No announcement yet.

The new HC and possibly new GM thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it a shame? This kind of thing happens all of the time. I liked Jackson and Zimmer, but they are quite frankly replaceable. Whatever new coach will bring in his guys so there will be continuity on the staff.

Comment

I felt the offensive system had a real chance for success.
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

How much did Hue Jackson really contribute to that anyway? It was Bobby Petrino's terminology, play-calling, and design. And it wasn't as if the offense was very good this season either...
        Last edited by Shiver; 01-04-2008, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I think Hue Jackson really helped out our WRs. I hope the development of the WRs goes smoothly still.

You know what I really like about this situation as a whole? Arthur Blank. Coach leaves before the season is over...Blank gets on it and goes on a mass interviewing spree. I love that.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Actually...Jackson was exceptionally impressive to me. His play calling was sick considering he had less than a week to put a playbook together.

Comment

Uhh, what? He did not put a playbook together. He might have called a different flow of plays and maybe added one or two, but almost everything that happened on offense was still on Bobby Petrino.

Petrino might have been an asshole but I like the spread offense + power running game.
              Virginia Tech.

Comment

coincidence or not but i attribute white's breakout year to hue jackson. maybe it was horn mentoring him but after the criticism last year and the bad performances, i think it was coaching that got him to get his 1000+ yard season. i really would regret jackson leaving since it seemed robinson was gonna be a great player too.

Comment

For GM I want Reggie McKenzie

For HC I want Singletary or Rex Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                    Uhh, what? He did not put a playbook together. He might have called a different flow of plays and maybe added one or two, but almost everything that happened on offense was still on Bobby Petrino.

Petrino might have been an asshole but I like the spread offense + power running game.
                    Nothing wrong with that offense, but when Petrino bolted he went playbook in hand. Give me a break he didn't put it together. It was obvious they had no plays against Tampa they didn't have time to put anything together. Give him a week and he put up a good number of points then 2 weeks and he had our best offensive game of the season...Come on now. Petrino was calling plays that had never been PRACTICED! Uh oh...

Petrino was used to having guys who had been in his system for 4 years, not a few months...so he was way over his head. But that was Jackson putting plays together, and I'm sure he had to do a VAST majority of drawing up plays after Petrino was gone, sure some of them stuck, but we didn't run 20 plays a game, we went deep into the playbook. I applaud Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                      Nothing wrong with that offense, but when Petrino bolted he went playbook in hand. Give me a break he didn't put it together. It was obvious they had no plays against Tampa they didn't have time to put anything together. Give him a week and he put up a good number of points then 2 weeks and he had our best offensive game of the season...Come on now. Petrino was calling plays that had never been PRACTICED! Uh oh...

Petrino was used to having guys who had been in his system for 4 years, not a few months...so he was way over his head. But that was Jackson putting plays together, and I'm sure he had to do a VAST majority of drawing up plays after Petrino was gone, sure some of them stuck, but we didn't run 20 plays a game, we went deep into the playbook. I applaud Jackson.
                      We used Petrino's playbook. He did not take every playbook. It would have taken way too much time to implement a whole new offense.
                      Virginia Tech.

Comment

ATLANTA -- Rich McKay signed a two-year contract extension Friday to remain the Atlanta Falcons' president but will relinquish the general manager's duties.

Team spokesman Reggie Roberts confirmed that McKay and owner Arthur Blank agreed to terms earlier in the day.

Since he left Tampa Bay and joined Blank in December 2003, McKay has held dual titles as president-GM. Atlanta had a productive offseason in 2004, but the team has made several poor personnel decisions during the last three years.

McKay also recommended coach Bobby Petrino as a replacement for Jim Mora last January. Petrino stayed just 13 games before suddenly resigning and leaving for Arkansas. The Falcons went 4-12 this season, which was dominated by Michael Vick's federal dogfighting crimes and Petrino's departure.

Blank has enlisted McKay to help interview candidates for the vacant head coach and general manager jobs.

Two GM candidates, Packers personnel chiefs Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider, met with Blank and McKay earlier this week. Eagles GM Tom Heckert is supposed to interview this weekend. Two coaching candidates, Cowboys assistants Jason Garrett and Tony Sparano, met with Blank and McKay on Friday in Dallas. The Falcons also have interviewed Indianapolis assistant Jim Caldwell.

Atlanta has missed the playoffs in each of the last three seasons, going a combined 19-29 since advancing to the NFC title game three years ago.

Before entering his final full season with Tampa Bay in 2002, McKay signed a six-year contract extension worth $2.4 million per season. The Buccaneers went on to win the Super Bowl, but McKay's testy relationship with coach Jon Gruden led to his departure in Week 14 of 2003.

McKay's original deal with Atlanta covered six years and was worth as much as $17 million.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
                        Virginia Tech.

Comment

So whats the deal with Mike Singletary? Is he going to get interviewed?

Comment

yes, but right now we are dealing with coaches on playoff teams on bye weeks.
                            Virginia Tech.

Comment

WIP's Howard Eskin reports Eagles GM Tom Heckert will likely take the general manager position in Atlanta is he's offered it.

Eskin says he's "98 percent" certain Heckert will replace Rich McKay as the Falcons' GM. Heckert is interviewing for the gig on Monday. It wouldn't be considered a lateral move because he's likely to have final say in Atlanta.
                              That would be a great addition I believe. The Eagles have been one of the best teams this decade for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by scar988 View Post
                                Polian got blocked.
                                Actually, he removed himself from consideration.
                                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information