No announcement yet.

The Brian Brohm Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only person who likes Sam Baker more than Jake Long? I'm not sold on Long's ability to play LT in the NFL and Big-10 Left Tackles scare me in general.

Comment

I don't think I've ever gone for Long...Baker has been my top T from the start...he was #2 for me last season if he had come out. Now with another year there's no way he's anything less than #1

Comment

Baker's a great pass protector, no doubt, but he has yet to convince that he can be a dominant run blocker.

Yes, Long may have the occasional lapse in pass protection, and that's an issue. But it's worth bearing in mind that a truly dominant run game can, by itself, help pass protection, since teams cannot just tee off on the edge.

If Baker has a season of blowing defenders off the ball, then great, I'd take him over Long. But until then, I'd rather think about the falcons running left side behind Long and Blalock ALL DAY LONG.

But as I've said, I'd rather grab Brohm, and Barry Richardson in the 2nd. He's not quite as dominant in the run game as Long, but arguably as good at pass protection if not better; and he's not as good in pass protection as Baker, but is better in the run game.
        TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
          I know some Falcons fans want to address the LT situation, but I'd advise against it. The crop of QB's for the 2009 NFL Draft looks awful. You guys would probably be looking at Hunter Cantwell (who knows Petrino's offense, but in my opinion is very overrated) or Nate Longshore unless some juniors declare. While it will be tough to miss out on two excellent LT prospects in Jake Long and Sam Baker, there will be some very good ones available next year. Ryan Clady of Boise State projects as a 1st Round pick this year, but many expect him to stay so he can be the #1 OT next year. Michael Oher has received a lot of hype, although I think he projects better as a RT or G in the pros. Another guy who I love, and could opt to come out next year, is Andre Smith of Alabama. Many people think he projects as a RT, but I think has what Petrino is looking for in a LT. Ciron Black (who could declare) and Alex Boone also look like possible 1st Rounders in 2009.
          I'm not gonna lie, I was a major proponent of going LT first. But i am starting to shift my stance, especially with the lack of success of QB's after round 2. The only reason i am/was so pro Left Tackle was because Joey Harrington IMHO is a better player than Wayne Gandy that was the only way i proritised it. As long as the Left Tackle we draft can start right away i wouldnt really care which order we got them but id much rather have a rookie qb, who isnt ready, sit behind joey for the first few weeks than have a rookie LT, who isnt ready, sit behind Gandy simply because Gandy is hopeless.

Originally posted by D-Rod View Post
          Baker's a great pass protector, no doubt, but he has yet to convince that he can be a dominant run blocker.

Yes, Long may have the occasional lapse in pass protection, and that's an issue. But it's worth bearing in mind that a truly dominant run game can, by itself, help pass protection, since teams cannot just tee off on the edge.

If Baker has a season of blowing defenders off the ball, then great, I'd take him over Long. But until then, I'd rather think about the falcons running left side behind Long and Blalock ALL DAY LONG.

But as I've said, I'd rather grab Brohm, and Barry Richardson in the 2nd. He's not quite as dominant in the run game as Long, but arguably as good at pass protection if not better; and he's not as good in pass protection as Baker, but is better in the run game.

I agree with everything everyone has said in this thread so far. Us NFLDC posters know exactly whats up!

Yeah Barker does need to improve his strength a little, i think if we drafted him he would be a little similar to DBrick, solid but getting a little overpowered at times.

I agree with Shiver also. Jake Long does remind me a little of Robert Gallery which is a tad scary, but still he has amazing potential with his strength and size and id pick him, at the moment over Barker.

Also, DRod I like how you compared Richardson to the other 2 guys. Can you now compare Gonsder Cherilus to Richardson, Long and Barker (sp?)

Im thinking
          1. Brohm
          2. a)Richardson
          2. b) Bryant
          3. RB
          now too,

Also another bit of info. Newberry OT Heath Benidict, provided my info isnt incorrect was born in the Netherlands in 1983. Thats pretty old for a rook. ( i only googled him so it might be wrong)
          Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

So I think I am slowly going to the Woodson bandwagon.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              Am I the only person who likes Sam Baker more than Jake Long? I'm not sold on Long's ability to play LT in the NFL and Big-10 Left Tackles scare me in general.
              yea tell me bout it..after robert gallery i would be scared to take many big ten left tackles in the 1st round. falcons should stick with brian brohm because hes the real deal and i believe he could be a star in the NFL if put under the right system.

Comment

I like Woodson, I like Brohm...but I want McFadden or Baker...if those guys go 1 and 2 and we're picking 3, fine pick Brohm or Woodson, but if we're picking #1 I want McFadden.

OR

A better option would be to trade out with Dallas for their top 5-10 pick from Cleveland and their 20+ pick leaving us with 2 first rounders to then pick up one of the QBs with our first pick. Leaving us a lot of options with our next 4 picks on the first day...I'd be so happy with that.
                Last edited by iloxygenil; 09-20-2007, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                  So I think I am slowly going to the Woodson bandwagon.
                  yea i also really like andre woodson. wow what a year for QBs..brohm, woodson and brennan. i would argue this is jus as good if not a better draft class for QBs than '06 when young, leinart and cutler were 1st rounders. lucky u falcon fans.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                    yea i also really like andre woodson. wow what a year for QBs..brohm, woodson and brennan. i would argue this is jus as good if not a better draft class for QBs than '06 when young, leinart and cutler were 1st rounders. lucky u falcon fans.
                    Wow you're giving this class a lot of props...no doubt. However I think Matt Ryan has a chance to be a great QB as well...Yeah we're lucky to be looking for a QB and I'm 100% sold that Petrino is the one who got Brohm to go back to Louisville. I said that when we got him as a coach and I'm more and more certain all the time.

I wonder if Petrino will also look to pickup his boy Mario if he comes out this year...

Comment

I'd rather have Harry Douglas than Mario Urrutia.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                        I'd rather have Harry Douglas than Mario Urrutia.
                        you will find many other players like harry douglas in the draft but very few like mario urrutia

Comment

I'd be surprised if douglas didn't get drafted a full round ahead of mario. you can have all the physical talent in the world, but anyone who watches the games will tell you that douglas is twice the natural receiver that mario is (even if he is half the size).
                          TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Oh I'm well aware that Doug is the better receiver and he's a guy I would like us to look at, BUT, a freak like Mario doesn't come around too often, he'd be a great mismatch guy for us. I mean I'm not saying he's Calvin by any stretch, but his size gives us good match ups. He didn't go for many Louisville guys in this years draft...UDFAs sure, but that makes sense. But will Mario and Brohm be too attractive for him to pass up? You can tell he's pissed off about the offense, he wants to fix it. So, why not go with guys like those 2? We have Robinson and Roddy...we need a mismatch guy...Jenkins COULD have been him, but he's decided he doesn't want to go up and make the plays for us. So, we need that guy. Looks like Roddy is going to go by traditional WR numbers and wait til year 3 to finally do something. He's been holding onto the ball and I've been very happy with his play. Robinson has little to no pressure on him because of his spot on the depth chart and his 3rd round draft status instead of first round status like Roddy and Jenkins. He's also a very natural player at the position and he catches the ball away from his body how you're supposed to.

Those 2 WRs give us great starters we need that big slot guy. But then also we can't forget about defense. It's great right now, BUT...we're getting old...we need a MLB badly, we need a NT badly. We can't let those 2 positions drop or the talent everywhere else on our defense is negated.

Comment

dude even if we got a guy who gives us match up advantages, we wouldnt use him properly (cough norwood cough)

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

You don't find many guys like Harry Douglas in the draft. That is a fast WR, who is not as small as advertised height wise (5'11/ 175) and runs sharp routes and catches almost anything thrown his way. Most small recievers stature wise don't go over the middle and often time drop passes or run sloppy routes. Harry doesn't do that. He is a pretty sharp receiver.
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information