Bucs declare Jeff Garcia as #1 QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    Newsflash: Gruden takes experienced veteran over youngster with potential at quarterback.

This shouldn't surprise anyone.
    Really?

Is that why Gruden started a rookie 6th round draft pick last year when Simms got hurt? It isn't like Tim Rattay, a 7 year vet, was sitting on the bench.

Garcia getting the early nod doesn't suprise me because he's a better QB than Simms. Despite the fact that he's an experienced veteran.
    "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
      I find that funny, specifically because Chris Simms had nothing to do with those victories. (or losses, depending on perspective.)
      Very profound statement. Our starting QB had nothing to do with our victories.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
        I'd agree. I think Joseph will be solid this year. Trueblood had some growing pains last year, but I'm optimistic he'll progress. Run blocking on the right side should be improved, in previous years the Bucs rarely ran to the right.
        Pessimists.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
          Simms has really only had 1 really good game in his career. During the regular season vs. Skins in 05. Other than that it is some average play, some below average play, and some horrid play. He has never consistently proven that he can play at even an above average level. As a Buc fan I wish to god he would, because he represents the franchise's best option in terms of long term stability at the QB spot. But, he hasn't and Garcia being the early favorite is neither suprising nor disappointing based on Simms career to date.
          Statistically yes, but there's been other occasions where he's played well at points in games to help his team win. Overall his stats might not have been great but on a day where he completes 50% of his passes for example doesn't matter if on one drive he goes 7/7 and 1 TD to close out the game and secure a win.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
            Griese got injured, that's why Simms went in, when he started playing well there was no reason to bench him.

Simms has all the tools, he just needs to put it all together, fact is his receivers simply aren't that great.
            What? I mentioned Simms going in due to Griese's injury!

This is going off of "winning games" posts that preceded mine. If all that mattered was winning games, we wouldn't have gotten rid of our 5-1 QB for the one who went 6-5. But we did.

Simms has had all the tools since we drafted him, but he's NEVER put it all together. The one year that he was declared THE guy, he played terrible for 3 games where he could barely get the ball over the DL, and then went down. Now, he's ever admitted he doesn't have his timing back even though he's 100%. So why is everyone backing this kid? Because he's younger, thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
              I don't think so, I think he did well when he needed to in most games that he won, granted he got a great amount of support, but at the same time he did well. Sure the stats are skewed, but if he had a nice drive when it was needed, he can't be all bad.
              If people can take away from Jeff Garcia's play, I don't see why they can't take away from Simms' on the same premise....

Comment

I haven't said anything negative about Garcia, I think he's the better choice...

Comment

Sorry about the misleading title. ESPN titled it with the same title on their main page a few days back

Comment

Clearly Garcia aint the future he's the now. Do they think they are playoff bound with him at the helm ? No I didnt think so either hand it to Simms and let the young guy get his confidence back and build cohesion

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

So this would suggest that the Bucs are out looking for a QB, next year, maybe Booty, Brennan, Henne,

Comment

Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
                        Clearly Garcia aint the future he's the now. Do they think they are playoff bound with him at the helm ? No I didnt think so either hand it to Simms and let the young guy get his confidence back and build cohesion
                        Yes, exactly...
                        Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                        So this would suggest that the Bucs are out looking for a QB, next year, maybe Booty, Brennan, Henne,
                        Maybe Brohm if Garcia is running our offense...

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
                          Get his confidence back? First and foremost I would argue that Simms never displayed any level of confidence on the field, and any confidence he did show in 2005 was gone in 2006.

How long does it take for him to get his confidence? This isn't a 1st or 2nd year QB here. Simms is a lot closer to 30 than he is 20, and he's been in the league a while.

If Garcia is indeed the starter, as Gruden is hinting, that is a definite signal that the Bucs need to address the QB spot for the long haul, cause Garcia aint it.
                          "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                            Very profound statement. Our starting QB had nothing to do with our victories.
                            The QB position's impact on games is overstated to the extreme. Simms didn't do anything noteworthy, that a bunch of other Quarterbacks could easily have done as well, to 'win' those games. The only Quarterbacks that have a legitimate claim at the "QB W/L quota" is Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Maybe a few others. Chris Simms is more in the Trent Dilfer, 'along for the ride,' category.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                              The QB position's impact on games is overstated to the extreme. Simms didn't do anything noteworthy, that a bunch of other Quarterbacks could easily have done as well, to 'win' those games. The only Quarterbacks that have a legitimate claim at the "QB W/L quota" is Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Maybe a few others. Chris Simms is more in the Trent Dilfer, 'along for the ride,' category.
                              I agree with your first statement, however it is unfair to give Simms 0 credit and say he had nothing to do with our victories and success in 05.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

People are making an awfully big deal about something that was said before training camp. Any of the 3 quarterbacks on Tampa Bay could be starting by week one. Until training camp happens, this talk is all meaningless.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information