No announcement yet.

Who is the NFL's One Major Icon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't because I live in Green Bay or cheer for the Packers, but Brett Favre has to be it. If there's a player in the league that the majority of people can relate with and take in it is Brett. Brett is a hard-nosed southern boy from Mississippi. He plays the game of football like a kid and has a genuine enthusiasm for the game. He's faced the personal lows that many fans can relate whether it's losing a family member or having a family member go through a devastating disease. Favre may not eat up the TV like Manning but most people gravitate to Favre because he is them.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

You know the Greek gods? Brett Favre's one step above that.

Comment

When i think of sports right now...

MLB - Jeter, Bonds, ARod, and Pujols
        NFL - Manning, Brady, Vick, and Chad Johnson (He beat a horse)
        NHL - Ovechkin or Crosby
        NBA - Kobe, Wade, or LBJ

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs

Comment

People took this to a broader scale then I would thought. I was asking for a one significant figure for the sports whole lifetime. Basketball is MJ, Baseball is Ruth, but question is does football have this figure, this legend. and people come up here with Reggie Bush? WTF

Comment

Manning as of right now

Of all-time... Jerry Rice, simply because I believe that non-football enthusiast see him as a reconziable face.

Although who could forget the "Gee Thanks Mean Joe" commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
              and chad johnson.

i think, in football, there's no way to look for a single player. i mean, i could say unitas. but then there's montana, marino, elway, etc.

i guess i'm not even sure you can say jordan's as iconic as you're giving him credit for. bill russell? wilt chamberlain? i'm not really trying hard, but i think in any sport, it's difficult to point out a single guy and say "he's basketball" or "he's football". i guess, if we're looking for a jordan like player, it would be difficult to not say montana, in terms of stature in the game. but again, in both sports (and in hockey, and probably in baseball), there are so many arguments one could make.
              Something about Ruth and Jordan, aside there success and performance on the field and court, they transcended there respective sports. Ruth's charisma and personality brought baseball to a wider audience, he made it accessible. Ruth was really the first athlete that became a celebrity. Samething for Jordan. A marketing and money cow whose name is goes beyond basketball, it is a brand and corporation. People in Japan, Austarli, Uk know these names. They are Icons. They are the biggest names to ever play in there sport. And with there stature, doesn't come with the title as "greatest ever", but rather thety are known as winners, marketers, personalities and apart of a America's Culture.

Comment

The guy whose face is plastered on every conceivable advertisement, Peyton Manning.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

LT?

Lawrence Taylor i mean.

Sig by yours truly.

Comment

Throw out all these other names for the NBA.. The most POLARIZING figure in the sport today is none other than Kobe Bryant.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                      People took this to a broader scale then I would thought. I was asking for a one significant figure for the sports whole lifetime. Basketball is MJ, Baseball is Ruth, but question is does football have this figure, this legend. and people come up here with Reggie Bush? WTF
                      ask people who dont watch or know anything about football and whose name will they say is recognizable? vince lombardi?

besides the all time answer is probably jerry rice then.

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                        Throw out all these other names for the NBA.. The most POLARIZING figure in the sport today is none other than Kobe Bryant.

Michael Vick is in the discussion in regards to most polarizing. He has been the most discussed and debated player in the NFL for five years now.

Comment

I would say Rice, he dominated his position in a way no other player has.
                          Marino's records could soon be broken by Favre. Emitt did only but so much better than Payton. Nobody outside of the football world pays attention to OL or DL. And the only defensive playr that jumps out at non-fans is Ray Lewis and thats because he was arrested. The best way to tell who the major icon of the NFL is to ask women, who dont play sports/follow football, if they know any names of NFL players

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
                            ask people who dont watch or know anything about football and whose name will they say is recognizable? vince lombardi?

besides the all time answer is probably jerry rice then.
                            It sure ain't Reggie bush, that's for danm sure. Whoever pulled that name out should be banished from here, he hasn't done anything in the NFL to even be in the conversation as "The" NFL Icon, ridiculous.
                            Last edited by Paul; 06-12-2007, 04:17 PM.

Comment

John Madden, John Madden, John Madden.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan912 View Post
                                Roger Clemens? Are you kidding me? Greg Maddux is 10 times the pitcher he is, without a doubt. If you want to call anyone the modern day Cy Young, it's Greg Maddux. The only reason Clemens name is in the news is because he is with the Yankees.

MLB "Icons" - Current - Pujols, Mauer, Arod, Bonds, Jeter, Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, Ortiz, Manny, the Young Mets (Wright and Reyes), and so on.
                                MLB Past "Icons" - Pete Rose, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, the Babe, Nolan Ryan, Lou Gerhig, Joe Dimaggio, ect.
                                Match up stat for stat and Clemens OWNS everyone of the last 20 years.
                                He's without a doubt a top 10 pitcher of all time.
                                The only other players you can even put into that category should be less
                                than 10...and for pitchers there isn't another one.
                                Clemens has excelled wherever he's been. Maddux did what with the Cubs ? ummm what with the Padres ?? He was the elite' beneficiary of a solid Braves team that made 3 world series apperances during Maddox's best years ...but Clemens to a very average 86 RedSox team to within a
                                few outs of being a world champion. I'd doubt very much if you could name 1/2 of that red sox starting lineup without googling it. They were a 1 man show and that 1 man was the rocket.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information