No announcement yet.

Jaguars release S Darius

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get on this Eagles. He went to Syracuse with McNabb so maybe Donovan could persuade the front office to sign him. Him and Dawkins would be a nasty hard hitting tandem.

Comment

God delaying Considine starting yet another year would be amazing...GET HIM EAGLES!

Comment

anybody have any idea where darius is gonna end up?...i havent heard anything at all

Comment

I'd like to see him in Carolina outside of minter there's no one.

Comment

Originally posted by reese View Post
            anybody have any idea where darius is gonna end up?...i havent heard anything at all
            http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10227186

SAFETY DANCE

Former Jacksonville safety Donovin Darius, whom the Jaguars released June 14 after previously designating him as their franchise player three consecutive years, already is drawing interest around the league.
            Buffalo, Carolina and Oakland already have expressed an interest, which shouldn't be overly surprising. No team has a greater need for a veteran safety of Darius' ilk than the Panthers.

Carolina's top safeties appear to be former fourth-round pick Nate Salley and veteran Mike Minter. The Panthers could not add more safety help through the draft and now might be able to do it through free agency.
            Buffalo's top two safeties are former first-round pick Donte Whitner and former fourth-round pick Ko Simpson. Oakland lines up former first-round pick Michael Huff and former third-round pick Stuart Schweigert.
            Some around the league think the Eagles still could make a run at Darius, a former college teammate of Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb. The Eagles have been exploring the possibility of signing former Chiefs safety Sammy Knight, who recently was released. Darius is considered a better safety, but he will be a pricier one, too.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10227186

SAFETY DANCE

Former Jacksonville safety Donovin Darius, whom the Jaguars released June 14 after previously designating him as their franchise player three consecutive years, already is drawing interest around the league.
              Buffalo, Carolina and Oakland already have expressed an interest, which shouldn't be overly surprising. No team has a greater need for a veteran safety of Darius' ilk than the Panthers.

Carolina's top safeties appear to be former fourth-round pick Nate Salley and veteran Mike Minter. The Panthers could not add more safety help through the draft and now might be able to do it through free agency.
              Buffalo's top two safeties are former first-round pick Donte Whitner and former fourth-round pick Ko Simpson. Oakland lines up former first-round pick Michael Huff and former third-round pick Stuart Schweigert.
              Some around the league think the Eagles still could make a run at Darius, a former college teammate of Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb. The Eagles have been exploring the possibility of signing former Chiefs safety Sammy Knight, who recently was released. Darius is considered a better safety, but he will be a pricier one, too.

Oh how predictable of the Eagles. We need to save money so we can get a 17th D-lineman, I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                Oh how predictable of the Eagles. We need to save money so we can get a 17th D-lineman, I forgot.
                Knight and Darius are both safeties, don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

I meant not shelling out for the best available. Sign Knight cheap, grab another DT, or sign Darius, who is the perfect compliment to Dawkins, even though he costs more. Tough call.

Comment

hopefully green bay makes a move...not getting my hopes up though

sig by diehardvikingsfan

IN TED WE TRUST

Comment

I would think that....

Tennessee might want to look at him, frankly, just like Hope in Pittsburgh, he could be a solid Coverage safety, and allow Darius to play the hard hitter, as Hope is the middle field monster.

Houston, Darius would be a huge upgrade over Glenn Earl.

Cleveland... I don't think it would be his strongsuit, but Sean Jones might be a solid FS and Darius could provide some run support.

Cincinnati... He would be a solid upgrade over Dexter Jackson and could teach Marvin White the nuances of the position.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

DD should be a Packer!

The Packers are calling your name!

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                          I'd like to see him in Carolina outside of minter there's no one.
                          I find it funny that the team says they are confident in there guys at the position but show immediate interest in Darius.

So we can prolong the development of anyone else at the position? We need to look within the team for an answer instead of hoping a 10 year veteran coming off serious injuries can pump out another solid season.

I doubt we sign Darius to more than a pretty good one year contract. So, lets say we do. What happens if Darius goes down in the middle of the season? We will throw Salley in there. Give him a vote of confidence (we were so confident in him we felt the need to bring in Darius) and then if he does make a mistake, as many players who have never started do, we will bench him.

Bit pessimistic? Yes, lets look at it another way. He does awesome, plays near a probowl level. A guy his age coming off a good season is going to look for the money, and get it while he can. So, he leaves and Minter retires. Now we have exactly zero starting experience, and no feel for playing with the starters.

If we do bring him in, I expect Salley to have the job until he loses it by not performing on the field. Salley has been the one going to the OTAs and working his butt off to be the starter. And I don't mean Salley loses it in training camp, because that to me would be total BS.

Comment

Nate Salley is garbage, he's so bad he couldn't even play special teams without blowing coverage last year. He's basically a worse version of Dwayne Slay

Darius fits the bill for what Carolina's done at safety over the past few years. Will they keep that as their plan? Who knows, but not signing him to "get young" because it would "delay development" at the position is asinine. I could understand if there was someone to develop, but there isn't. CJ Wilson is the most talented safety after Minter on the roster, and he's a rookie who played CB in college.

As for the Jags, good move. Sensabaugh will be a player in the league and Darius is at the end of the rope

Comment

I agree with schizo, I've been surprised before plesantly by players the team's been high on, like Drew Carter.

Yet, I've also been heavily disappointed. Salley could be a decent safety, but I'm not comfortable with him being the only option. What if he gets injured?

We need insurance, we signed McCree to be insurance, in the a similar situation and he ended up playing great for us. We can get a decent safety next year in FA or the draft or through trade but right now we need a patch work.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information