Willie Roaf to go in HOF as a Saint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbeans187 View Post
    This might sound dumb but i had no idea he ever played for the Saints. Was he a good player there or did he get better when he joined the Chiefs?
    Yes, he started all 16 games as a Rookie and then went on to make 7 Pro-Bowl appearances as a Saint.

He spent 9 out of 13 of his seasons in New Orleans, but he is mostly remembered for his time as a Chief. Mainly because he played a big part in a dominant KC O-line along with Will Shields, and Brian Waters paving the way for huge rushing years for Priest Holmes, and Larry Johnson.

Regardless he was one of the best Left tackles of this era right up there with Anthony Munoz, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden..

Comment

Being a life long Saints fan this makes me warm inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
        Is this really as big a deal as it is in baseball? Matter of fact, isn't baseball the only sport you really "go in as" a member of a certain team? Just curious, I've never heard anyone make a big deal about it in any other sport...
        Yeah, this really doesn't make any sense. In football they don't go in for a certain team.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron View Post
          Yes, he started all 16 games as a Rookie and then went on to make 7 Pro-Bowl appearances as a Saint.

Add four more pro bowls with the Chiefs after that not a bad days work Roaf was not one of those players that went to the PB on name alone he earned it.

Comment

It's a tremendous honor to have Roaf enter the Hall of Fame as a Saint. He was a class act on the field and off and he deserves all the praise he gets.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
            WHO DAT!

Comment

I have no idea how the man could run on game day he had trouble even walking any other day of the week.

Comment

Cortizone(or however you spell it) works wonders.

And on the HOF web site there is a way to sort hall of famers by Franchise so I think it does matter what team he goes in as. Thats how it seems anyways.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!

Comment

Just noticed this but Willie won't be the first Saint in the HOF. The late great Jim Finks was inducted in '95. He was one of the best GMs of all time and, from what I hear from older people, a hell of a person as well.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!

Comment

I'll always love Willie Roaf. He was an absolute monster for so long it was easy to take him for granted.

Comment

Pace, Jones, and Ogden are all great but none of them compare Roaf. I have seen each of them struggle with certain players. Freeney gave Ogden fits, for example. Roaf completely dominated any DE he went up against.

People give the Chiefs defense crap for the 2003 playoff loss where they didn't force a single punt. What they always fail to mention is that the Chiefs did not punt either. A big part of that is that Roaf completely dominated Dwight Freeney. Freeney and Mathis were complete non-factors against Roaf and Tait.

IMO the line of Roaf-Waters-Wiegmann-Shields-Tait was the best of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                        Pace, Jones, and Ogden are all great but none of them compare Roaf. I have seen each of them struggle with certain players. Freeney gave Ogden fits, for example. Roaf completely dominated any DE he went up against.

People give the Chiefs defense crap for the 2003 playoff loss where they didn't force a single punt. What they always fail to mention is that the Chiefs did not punt either. A big part of that is that Roaf completely dominated Dwight Freeney. Freeney and Mathis were complete non-factors against Roaf and Tait.

IMO the line of Roaf-Waters-Wiegmann-Shields-Tait was the best of all time.

LMAO

Comment

^ eh, Roaf was a great player but I'm not sure he was better in his prime that Pace and Odgen. Boselli was the greatest OT I've ever seen since Anthony Munoz though.

Comment

Originally posted by marks01234 View Post
                            ^ eh, Roaf was a great player but I'm not sure he was better in his prime that Pace and Odgen. Boselli was the greatest OT I've ever seen since Anthony Munoz though.
                            Freeney gave Ogden fits.

There is a reason Roaf went to 10+ pro bowls. He is one of the greatest of all time.

I'm still pissed at him though for quitting on his team at the time he did.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                              Freeney gave Ogden fits.

There is a reason Roaf went to 10+ pro bowls. He is one of the greatest of all time.

I'm still pissed at him though for quitting on his team at the time he did.
                              Yeah, I'm sure there wasn't a single DE who ever gave Roaf trouble...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information