No announcement yet.

Who is the NFL's One Major Icon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone overseas I can probably best gauge how they are reflected outside the US where regional bias will have an affect on who people think.

For basketball it was Jordan, still is Jordan and always will be Jordan. Shaq is easily the 2nd biggest, most people in Australia dont even know who LeBron is and couldn't care less. Basketball is a dieing sport.

Hockey it's Gretzky, not that many people care at all, but Gretzky is easily the man in hockey.

Baseball is Babe Ruth. Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr are the other well known guys. Baseball like basketball was most popular here in the mid 90's and has basically fallen off the map since, even more so than basketball.

For football its Marino, Rice, Elway, Montana and Emmitt. Barry Sanders is also popular. The sport isnt big by any means over here, but those are the names the average person could name.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

At first I was really surprised to see Farve ranked higher than Manning/Brady in that poll. But it makes sense when you think about how people perseive them, Farve has that average Joe look that people can relate to. Golden Boy Brady and perfectionistic Manning definitly don't have that.
      "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Originally posted by ks_perfection View Post
        At first I was really surprised to see Farve ranked higher than Manning/Brady in that poll. But it makes sense when you think about how people perseive them, Farve has that average Joe look that people can relate to. Golden Boy Brady and perfectionistic Manning definitly don't have that.
        I agree that the likability factor helps him in the poll. But his acomplishments over the last 16 years are nothing to sneeze at. The team has been on the decline for a while and Favres receivers have been blah for several years so his stats havent been to impressive. I thought that would make him drop down in a poll like this, but that average joe personality, his devotion to the game and that backyard style of play is what fans enjoy. He puts on a heck of a show.
        Last edited by Football Fan; 07-05-2007, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Brett Favre maybe

Comment

Die furur, Brett Favre.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

I say football, I think Patriots (well, outside of the Falcons). So, I would say Tom Brady. Then again, I am a new fan to the game.

Basketball- Jordan. LeBron will be there (hopefully) one day.

Hockey- Gretzky

Baseball- Maybe because I'm a relatively new sports fan (and just started watching baseball on a consistent basis this year) but I think Hank Aaron.

Golf- Tiger Woods

Tennis- Roger Federer

Swimming- Michael Phelps

I'd say those are the dominant athletes of today, especially Woods, Federer, and Phelps. All three will go down as (possibly) the top players to play in their respective sports. LeBron (and Peyton and maybe Brady and Bonds) has a shot at that too.
              Virginia Tech.
              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information