X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Draft/Offseason Thread

Obviously a little early but I think it deserves its own place

right now this would be my ideal off-season

1. Acquire a starter quality vet QB, either FA signing or through a trade, wouldn't want to give up anymore than a 3rd though, unless it happens to be Mike Vick which realistically isn't an option the Bidwells have never like players with character concerns.

some options:

Marc Bulger, FA - PFT recently released a story saying that Whis wanted him but the Bidwells simply wouldn't pony up the cash, they know now to listen to the Whis

Donovan McNabb, Was - While it does seem like Andy Reid is what makes the QB world go round he hasn't been terrible in Washington and Arizona has far better weapons, he is mobile enough to not get wrecked in the pocket and seems like he could be a good mentor for Skelton

Kyle Orton, FA - Certainly a capable passing QB despite the performance he just had vs us, not the greatest athlete but like Warner a quick release can make up for a lack of mobility

Alex Smith, FA - 49ers will have to decide which Smith to keep after the season, if they like Troy Smith going forward Alex will in all likely-hood become a free agent & he has the athleticism to move around in the pocket which is a must behind our line

2. Draft BPA in the 1st round - Simply can never afford to reach on a position of need with the current rookie scale, while that may change I very much doubt it will, ideally we end up with one of Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara, with Robert Quinn or maybe Brandon Harris being fall back options

3. Draft BPA at position of need in the 2nd - in an Ideal world we get one of the 2 stud corners and then grab a 3-4 OLB or OT in the 2nd.

3-4 OLB options: Von Miller, Justin Houston, Jeremy Beal
    CB options - Brandon Burton, Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams, Ras-I Dowling
    OT options: Gabe Carimi, Nate Solder, DeMarcus Love, Tyron Smith, with a outside chance at Anthony Costanzo or Derrek Sherrod

4. Draft the remaining position of need in the 3rd- Hopefully everything has gone to plan at this point and we have filled 2 of our positions of need.

3-4 OLB options: Jabaal Sheard, Dontay Moch, Steven Friday
    CB options: Kendric Burney, Davon House, Brandon Hogan
    OT options: Benjamin Ijalana, Lee Ziemba, Jason Pinkston

-

so in my perfect world the Cardinals get Marc Bulger, Prince Amukamara, Von Miller, & Benjamin Ijalana & return to glory in 2011

Even if we sign a veteran I would be very suprised if we passed up one of the top QBs in the draft.

Currently the teams picking ahead of us are:

Panthers: Have Clausen but doubt that stops them drafting Luck.
    Bengals: May stay with Palmer, although I wouldn't.
    Denver: New coach but will probably go with Orton or Tebow.
    Detroit: Stafford
    Buffalo: Fitzpatrick has played well but they will probably go QB as well.

So 2/3 QB needy teams may pick before us. We will probably end up with one of Mallet/Locker/Newton. Haven't watched much college football so don't really have a preference although former eagle scout Whis might not want Newton or Mallet (if the bad attitude stuff is true). Otherwise I think we go CB/edge rusher in the early rounds and probably TE/OT/MLB?C? in the latter part of the draft.

To be honest what I really want is a new DC, not a big Davis fan. Wade Phillips anyone?

Comment

Ya I don't get our defense, too high & low, have more touchdowns than any team in the league but also give up a ton of points. Some of that can be contributed to the pure ineptitude of the offense but not all of it. Biggest thing i have a gripe with is DRC & Toler playing sides not matchups, DRC should always be on the #1 WR

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
        Ya I don't get our defense, too high & low, have more touchdowns than any team in the league but also give up a ton of points. Some of that can be contributed to the pure ineptitude of the offense but not all of it. Biggest thing i have a gripe with is DRC & Toler playing sides not matchups, DRC should always be on the #1 WR
        My biggest problem with the defense is that I can only think of a couple games over the last few years where the team needed them to close out a game and they have come through. The Texans game last year (looked it up) we were up 3 TDs then promptly gave up three second half TDs. Then DRC returned an INT to put us back up before we let them drive to the one before stopping them, mostly due to them having no goal line back at the time. The second one was the NFCCG although to be honest I remember McNabb missing two WIDE open receivers on second and third down before a 50/50 no PI call on 4th down. Pretty much any time an opposing offense has a shot to win/tie the game late I fully expect them to.

/rant.

Comment

those were all Clancy Pendergast, Bill Davis took over last year, we did let the Packers back in the game before forcing the winning TD on defense

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
            those were all Clancy Pendergast, Bill Davis took over last year, we did let the Packers back in the game before forcing the winning TD on defense
            Meh the Texans game was last year. The green bay game the defense let them score 5 second half TDs to let the game go to overtime, they did win it in the end though. From last year as well the 49ers won with a long TD drive in the 4th (although the offense stalled after that) and the 99 yard game winning drive for the Titans. Looking at it now the defense did pick off Manning to win the Giants game.

Not trying to sound negative, I like Davis more than Clancy but wouldn't mind it if we brought in a new DC.

What's your thoughts on Alan Branch? His play has been pretty impressive this season, more so than CC for the most part. May just be that he is potentially in a contract year though (depending on what happens the new CBA).

Comment

CC proves me wrong by having a great game against the Panthers. Our DL has the potential to be great with a rotation of Dockett/Williams/Campbell/Branch, we just need some more depth at CB and an impact puss rusher. Looks like Porter might miss the game this weekend so hopefully Schoefield can flash something.

Comment

Dline is looking so much better now than at the beginning of the year, of course it's been against 3 bad teams

Comment

Falling down the draft order a bit and I'm predicting a win in sf, so assuming we are pick around 10 with the top 2 corners and Quinn gone who do we go after? A few guys I have been thinking about are Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Janoris Jenkins, and Brandon Harris. All of the seem like reaches right now but I wouldnt be upset with any of them as our pick

Comment

with the team kinda going back towards the 4-3 at the end of the year(due to lack of depth at LB) does Bowers enter the discussion?

4-3 DL of Campbell, Williams, Dockett, & Bowers

Comment

5th pick it is, Cardinals just don't try vs SF for what ever reason

Comment

What are your wishlists for the 5th pick?

Comment

Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, AJ Green, Robert Quinn if those 4 are gone then I guess Bowers or Fairley

Comment

Why not a QB like Mallett or Newton?

Comment

Well Mallett is a Derek Anderson clone for one, I wouldn't even put him on my draft board, Newton would take at least 2 years to develop which is time Whis/Graves don't have, new coach would come in and want his QB so the pick would be a complete waste

and simply fact is that Skelton has all the tools necessary to be a NFL QB and just needs to learn reads and work on his footwork

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information