X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCAChainGang
    Originally posted by cardsalltheway
    They made the right pick.
    I agree Reggie wouldnt help um and Carr is a good QB like it or not.
    At this moment i disagree.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
    XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
    Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
    http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

If I were the Texans I would have drafted Young and Bush before Mario. Reggie is a very blessed individuals and his abilities are seen less than Mario's.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingSharpe
        "
        But that Jamal Reynolds pick cost the Packers a chance at another Super Bowl because this team was close a few years back, despite getting NOTHING out of that high pick.

Actaully the packers didn't really lose out too much on that pick because they had KBG emerge into the talent they thought Reynolds would be. So you can't be more wrong when you say that the Reynolds pick cost them a chance at another superbowl.

look at KBG's development it is probally identical to what they expected outta Jamal.

Mario is the right pick for the Texans, because DE is the 3rd most important postion on the field. You can't even begin to harp on Mario because he played almost the entire year last year with a bad foot. You built championships in the trenches. Not with flashy skill postion players

Comment

Originally posted by Jango
          I think they made the right decision by taking Mario. Maybe they shouldn't have taken him at #1 but Williams was the right pick for the team.

There, I said it.
          Ya i believe they should have traded down at least 2-4 spots and probably still coulda nabbed him because he is a good player but @ #1 will always be regarded as the guy who went before Bush and Young

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by hugegmenfan
            I think they made the right decision by taking Mario. Maybe they shouldn't have taken him at #1 but Williams was the right pick for the team.

There, I said it.
            Ya i believe they should have traded down at least 2-4 spots and probably still coulda nabbed him because he is a good player but @ #1 will always be regarded as the guy who went before Bush and Young

Well Bush hasn't proven much, and could turn out to be nothing more than a Brian Westbrook who can stay healthy. Young still isn't all that great of a passer statistically, and could become a pretty big disappointment. In 3 years, if he's putting up the same numbers he did this year, he'll be considered a bust. Mario could be the next Julius Peppers.

I hate when people use that argument, because if all 3 players turn out great, NOBODY will mention it. It all started when Sam Bowie went before MJ. I got a trivia question for some people. Who was taken BEFORE Sam Bowie? I notice nobody talks about him going before MJ because he actually turned out to be a HOFer.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
            Originally posted by njx9
            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by hugegmenfan

There, I said it.
              I'm sure they tried to, but it is very, very difficult to trade down from a pick in the top 3.

Comment

i trade down to the #2 spot pick Mario and pickup an additional 3rd round and a 2nd round next year

former #1 in post count on this site
                first to 500 posts

Comment

I hate when people use that argument, because if all 3 players turn out great, NOBODY will mention it. It all started when Sam Bowie went before MJ. I got a trivia question for some people. Who was taken BEFORE Sam Bowie? I notice nobody talks about him going before MJ because he actually turned out to be a HOFer.
                  Hakim the Dream went first.
                  "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Originally posted by ks_perfection
                    Correct. But I bet alot of posters here don't know that, and also notice that nobody ever says "WOW Houston is dumb they passed on MJ"

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by ks_perfection
                      actually Akeem Abdul Olajuwon went first

Comment

• Everyone says they should have taken VY now that he's tearing it up in TN...

Where are all the people who were saying he was a bust who would never learn an NFL scheme 1 year ago? Or criticized his "right arm throwing motion"?

Add that to the fact that the Texans already have Carr who is mediocre and still young...people would have been taking all kinds of shots at the Texans if they had taken VY.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner
                          Originally posted by Namy
                          Reggie Bush. He was the Texans pick before they got butt hurt and took Williams instead. Someone on the first page said Bush wouldn't fit in the ZBS? Are you freaking kidding me??
                          The ZBS requires patience, the ability to break arm tackles, and for the runner to not dance. None of those are qualities Reggie Bush has.
                          All EASILY teachable. Patience is an easy maturing process that every RB will encounter. I don't see what you're trying to say about breaking arm tackles.... in ZBS you hit the hole once it opens up then bolt and do your thing once you hit the second level. That's it. It's pretty simple and I think bush would put up god like numbers if he's put in a good ZBS system.

Olaujuan being a HOFer definitely softens the blow, but please don't tell me you'd rather have him over MJ.

Projected win total: 55+

Comment

• More than anything I think the Texans needed a face of the franchise type player that will energize the fans in Houston and give them hope. Right now the team doesn't have a real personality and you have to question where they are going as a franchise.

The fact is that both Bush and Young have had a profound impact on the field for their respective teams. That's not to say that Williams has been bad, but realistically he's been the 3rd best rookie DE, behind Mark Anderson and Tamba Hali, and a guy like Kiwanuka hasn't been bad either.

Now let's say that each of the three players in question, Bush, Williams and Young reach their full potential, which players are going to be more condusive to winning football games? I think a franchise RB or QB ultimately wins more games for you than a franchise defensive end. And to this point the two guys that Houston didn't take have been flat out better than the guy they took. I've got nothing against taking a defensive approach in the draft, but with the #1 overall pick, when you've got your choice of any player on the board? It's just sort of unconventional, not to mention it alienates your fans and makes your organization look cheap for being scared of negotiating with the guy or guys who were widely viewed as the best players available. Especially when you've taken a down lineman with your first rounder they year prior.
                            aka KGB Chicken

Comment

• I too believe Mario Williams was the right pick. You win games in the trenches, not in the backfield. Almost all successful teams have a great OL, a great DL, or both. You can win without a franchise running back (see the Patriots of 2001 or the Buccaneers of 2002) and you can win without a franchise QB (see the Ravens of 2000 or the Buccaneers of 2002). But rarely can you win without a good OL and DL. Mario Williams was, and still is the second best DE prospect of the last 5-10 years. And while he hasn't produced up to this point like Young and Bush have, it doesn't mean he can't become a better player.

I believe that despite having better years, both Bush and Young's rookie seasons were overhyped. They both had their moments, but both have a long way to go. In my mind neither has proven to me that the Texans made a mistake in drafting Mario Williams. Bush has shown the ability to do special things with the ball in his hands, but he's been very sporadic this year. And, like it was mentioned numerous times, he was not a good fit for the ZBS at all. I hate to beat the same thing to death, but the prototypical RB for the ZBS is patient, with great vision, and the ability to make one cut and go. Bush has not shown any indication of those qualities as runner.

Vince Young on the otherhand, I believe gets too much credit for the Titans success. Now, I will admit he has exceeded mine as well as most of our expectations, but he is far from a sure thing. Watching the Titans games that I did this year, it seems to me that Titans' success has more to do with the teams' rallying around the young (no pun intended) rookie QB than it did just based on Young's peformance. I mean, he did have the second worst passer rating in the entire league and barely completed 50% of his passes. I'm really not sure the Texans would've had the same success as the Titans did, had they drafted Young.

But all three rookies have shown immense potential to go along with their question marks. But I still think that Mario was the correct pick. He plays [arguably] the most important position of the three and filled the biggest need at the time. You also have to remember that David Carr just received a contract extension and RB are not a high priority for a team running a ZBS. And finally, like it was pointed out, the Texans didn't even put much thought into taking Bush or Young. There were heavy rumors that their interest in Bush was a smokescreen and they never had any intention of taking him. And as for Young, they stopped considering him for their pick at least a month before the draft.

Comment

• I voted for Mario and it isn't even close in my mind. If Houston couldn't take Mario, they should have taken D'Brick.

Remember, Mario Williams was the leagues youngest starter last year and still only 21 years old. He is close to two years younger than Gaines Adams and Quinton Moses who are entering the draft this year.

Everybody knew Mario was going to be raw. Throw in his foot problems and you shouldn't have been expecting an all-pro rookie season.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information