No announcement yet.

The new HC and possibly new GM thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy to see that we're going for a guy who can solidify our front office a little bit, and I want to have our GM in place before we have our coach. The simul search doesn't bother me at all. I want our owner to know what his options are, and who he'd like to present to our GM. I think that's why we'll wait and let our GM have a say to see what kinda staff he wants around him.

Comment

If the Eagles' drafts are any indication, I think the odds of McFadden go down exponentially with Heckert, while the odds of taking Jake Long increase.

Comment

Sweet. As sexy the as the McFadden pick is, and as awesome as it would be to use him in Madden...Long is the better pick.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
          I'm happy to see that we're going for a guy who can solidify our front office a little bit, and I want to have our GM in place before we have our coach. The simul search doesn't bother me at all. I want our owner to know what his options are, and who he'd like to present to our GM. I think that's why we'll wait and let our GM have a say to see what kinda staff he wants around him.
          I agree. (ten character minimum)
          Virginia Tech.
          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            If the Eagles' drafts are any indication, I think the odds of McFadden go down exponentially with Heckert, while the odds of taking Jake Long increase.
            That would be good, but you never know. Reid had final say in Philadelphia drafts.
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post

I like Long. I'd still prefer McFadden though.

Comment

TLANTA -- Even as the Atlanta Falcons continued their parallel searches for a new general manager and head coach, there were indications that, at least on one of those tracks, owner Arthur Blank could be narrowing his focus. Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert is scheduled to interview Monday with team officials and there is a strong sense in league circles that the veteran talent scout will go into the session as the front-runner for the job. Heckert, 40, has been highly recommended by Eagles' owner Jeff Lurie and he will be the third known candidate to meet with Blank and team president Rich McKay about the position. While the potential move for Heckert looks like a lateral one on the surface, it clearly represents upward mobility, since he would oversee the Falcons' football operation if he lands the job. Heckert has the general manager title in Philadelphia, but it is head coach Andy Reid who holds so-called "final say authority" on personnel matters. In seven seasons with the Eagles' organization, Heckert has engineered very productive drafts, and has built an impressive track record as a talent evaluator. Philadelphia promoted him to general manager in 2006, when the Minnesota Vikings pursued him for the same position. Before joining the Eagles in 2001, Heckert worked in the Miami Dolphins' personnel department for 10 years. His father was also a longtime Dolphins personnel official. In advance of the meeting with Heckert, the Falcons postponed at least one scheduled interview that was to have taken place over the weekend with a candidate from an AFC franchise, ESPN.com has learned. The Falcons recently sought and were granted permission to meet with New York Giants vice president of player evaluation Chris Mara. It is not known, however, if Mara has agreed to be interviewed. Blank and McKay last Wednesday interviewed a pair of Green Bay scouting officials, director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie and personnel analyst John Schneider, for the general manager position. The two were set to meet with Indianapolis vice president of football operations Chris Polian last Thursday about the GM job, but he opted to remove himself from consideration. On the coaching front, Falcons officials have interviewed three candidates: Dallas assistant head coach Tony Sparano, Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, and Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell. Former Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who is also a candidate for the NFL's other two existing vacancies, with the Ravens and Miami Dolphins, is to meet with the Falcons this week. League sources said that the Falcons were pleased with all of the candidates for the head coach spot but that Caldwell is believed to have been particularly impressive. Atlanta is expected to interview several more head coach candidates and one of them could be Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. The Titans' loss at San Diego in a Sunday wild card game ends their season and means that Schwartz is now available for such a meeting.
                http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

I was a big fan of Jim Caldwell last year, but unfortunately they didn't hire him. Peyton Manning has given rave reviews about Caldwell's impact on their team.

Comment

(Paragraph breaks, please?)

Thoughts if it's true Blank wants to hire a GM ... who won't clean house? I don't understand that at all, if it's true. I am not a fan of Blank at all, as my posts have no doubt indicated, I think his meddlesome hands in the decision-making have increasingly poisoned this franchise.

Keeping McKay as Team President? Using nine guys and IQ tests in a head coach search? Interviewing coaches before hiring the GM? This guy is an idiot imo. McKay took the hit for Petrino, but Blank is the problem in Atlanta I have thought and still think.

Hopefully it works out for you guys, Falcons fans.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                    (Paragraph breaks, please?)

Thoughts if it's true Blank wants to hire a GM ... who won't clean house? I don't understand that at all, if it's true. I am not a fan of Blank at all, as my posts have no doubt indicated, I think his meddlesome hands in the decision-making have increasingly poisoned this franchise.

Keeping McKay as Team President? Using nine guys and IQ tests in a head coach search? Interviewing coaches before hiring the GM? This guy is an idiot imo. McKay took the hit for Petrino, but Blank is the problem in Atlanta I have thought and still think.

Hopefully it works out for you guys, Falcons fans.
                    The search is not that absurd. Even assuming that all the rumours are true:

1. Obviously he has to interview coaches before hiring the GM. As I'm sure you know, league rules prevent coaches from interviewing while their team is in the playoffs. Accordingly, the only opportunity to have a first interview with Sparano, Garrett, Caldwell etc was last week. I am sure that a GM will be hired before the HC, and that the HC will not be hired without the GM's approval. Those who interviewed before the GM arrives may well be re-interviewed. That's fairly normal practice in any senior employment.

If Blank actually hires an HC before a GM, then you can call him an idiot. But I strongly doubt that will happen.

2. Using 9 guys in a head coach search is not idiotic. It might be somewhat over the top, but I've regularly been interviewed by panels of 5, 6 or 7 people, and those jobs were not as senior as an NFL HC. There won't be 9 decision-makers, but there will be 9 different reactions for the decision-makers to gauge. It's standard procedure in most senior employment interviews. Might it ruffle a few feathers? Perhaps, but I don't think you can call it idiotic.

3. IQ tests? Well, again, that's fairly standard, though I don't think they have much to do with football. It may well be that the hack journalist actually means psychometric testing generally, which is far more reasonable. Again, it might ruffle a few feathers, but you never know, it might have raised a few flags for some of Blank and McKay's worse decisions: Vick, Mora and Petrino.

4. As for a new GM not being allowed to clean house, that's just absurd. But I'd be interested to see any reliable indication that Blank has made that a requirement for his new GM.
                    TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

On that point, I'd expect a new GM to be in place by the end of the week. I'm hoping for Heckert. I'd be surprised if Blank rejected his impressive record and, most importantly, greater experience as GM than any other candidate.

Comment

I am incredibly disappointed that the Eagles haven't promoted Heckert to running the full football operations in an effort to keep him in the fold. He has done a superior job finding talent and evaluating players. Sure, there have been some misses, but there is a ton of young talent out there. Much of that credit belongs to Heckert. If the Falcons make this hire, it will be an inspired choice. It will suck for me, but I'm happy for TH.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I'd support a Caldwell and Heckert combo.

Comment

For some reason, I don't see Heckert necessarily going to get Caldwell. The GM will pick the coach, probably with some imput from the owner. Heckert has old school Dolphins ties (Jimmy Johnson tree) and Andy Reid ties. You could be looking at a retread from that camp or one of Andy Reid's guys. Maybe a young coordinator like Steve Spagnuolo (just an example). He could also reach out and go get a Steve Mariucci.

Don't forget that Atlanta is still built as a WCO team, just without a solid QB situation. They could reinstall a WCO under the right guy.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Damn Gibbs. That puts us one further down the pecking list for a new HC.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. The Redskins are a mess in terms of cap room and such. A HC has to go into that situation knowing that the owner controls the personnel and the GM has no knowledge of anything. It is not a favorable situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information