Is Jamaal Anderson a bust ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Anthony Spencer is doing better than him as a part time player splitting time with Greg Ellis. ;)
    Anthony Spencer is also working with a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
      Anthony Spencer is also working with a lot more.
      Did I say part time??? Oh yeah, I did. Just checking. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        Did I say part time??? Oh yeah, I did. Just checking. ;)
        Spencer is also in a pass rushing role at OLB, with 3 damn good OL and Demarcus Ware on the other side as well as Carpenter, James and Ayodele inside.

Owner of ScarDraft
        Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

to be a bust 10 games in....ppl are way to anal. BE was being asked if he was a bust this year...3 years later, give the guy some time, i mean hes 22(?) with raw ability. Besides the interior is quite weak(I think)all they have to worry about is the DE's

Comment

I think it's fairly clear that he's not a bust.

He's already very solid at playing the run, which was the first thing the coaches asked of him. He's been less good in the passing game, but he's got the natural athleticism, he's very raw, and he will get better.
            TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

I'd say I'm worried. DE is not a huge adjustment from college to NFL. QB, yeah. OT, maybe. WR and RB for blocking purposes maybe.

But Chris Houston adjusted from a pure man scheme. Blalock went from primarily OT to OG. He hasn't showed the innate ability to get to the QB.
              Virginia Tech.
              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

you also have to realize the coaches have told him to focus on the run and haven't fully unleashedh im in the pass game yet

Owner of ScarDraft
                Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Uh...DE in College VS Pro is WAY different...WAY different...in college he was told get the QB...and he did...he also wasn't playing against people who are going to be in the NFL week in and week out. OTs are priority because there are SO many in college, but only a few that actually hold up at the NFL level. In the transition from college to NFL he's just going to have to learn how to set up OTs in plays and series prior then hitting them with an inside move.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                    I'd say I'm worried. DE is not a huge adjustment from college to NFL. QB, yeah. OT, maybe. WR and RB for blocking purposes maybe.

But Chris Houston adjusted from a pure man scheme. Blalock went from primarily OT to OG. He hasn't showed the innate ability to get to the QB.
                    Still, you can't expect every rookie to come in and be a Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson type of rookie. That's just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post

DE is a huge adjustment...okay every position has a huge adjustment (except for special teams players), but learning the position takes a while.

I have always thought that the NFL assistant coaches are elite coaches, especially now a days. Anderson is getting great coaching and he is in the right scheme. It will take time, just be patient.

Comment

Ty Warren of the Patriots didnt play that well as a rookie but is now playing at a pro bowl level so it may take Anderson some time.

Comment

Well, I can see one comparison with Warren. Anderson looks like he should be playing inside the tackles.
                          Virginia Tech.

Comment

I disagree. Anderson has applied some pressure.

Also, I've seen times when he has been doubled (which seems somewhat ridiculous when Abraham is on the other side). That's a sign of some respect from opposing OC's.

I think that it would be an error to expect too much out of Anderson til the latter stages of his soph year. I'm just repeating myself really, but it wasn't as if we thought that he was a finished product when he was drafted. Hopefully he'll fulfill his potential; but what he has done this year is insignificant as an indicator of future success.
                            TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

The double team is more by play assigment than anything. RB assignment to chip before running a route, roll out by the QB, etc.. No logical reason to double-team him at this point.
                              Virginia Tech.

Comment

When Anderson was coming out he was always considered a project. He has the tools to be a top-5 DE in the NFL. Admittedly he hasn't played well, but I think he needs another year to see how he progresses. Remember, it usually takes defensive ends couple years to hit their stride. Look at Mario Williams' first year (4.5 sacks) compared to now (9.5 sacks, 10th in the NFL).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information