No announcement yet.

The new HC and possibly new GM thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new HC and possibly new GM thread.

There are alot of topics on different possible HCs. Hopefully this can make it a more centered discussion.

I just wanted to add in new names here, as oppose to the repetition of Marty and Singletary.

With Billick fired, Rex Ryan will most likely be looking for a job. He could take over the HC job for the Ravens but who knows as of yet. I think he can be another solid option for this HC job.

Also, Kiffin is looking to change coaching staffs, and might bring in the Tampa 2. With that, Rob Ryan could also be looking for a job. He is not ready for a head coaching job, but if somehow Zimmer leaves, Rob would be a great pick as a DC who could be groomed for the HC position.

So far, it seems as if Mike Singletary is the front runner for our HC job, and hasnt come out and blatantly said no yet. He can definitely rally our players and would work great with Boley.

And apparently we have asked for an interview with Jason Garrett and Tony Sparano. Can anyone give me a lowdown on Tony Sparano?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Wolf disinterested in Falcons
    Former Packers GM says 'bury' the thought

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 01/01/08

Former Packers general manager Ron Wolf told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday that he is not interested in coming out of retirement to run the Atlanta Falcons.

"I have not been contacted by them and I have no interest," said Wolf, who built the Packers Super Bowl teams in the 1990s after getting the Falcons to trade Brett Favre to Green Bay. "Let's bury that one right now."

Wolf, 69, has been retired since 2001, has informally consulted with Bill Parcells, a longtime friend. Parcells recently snubbed the Falcons to become the executive vice president for Miami.

Also, the Falcons have received permission to interview Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrent, according to the Dallas Morning News. The newspaper cited unnamed sources. The Falcons are set to interview Tony Sparano, the Cowboys assistant head coach, on Wednesday.

Comment

I like Rex Ryan and Mike Singletary the most right now. Singletary is a leader and both of them would allow us to resign most of our talent (which is on defense). Also, we have versatile players on defense for either of them.

John Abraham- DE, OLB
      Jonathan Babineaux- DE, NT, UT
      Michael Boley- WLB, SLB, MLB?
      Stephen Nicholas- WLB, MLB, SLB? (he played all 3 out of college)
      Keith Brooking- WLB, MLB
      Jamaal Anderson- 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, pass situations UT
      Lawyer Milloy- SS, rover
      Chris Crocker- FS, SS, CB
      Jimmy Williams- FS, CB
      Chauncey Davis- DE, LB (college before DE)
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons will interview a pair of Green Bay Packers scouting officials, director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie and personnel analyst John Schneider, for the position of general manager.

Interviews with both Green Bay officials are expected to be conducted this week.

The Falcons are seeking a general manager and a new head coach and it is highly unlikely that one man will fill both positions. Head coach Bobby Petrino resigned with three games remaining in his first season to accept the job at the University of Arkansas. Shortly thereafter, owner Arthur Blank announced that current president/general manager Rich McKay would lose his oversight of the personnel department.

It is expected, at least for now, that McKay will remain as the team president, and Blank has offered him a contract extension to do so.

A 10th-round pick of the Raiders in the 1985 draft, McKenzie, 44, played seven years in the NFL as a linebacker, with stints at Oakland (1985-88), Arizona (1989-90) and San Francisco (1992). The former University of Tennessee star was forced into retirement by a knee injury. He joined the Green Bay personnel department as a pro scout in 1994 and is in his 10th season as director of pro personnel.

McKenzie has been a candidate for general manager positions in the past, most recently with the Tennessee Titans.

Schneider, 36, is in his second tenure with the Green Bay scouting department. He originally joined the Packers as an intern under then-general manager Ron Wolf in 1992 and subsequently served four seasons (1993-96) as a personnel assistant. After jobs in Kansas City (1997-99), Seattle (2000) and Washington (2001), Schneider rejoined the Packers' organization in 2002 and has served the last six seasons as a personnel analyst.

There are likely to be several other candidates for the general manager position in Atlanta, but they have not yet been identified.

As first reported by ESPN.com on Monday afternoon, Falcons officials will travel to Dallas on Friday to interview Cowboys' assistant head coach Tony Sparano for the Atlanta head coach position. The Falcons have also received permission to meet with Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, but as of Tuesday, he had not yet agreed to be interviewed for the job.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
        Virginia Tech.

Comment

If we get Rex Ryan I bet you he will bring him Rob Ryan or whatever his name is that got fired recently.

Comment

I like McKenzie as GM.

Comment

I really like the idea of grabbing one of the Cowboys' assistants. Let's hope that they don't make it to the Super Bowl.

I would also really like Rex Ryan, but only if he brought along someone who really knew offense well with him. I think he would make this young defense special.

Comment

One of the benefits of getting Rex Ryan would be that he would probably bring some of Baltimore's excellent defensive position coaches with him.

Whichever HC we get - and I'd be fine with Garrett, Sparano, Ryan or Singletary - I'd love to keep both our co-ordinators. That's unlikely, given that most HC's would want to bring in "their guy", but I think that both Zimmer and Jackson deserve to stick around.

I think that Jackson would be able to devise and run an offensive scheme if we get a defensive coach, and I know that Zimmer would be able to do the same on the defensive side if we get an offensive coach.
                Last edited by D-Rod; 01-02-2008, 02:52 PM.
                TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                  I really like the idea of grabbing one of the Cowboys' assistants. Let's hope that they don't make it to the Super Bowl.

I would also really like Rex Ryan, but only if he brought along someone who really knew offense well with him. I think he would make this young defense special.

Honestly, I don't know what qualifies Garrett more then McDaniels.

Comment

I'd like to talk to Brian Billick...I think Familiarity got the best of him there in Baltimore...bring him in down here...atleast for an interview

Comment

I don't want Billick. The 'offensive genius' never did much in Baltimore offensively except 2003 in which he just ran Jamal Lewis and he was not responsible for the defense by all indications. The defense's success was on talent and Rex Ryan.

He also doesn't show much emotion or confidence.
                      Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                        Honestly, I don't know what qualifies Garrett more then McDaniels.
                        Well, he is older (41), but I agree. I want a defensive minded coach who makes a mark on the current players.
                        Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Rod View Post
                          One of the benefits of getting Rex Ryan would be that he would probably bring some of Baltimore's excellent defensive position coaches with him.

Whichever HC we get - and I'd be fine with Garrett, Sparano, Ryan or Singletary - I'd love to keep both our co-ordinators. That's unlikely, given that most HC's would want to bring in "their guy", but I think that both Zimmer and Jackson deserve to stick around.

I think that Jackson would be able to devise and run an offensive scheme if we get a defensive coach, and I know that Zimmer would be able to do the same on the defensive side if we get an offensive coach.
                          I think getting a defensive coach and keeping Jackson is the best policy. Our playmakers performed in the offense while I think our defense can perform in almost any scheme and it can be molded to have a ton of production.
                          Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                            Well, he is older (41), but I agree. I want a defensive minded coach who makes a mark on the current players.

He's older, but McDaniels has more expierence. With McDaniels being so young... he's a coach you can keep around for a long long time.

Comment

on the bright side if we do bring in a Dallas guy they will likely keep Zimmer.

Owner of ScarDraft
                              Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information