Clear All

Too old. We need stability.
    Virginia Tech.
    ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Not only is Petrino gone, but according to Fox Sport's John Czarnecki:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7553524

One of my best NFL friends kept telling me that McKay and Petrino wouldn't last beyond this season. He was right.
      PFT quoted another league source:

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

The wild card in all of this is G.M. Rich McKay. Plenty of league insiders believe that McKay should be relieved of his duties in light of his chronic enabling of Blank's chronic enabling of Vick. If he is, Blank can make a run for someone like Bill Cowher, who would want full power over personnel -- and who would also want to bring his own G.M. to the team.

Or Blank could hire a new G.M., and allow him to hire his own head coach.

As one league source opined, "McKay is and has been a joke."
      So apparently McKay is a goner as well.

Comment

SINGLETARY EMERGES AS EARLY FAVORITE TO REPLACE PETRINO
        An industry source tells us that 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary is the guy whose name has initially popped up in discussions regarding the potential successor to former Falcons coach Bobby Petrino.
        Per the source, Blank wants Singletary; Petrino was hired at the behest of G.M. Rich McKay.
        There are multiple potential benefits that would flow from such a move. First, Singletary will be (in our view ) a great NFL head coach. Second, the thinking is that he'll straighten out a dysfunctional locker room. Third, the Falcons have the highest concentration of African-American season-ticket holders at 52 percent; in the wake of the Mike Vick fiasco the hiring of an African-American coach could go a long way toward reconnecting with an important segment of the Atlanta fan base.
        In our view, however, skin color shouldn't be a factor in any hiring decision. The best person should get the job. But it would be naive to think that Blank isn't thinking about the potential impact of hiring a coach who is of the same race as a majority of the season-ticket holders, especially as the franchise moves forward without a player who is still beloved by many Falcons fans, whether white, black, purple, green, yellow, or red.
        Stay tuned.
        http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I think the fact that "Petrino was hired at the behest of G.M. Rich McKay" is another interesting angle. Right now Rich McKay has been involved in hiring two dud head coaches, he also gave Vick a massive contract. Those among other mistakes could spell the end for Petrino.

Comment

Your everywhere today shiver.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

I had to go away from my "fun" (video games and football) to take care of important things, and just being busy overall. I decided to take these past two days off, that and I have been literally iced in where I live.

Comment

Your like Gandalf the Grey. Very wise, but always off doing tasks that no one knows about. Next time you leave, you have to leave us with a "Look for me when the sun rises on the 5th day" or some badass quote.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Thank you for the sig quote.

Comment

If we could bring in Singletary, but keep our current co-ordinators, I'd be happy. On the upside, at least Petrino won't be running Hall out of town.

What an arse.
                  TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

By the way, there is the possibility that Zimmer might be an option... I wouldn't be adverse to that.
                    TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

I don't think Cowher or Schottenheimer would fit with what Arthur Blank or Rich McKay are working towards..

You would have to gut your defense (Keep .. Boley, Anderson and Abraham + Secondary)

And get a power rusher and power OL's and a solid QB.

Both want complete Control over the decision making, draft and play calling.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

I know Jason Garrett is probably going to be considered the leading candidate for more then a handful of jobs in the offseason, but he's not leaving Dallas especially not after 1 year...doubt he would be the best choice anyway as he hasnt had much experience and I think the coach needs to have experience to get the players to trust in them...

Cowher would be awesome, but wouldnt he rather wait out for a Carolina opening?? If anything he is one year away from that job which is alot closer and in rebuilding mode, doubt Fox stays after next year

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

The interim head coach will be HOF DB Emmitt Thomas in case it wasn't already posted. Like the idea of Singletary, looks like the kind of guy that could put a fire into this team.

Comment

The Falcons need a leader of men. That's why I would want a Bill Cowher, Mike Singletary, Russ Grimm, etc.; rather than a young coordinator who no one really knows if he can translate Xs and Os knowledge unto the field.

Comment

Im all for Mike Singletary if we can keep our current OC and DC.....I think he is just what the doctor order for this team. I would love to have Bill Cowher also but I think its a slim chance that he would want to coach here.

Comment

If not Mike Singletary, then Russ Grimm is my second choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information