66. Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State
    67. Tim Barnes, C, Missouri
    68. James Carpenter, OT, Alabama
    69. Clint Boling, OG, Georgia
    70. Colin McCarthy, ILB, Miami
    71. Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina
    72. Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh
    73. Ahmad Black, SS, Florida
    74. Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock (PA)
    75. Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford
    Last edited by fenikz; 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM.

Comment

PATRICK ************* PETERSON

Comment

Wow. Ryan Williams. All of my PP joy has now worn off.

Comment

Hate the pick all you want but don't hate the player. Ryan Williams is a beast and was every bit as good as Mark Ingram in 09. In a class like this you have to go BPA and the Cardinals are doing that.

Williams, Hyphen, and Hightower is a solid trio, we need a running game and Beanie Wells simply could not get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
            Hate the pick all you want but don't hate the player. Ryan Williams is a beast and was every bit as good as Mark Ingram in 09. In a class like this you have to go BPA and the Cardinals are doing that.

Williams, Hyphen, and Hightower is a solid trio, we need a running game and Beanie Wells simply could not get it done.
            I don't have a problem with Williams I think he can be a good RB I just hate picking a RB in that spot. Hightowers contract is up, I think the pick means he is gone and the rotation will be Wells/Williams with the occasional Hyphen.

Update!

Whiz on R. Williams: "He hasn't fumbled in two years. I like that, since it's certainly been an issue for our backs the last couple of yrs."
            kentsomers Kent Somers
            by Cardschatter
            Quick google search reveals Williams fumbled at least twice in '09, 1 cost the Hokies the NC game.
            From Scott

• Fumbled too much and must take better care of ball
            I hope that wasn't a big reason they drafted him.
            Last edited by Stranger; 04-29-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

It's not the fact that the Cards took Williams, it's the fact that they took him with players like Brooks Reed still on the board. RB's are falling out favor in the NFL and the Cards lack any sort of pass rush. Reed was good value there at a position of need.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Wells is just not good, he doesn't hit the hole and just stumbles around in the backfield. Hopefully we keep hightower over him, along with hyphen and williams i think we would have a legit running game. Really not sure what to think about Housler, his combine is insane but it's just a strange pick. Love Acho in the 4th entirely makes up for passing on Reed and i feel he is every bit as good(very similar infact)

Comment

Welcome to the newest Cardinals!

1. CB Patrick Peterson
                  2. RB Ryan Williams
                  3. TE Robert Housler
                  4. DE Sam Acho
                  5. FB Anthony Sherman
                  6. ILB Quan Sturdivant
                  6. DT David Carter (3-4 DE)
                  7. WR Demarco Sampson

Whis via Sando

"It's a little unrealistic to think that you could address every need in the draft," coach Ken Whisenhunt told reporters Saturday. "The thing that kind of really stood out to me was we had three, that I know of, what we considered the best players at their positions in the draft, and we got them. That’s kind of unusual."

Those players: Peterson, second-round running back Ryan Williams and fifth-round fullback Anthony Sherman.
                  I have mixed feelings over the draft but am excited to see how the team shapes up after free agency. To be honest I would have prefered if we were more aggresive in finding pass rush talent but in the end whoever we drafted wasn't going to make that much of an impact this year. I have a good feeling about Schoefield so hopefully he steps up big this year.

I hope the FO was smart enough to give out as many of the playbooks as possible to the few players who were there in the one day they could. With no CBA/no negotiations their contracts I guess there is nothing stopping the draft picks getting together with some of the Cardinals.
                  Anyway hopefully the lockout ends soon although I highly doubt it.

Comment

I personally love our picks, the only real negative I think is we didn't address O-Line.

1. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - The 1 player in this draft that I considered an elite talent and he fell to us at 5, I think Denver and Buffalo will really regret passing on him, a shutdown corner is as valuable as any position if not more so, besides QB. Having him opens up the entire playbook for Horton, he can dial up crazy blitzes and run a lot of diverse schemes with Peterson & DRC on the outside.

Grade: A+

2. Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech - Obviously this is the most controversial pick, passing on guys like Brooks Reed, Justin Houston & Martez Wilson for a RB. The fact of the matter is Stumble & Fumble just aren't getting it done. Hightower is a FA and will most likely be let go while Wells will be on a short leash. I expect that Williams will start to get about 20 touches a game towards midseason with Hyphen getting around 15 as we phase Beanie Wells out. I truly believe that Williams is every bit the RB that Mark Ingram is.

Grade: B-

3. Robert Housler, TE, FAU - Besides DeMarco Sampson this is the pick I know the least about. He is a freak athlete simply put, 6'5 - 248 lbs, 34 1/2" arms, 4.46 40, 37" vert, 22 reps of 225 & 9'9" broad jump. He instantly becomes the fastest receiver on the team and scouts are in love with him. Was often used in practices to imitate spread/option QB so a possible wildcat QB option.

Grade: B

4. Sam Acho, OLB, Texas - Simply love this pick, I really don't see much of a drop off from Reed to Acho, both are high motor guys and he is every bit the athlete that Reed is. Acho is one of the smartest football players in the nation and played OLB for 2 years before moving to DE so he has experience standing and moving in space.

Grade: A+

5. Anthony Sherman, FB, UConn - While FB isn't premiere position it was one of our biggest needs and is a necessity if we truly want to become a power running team. Sherman is great at both run and pass blocking and should really help open some holes for who ever is in the backfield. Sherman is also a special teams ace and team captain, he should be a starter for years to come.

Grade: B+

6a. Quan Sturdivant, ILB, North Carolina - Simply a steal imo, he missed 5 games in 2011 because of a ham string injury but it's nothing that should affect his future play. Not the usual high character guy that Whis/Grave normally select but he was far too talented to pass on. He & Washington are the future inside of our 3-4 and imo it's a very bright one. While I don't expect him to start anytime this year he should be pushing Lennon very hard for playing time by next season and should lead to Gerald Hayes being cut which will save us some money to either pursue a QB or O-Line help.

Grade: A

6b. David Carter, DE, UCLA - A standout from the Shrine Game,C Carter has been rising up draft boards all offseason. Brother of Fresno State DE Chris Carter(drafted by the Steelers in the 5th) he was only a 1 year starter and did not get a combine invite. With Iwebema, Branch, & Watson become FA as well as Robinson getting up there in age, DL depth was certainly need and Carter seems like he can become a solid rotational player

Grade: B-

7. DeMarco Sampson, WR, San Diego State - A lot older than you would like your prospects to be(25) missed his 1st 2 seasons after tearing every ligament in his left foot. He was the Aztecs go to guy on 3rd down and put up some very good numbers in workouts(4.41 40, 35 1/2" vert, 10' broad jump) he has potential but needs to work very hard to make up for the time he lost due to injury.

Grade: C+

-

Overall: B+

could of very easily been an A had we addressed O-line

PS: Rumors are that Patrick Peterson will wear #21 and Quan Sturdivant #52, only 2 numbers if heard so far.

Comment

Congrats on Williams. He's a monster if healthy. Whis said he was the fifteenth best player on your board.

Also, he will definitely try to get number 34. Lil' Sweetness.
                      Virginia Tech.
                      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

It's Hightower's right now but he is a FA and many expect we won't resign him after this pick. At 1st I was very meh on the selection then I went back and watched some 09 stuff, absolutely in love with the guy now, might be my favorite pick besides PP and I think he can be a truly special RB in the NFL.

Comment

According to Seth Pollack of SB Nation Arizona reported today that before the lockout was abruptly back on last week, the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles had a deal in place to send Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb to Arizona in exchange for a 2012 NFL Draft first round pick.
                          http://raisingzona.com/2011/05/02/mo...er-kevin-kolb/

Comment

Dear God no.

BoneKrusher

Comment

way too early 53 man roster

QB Vet - Skelton - Hall
                              RB Hightower* - Wells - Williams - Hyphen
                              FB Sherman
                              TE Dray - Housler - Spach
                              WR Fitzgerald - Breaston* - Roberts - Doucet - Williams - Sampson
                              LT Brown - Bridges
                              LG Faneca* - Hadnot
                              C Sendlein* - Claxton
                              RG Lutui*
                              RT Keith

UT Dockett - Branch* - Davis

NT Williams - Watson
                              LE Campbell - Iwebema
                              ROLB Schofield - Davis
                              SILB Lenon - Sturdivant
                              WILB Washington - Walker*
                              LOLB Haggans - Acho
                              CB DRC - Adams - Jefferson
                              FS Rhodes - Johnson
                              SS Wilson - Ware - Abdullah
                              CB Peterson - Toler

K Feeley

P Graham
                              LS Leach

* = FA

Left off guys like Anderson, Porter, Hayes as I expect they will be cut because of their high cost and low production. OL & QB obviously our biggest issues, Sendlein I expect to resign, Faneca will either retire or resign imo, Lutui I'm not sure on wasn't so happy about his contract or tender(but no one matched it) but how many other teams would start him. We might also go after another Vet OLB to help bring Schofield and Acho along.

Top current FA options
                              QB : Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Billy Volek, Bruce Gradkowski, Alex Smith
                              OG: Harvey Dahl, Justin Blalock, Kyle Kosier, Chris Chester, Davin Joseph, Derrick Dockery, Robert Gallery
                              C: Olin Kreutz, Chris Spencer, Casey Wiegmann, Samson Satele, Jonathan Goodwin
                              OLB: Mathias Kiwanuka, Manny Lawson, Matt Roth, Antwan Barnes, Mike Vrabel, Prescott Burgess
                              Last edited by fenikz; 05-06-2011, 12:44 AM.

Comment

No Kevin Kolb on that list?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information