No announcement yet.

HINDSIGHT 20/20 HOUSTON TEXANS Do-OVER 2006 DRAFT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yall are forgetting Rbs are a dime a dozen if Kubiak can implement his system correctly. Also Bush wasn't and won't be the best RB in that class MJD,Addai and Maroney will all be better nfl runners than him. And all of those guys would fit better in the zone blocking system than Bush would.

Comment

• I forget where I heard it but someone laid out a higharchy of positions when comparing Mario to Bush. First naturally was QB, second a WR, than DE, CB, LT and than a RB.

The reality is these days good RBs are everywhere, good DE aren't. Take Jon Abraham for example. If there was an injury prone great running back no way a team would trade a 1st rounder for him.
      "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

• I don't know if this was already mentioned, but when vince young beat the texans, the whole houston stadium was cheering, and then vince young jumped into the crowd and everyone was patting him on the back etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ks_perfection
          I forget where I heard it but someone laid out a higharchy of positions when comparing Mario to Bush. First naturally was QB, second a WR, than DE, CB, LT and than a RB.

The reality is these days good RBs are everywhere, good DE aren't. Take Jon Abraham for example. If there was an injury prone great running back no way a team would trade a 1st rounder for him.
          In certain schemes, e.g. a Tampa 2 style defense I can see where a DE is key. But having a great DE isn't the only way you can create pressure on the QB. And I'll agree that there are many token 1000-1200 yard running backs in the NFL, but there aren't alot of elite, MVP candidate 1600+ rushers.
          aka KGB Chicken

Comment

• Originally posted by San Diego Chicken
            Originally posted by ks_perfection
            I forget where I heard it but someone laid out a higharchy of positions when comparing Mario to Bush. First naturally was QB, second a WR, than DE, CB, LT and than a RB.

In certain schemes, e.g. a Tampa 2 style defense I can see where a DE is key. But having a great DE isn't the only way you can create pressure on the QB. And I'll agree that there are many token 1000-1200 yard running backs in the NFL, but there aren't alot of elite, MVP candidate 1600+ rushers.
            Well said!
            As good as Julius Peppers is, and Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney are, how many Super Bowls have the THREE WON COMBINED? How many for BRUCE SMITH or Reggie White?
            Just ONE, REggie, when he went to FAVRE's PACKERS.

Anytime you can get a special offensive skill player, you gotta take them. Gotta. Vince and Reggie are SPECIAL, as they proved in college for 2 years and showed right away this season in the NFL. DIFFERENCE MAKERS.

Comment

• Make no mistake, they made the right call by selecting Maio Williams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grid
                Make no mistake, they made the right call by selecting Maio Williams.
                No THEY did make a mistake. But I guess it will take a few years to convince some people.... or prove me wrong. So far, I think Tennessee and New Orleans are happy the Texans chose Mario.

Comment

• Originally posted by SterlingSharpe
                  Originally posted by Grid
                  Make no mistake, they made the right call by selecting Maio Williams.
                  No THEY did make a mistake. But I guess it will take a few years to convince some people.... or prove me wrong. So far, I think Tennessee and New Orleans are happy the Texans chose Mario.
                  But i'm sure the texans front office is fine with Mario, make a topic about this in three years or so.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
                  XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
                  Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
                  http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by SterlingSharpe
                    Anytime you can get a special offensive skill player, you gotta take them. Gotta. Vince and Reggie are SPECIAL, as they proved in college for 2 years and showed right away this season in the NFL. DIFFERENCE MAKERS.
                    Everyone agrees that defenses wins championships. But now you think that it's inexcusable to pass up a slot receiver/3rd down back? Sorry but that doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ks_perfection

...Which is something Reggie hasn't come close to proving he can.

Only one position ranks above DE, and that's QB. They thought they had their QB. Also, Vince, despite what everyone may be saying, hasn't proven he's a great QB yet. He got lucky a few times, and after a year of watching film on him, defenses will be ready, if he doesn't improve. Keep in mind, he had a very low passer rating(2nd lowest, I heard someone say) 51.7% completions, and a TD:INT ratio of less than one. He still needs to become a better passer. None of the top 3 picks have really proven anything yet, even though VY won OROY. They've all had struggles.

Keep in mind, I am a BIG VY fan and absolutely LOVE what he could become. But he's not there yet, and there is no guarantee he ever will.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver
                        Originally posted by SterlingSharpe
                        Everyone agrees that defenses wins championships. But now you think that it's inexcusable to pass up a slot receiver/3rd down back? Sorry but that doesn't make sense.
                        except the 2000 rams. That's what i think the colts are trying to running their game plan off of.

Comment

• Originally posted by soybean
                          Originally posted by Shiver
                          except the 2000 rams. That's what i think the colts are trying to running their game plan off of.

I think the Rams had a top 5 defense that year.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                          Originally posted by njx9
                          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• I think that everyone can agree that defense wins championships. I just want to point out though, that a defense wins a championship by playing as a collective unit. One defensive player does not make a defense, it's about finding a group of players to fit your scheme. If a defensive end was the most important position on the field, then Deacon Jones would be considered the greatest football player to ever live. For as long as the Ravens have been a dominant defense, have they had a truly dominant defensive end? Pryce or Suggs are very good but they fit into a scheme where versatility is key and all of the players in the front seven and secondary are able to make plays. The Bears seem to find pass rushers very easily in the draft and in free agency. I think the value in a dominant defensive lineman is overstated and I know it's not a perfect comparison but the Courtney Brown debacle should serve as some proof that it's not always a good idea to draft them with the first pick.

Just objectively looking at Houston's situation, their defense did improve slightly, but is still not near where they need to be even though they added two impact rookies. Their main problem is scoring points. Besides Andre Johnson they have no impact playmakers on offense. They need touchdown makers - Bush and Young are that and they will be scorers for a long time in my opinion. Houston's not winning anything as long as they are one of the weakest offensive teams in the league. I realize that they're trying to replicate the Bronco's style offense but it's important to realize that Shanahan is the mastermind behind it and it will be hard for Kubiak to achieve that type of success without good talent. Frankly they don't have that talent right now, not at RB, not at QB, not on the offensive line. They have one franchise reciever who is going to waste, and that is all.
                            aka KGB Chicken

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisCybulski
                              Originally posted by soybean
                              Originally posted by Shiver

I think the Rams had a top 5 defense that year.
                              Yea, the Rams had a good D that year, someone was throwing around their D stats, and they surprised me.

Comment

I just want to point out though, that a defense wins a championship by playing as a collective unit. One defensive player does not make a defense, it's about finding a group of players to fit your scheme. If a defensive end was the most important position on the field, then Deacon Jones would be considered the greatest football player to ever live.
                                i'm sure you see how this could easily be swapped out with offense. great quarterbacks don't guarantee championships. ask marino. great running backs definitely don't. ask payton why he finally won one. or sayers why he didn't. or jim brown for that matter. or, if you'd like to get current, ask LT where his is.

bottom line, i don't buy for one second that anyone can succesfully make the argument that DE is a less important position than, say, RB or that it should necessarily be drafted any lower.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information