LT in the first?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT in the first?

We have given up 13 sacks already. I think Saints gave up 16 in the WHOLE season.

We need to revamp this OL. Its going to take time for the players to get used to the new scheme, but our LT will still be a glaring hole.

What say you to taking Sam Baker or Jake Long in the first, and then trading back into the first and taking Matt Ryan. I am liking that scenario ALOT.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Remember that QB plays a large role in sack totals. For example the Texans have only given up two sacks thus far under Schaub, and Carr was getting killed routinely. Same thing with Romo and Bledsoe in Dallas. Now that doesn't mean I'm opposed to taking Sam Baker, I just wanted to clarify that issue.

Comment

Round 1: Sam Baker
      Round 2: Jonathan Stewart
      Round 2: Matt Ryan

Winner...

Comment

I highly doubt Stewart and Ryan are there in the 2nd round.

Comment

from how people act about Colt, just replace Colt and Ryan, and i can see that happin

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean Shiver. As bad as Harrington is, we have always had this problem, even with one of the most elusive QBs in NFL history. I think it requires fixing now.

I am not a big fan of Colt. Dont like him much. I might even be really pissed if we draft him. Maybe.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

colt cant be the face of our offense. i just dont see him succeeding in the bigs.

Comment

I think Atlanta should use their two first round picks to move up into the first for a QB. Atlanta should do what Cleveland did last year, take the franchise LT and then get the QB that falls farther than expected.

Comment

yeah i'm thinking that'll be the best case scenario for us. we take a long or baker and maybe in the 'teens or early twenties ryan will be waiting there for us.

i know its all speculation now, but what teams will be looking to draft a qb early?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                    I think Atlanta should use their two first round picks to move up into the first for a QB. Atlanta should do what Cleveland did last year, take the franchise LT and then get the QB that falls farther than expected.
                    I agree with that in theory, but in practice I think that if you NEED a QB, then you take the best one you can get your hands on. There's enough risk of a QB busting without adding to that by taking whoever other teams don't want...

I agree with trading up, though. Just not for a QB. I think we should take the best QB with our first pick, then potentially trade up for the LT we want. There's a clearly defined top 2 with the tackles, but both have arguable weaknesses - PB for Long, RB for Baker. Then there are 3 - 5 (depending on juniors) guys who could go mid 1st to high 2nd, depending on this season. We'd have more choice of the guy we want, and less risk of getting sloppy seconds, if we take a LT than a QB with that trade-up pick, IMO.
                    TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
                      yeah i'm thinking that'll be the best case scenario for us. we take a long or baker and maybe in the 'teens or early twenties ryan will be waiting there for us.

i know its all speculation now, but what teams will be looking to draft a qb early?
                      There aren't actually too many teams who you'd expect to be looking for a QB right now, but you can split them into five groups.

Teams with a star QB already, won't take a QB unless career ending injury:
                      Colts, Pats, Saints, Rams, Steelers, Bengals, Giants (Eli's there for a while, whatever), Cowboys (Romo will get locked up) - 8/32

Teams which have a future QB, so will not take one whatever happens:
                      Titans, Cardinals, 49ers, Raiders, Browns, Broncos, Chargers, Texans (ours!), Redskins, Packers - 10/32

Teams with veterans and 1st day QBs they are unlikely to bypass immediately:
                      Eagles, Jets, Vikings, Lions, Chiefs (should give Croyle one more year) - 5/32

Teams with current veteran, but might look to upgrade:
                      Bears, Panthers, Seahawks, Jaguars, Bills - 5/32

Teams likely to be looking for new QB:
                      Bucs, Ravens, Dolphins, FALCONS - 4/32

The last two groups are fairly fluctuating - but in short, there could be as many as 9 teams (maybe 10) who'd consider a QB in the 1st, and four teams who really need to be looking QB first up.

It's good news, because of those 10 teams only the Bucs and Dolphins are as bad as we are this year, and it could be argued that we are the worst of the lot. Therefore we should at least get our pick of the QBs, even if outside of the top 5.

Comment

Actually I think the Dolphins have their QB of the future. They took John Beck in round two and bypassed Brady Quinn because they had Beck higher on their board.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                          Actually I think the Dolphins have their QB of the future. They took John Beck in round two and bypassed Brady Quinn because they had Beck higher on their board.
                          Ah yes, forgot about him.

Well, let's hope we can win some games, since it looks like we could be out of the top-5 and still get our first choice QB...

That said, are there 5 teams looking worse than us at the moment? Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                            Yeah I know what you mean Shiver. As bad as Harrington is, we have always had this problem, even with one of the most elusive QBs in NFL history. I think it requires fixing now.

I am not a big fan of Colt. Dont like him much. I might even be really pissed if we draft him. Maybe.

To add into what Shiver said, again that is still on the QB. I'm not saying our line is great or anything, but it's very tough for a offensive lineman when your QB is moving around in the pocket. The defender can see where the quaterback is going, and make a move the lineman isn't expecting to get by him and to the QB. And of course the OL really has no idea where the QB is.

Comment

Harrington is really out of his comfort zone. He's holding on to the ball because he doesn't want to throw interceptions. As Ron Jaworski points out the QB needs to hit his third, fifth and seventh step and throw immediately upon reaching his proper depth. Harrington is not doing that. It doesn't help that the O-Line is still adjusting to the new protection schemes and you have two rookies on the left side.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information