Here's what I think (draft thoughts)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's what I think (draft thoughts)

Since we all love to talk draft no matter what time of year it is, and how far away it is...

IF we're picking top 3 and Minnesota is picking ahead of us along with Oakland, assuming no trades...that leaves us with a shot at McFadden right? Well lets look at it like this...

1.) Minnesota - they can't go RB again, because that'd be stupid, they got AP and he's going to be a great back. So they'll go with a QB here, and I'd be guessing it's got a GREAT chance of being Brohm or Woodson.

2.) Oakland - Their offensive line is the worst in the world, and if they don't get that fixed it doesn't matter who they bring in to run the ball...not that they need a RB anyway with Jordan and Rhodes. So they look for a guy like Baker or Long...or who knows...maybe he wants to go with another California guy and pickup a WR who can return kicks and stuff for his team as well.

3.) Atlanta - Well...that leaves us with a HUGE variety of options...here I'd almost rather trade down with a team like Dallas for Cleveland and their own pick...OR we could stay pat and pickup yet ANOTHER Razorback and go with Darren McFadden who imo is the best RB prospect in a very long time...only AP rivals him in recent history. Giving us Norwood and McFadden in the backfield and then leaving us still with question marks at QB...BUT...Petrino's system is known for making QBs perform better...so...I'm thinking we could find a QB who could work for us later in the draft with a QB class as deep as this year's is.

I think we would be crazy to pass on Darren McFadden....I know about the Petrino and Brohm connection but McFadden is a one in a lifetime RB....I think alot of ppl who are turning in there season tickets would think twice about doing that if we get McFadden next year..ha ha

Comment

Looking forward to a top 3 pick? Bummer.

Comment

I'm not looking forward to it, nor do I think we'll have a top 3 pick...this is just what's being said around us right now. So I'll roll with it, I think Atlanta is going to surprise a LOT of teams this year with our defense causing massive headaches for those offenses that come strolling into town. Our rookies have stepped it up already and that's scary because normally rookies don't do to well this early. Jamaal hasn't done anything as far as sacking the QB goes, but his ability to hold the point of attack as well as read run v pass has been exceptional...something that would have made a HUGE difference to Mario Williams last year.

I could see our defense being top 5 and allowing 14 per game if they can stay healthy. It's going to take a Dilfer type effort from Harrington though...that's what I'm expecting. I'd say no less than 7-9 at this point, but realistically I could see us still getting 10 wins...

Comment

I would love to have Mcfadden and I'd take him over any of the QB. There is a chance we can get a good QB in round 2.

Comment

10 wins?! cmon.. ill be very happy with 6. screw my pride, the falcons can suck this year. we need a good draft pick.

Comment

the best possible scenario for me... (im having an each way bet here) is to go 9-7 and then to have Andre Woodson do what Brady Quinn did and get him around pick #20. That way the team has a successful season, the players inprove and we get a franchise QB. if we were able to do that at around pick #20 id be pumped.

Next i would look to where the big drop off for LT's is (probably around the spot where Joe Staley was taken last year) this year i think it could be 5-10 picks lower because the OT class is stronger. Anyway, id find this area, perhaps pick # 25-#30 trade back in to the 1st using next years 1st like the 49ers and take my OT. To say who yet is a risk because alot of the OT have their first season as LT this year so it will depend on how they go.

Now presuming we go 9-7 i would have no problem with losing the first in 09 because we would have very very few holes. This team is a franchise LT + franchise QB + some very likley progression from guys such as Stone, Williams and Houston (that almost certainly would come on the back of a 9-7 season) from being very very serious contenders for a sustained period of time
              Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff; 08-26-2007, 11:49 PM.
              Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

I would be really sad if we go 6-10...really...I'd also be surprised

Comment

of course i would love to see the scenario as d-rod explains but realistically our offense will be dismal and our defense isnt as experienced as many others. i really just want a slow year where norwood can ease into the starting role, blaylock transitions well against first team defenses, and houston learns nfl speed. also, j-williams imo is very susceptible to being the reason for big plays. from what i've seen he seems to go for the fancy tackle instead of an effective wrap tackle and plays for the pick in many cases. overall our team is young and this is a rebuilding season, lets not get our hopes up.

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                    I would be really sad if we go 6-10...really...I'd also be surprised

It's highly realistic. We just aren't a good team.

Comment

This team wasn't even that good with Vick, I mean they underachieved sure, but still it was around .500. Joey Harrington is no better as a passer and won't open up holes in the running game like Vick did. By default that makes the team in the 6-10 area. Whether the team finishes in the top-3 or stays at its 6-7 win area depends on how the defense performs, in my opinion.

My wish list goes like this:
                      • Brian Brohm
                      • Sam Baker
                      • Darren McFadden

Brohm, only because he could play from the get-go because he would know the offense and the terminology. Baker is the my next ideal pick because clearly the team needs an LT. McFadden is good, but I think QB and LT need to be the priorities and Running Backs are always available later in the draft.
                      Last edited by Shiver; 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I think you guys are selling our defense short...really...it's going to be NASTY

Comment

we'll see. i hope i eat my words later.

Comment

As do I. If we overachieve this year that means good things from this coaching staff.

Comment

I'm lovin this game right now

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information