Honestly how far away are the Falcons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly how far away are the Falcons

from being a competitive team? I submit that we aren't as far as it may seem.

I posted in the other post that our offensive line could be very good with really only 2 changes and no money spent in FA (although I wouldn't mind bringing a guy in) Losing out on McFadden may end up being the best thing for this franchise, having someone trade up above us, or trading up with us to get him. As long as we can get a guy like Ryan Clady or Jake Long I'll be happy. Imagine the line being solidified by one of those 2 guys plus our current depth.

Weiner --- Blalock --- Datish --- Clabo --- Long / Clady

Then eventually becoming

Long / Clady --- Blalock --- Datish --- Clabo/upgrade --- Rookie (ex. Chris Williams / Phil Loadholt / Sam Baker) Someone has to fall to the 2nd round don't they?

So if our draft went like this...

1.) Jake Long
    2a.) Top RB (Reshard Mendenhall / Jonathan Stewart / Jamaal (whatever his name is from Texas)
    2b.) Chris Williams / Barry Richardson / Phil Loadholt
    3.) Marcus Griffin - S - Texas
    4.) Vince Hall - MLB - Virginia Tech
    5.) Kellen Davis - TE - Michigan State

I think we'd be looking pretty good at that...honestly...

But honestly then how far away are we from becoming a good team. I know that list doesn't include a QB...but I'd like to get our foundation put together and there's no telling what may happen in FA...if at the top of round 2 there is a guy there like Woodson or Brohm for some reason, then maybe take a QB this year.

we need a kicker. if we are gonna be the competitive team we all want, there are gonna be some close games that will need long FGs. i loved nick folk for the cowboys. great value in teh 6th.

Comment

If they get the right HC and the right kind of QB I think two years, if not then it will be a while. This off-season will determine the future of this team.

Comment

the team is far away because they have to go backwards before they go forward... for example D-hall creating problems..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

This offseason is about as big as it comes. New GM, new HC, new QB, new LT. If we get it all right, we could be back contending in 2009.

If we get McKenzie or Heckert for GM
          A good, disciplined HC
          And luck out in the draft, picking up Long in the 1st and Woodson in the 2nd
          Then, I could see us being pretty good in 2009, and even better in 2010.
          TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Originally posted by Average OT LB View Post
            the team is far away because they have to go backwards before they go forward... for example D-hall creating problems..
            Unless you're in the locker room you are caught up in the media hype that Hall is causing problems. The fact of the matter is the players love him and he's a firey competitor. He's not going anywhere and he's not causing problems.

Comment

The Falcons fate starts and ends with a QB. It isnt necessarily a position they need to address in the first but theres no question by the second round Falcons fans should already know their QB of the future. I wouldnt rely on FA or another short-term option because that wont put this situation to bed and the same questions will creep up again next offseason.

Comment

This offseason is huge. We need to get the right coach in here, and we need to do things like be active in Free Agency.

Comment

I can not see Mendenhall or Stewart being available at the top of the second round and Jamaal Charles is another speed back. We do not need another speed back.
                  Virginia Tech.
                  ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

so if james davis is there with our 2b pick, do we grab him or who else would we possibly take? assuming we already nabbed our QB and tackle.

Comment

I would ay Tashard Choice, Mike Hart, Ray Rice, and James Davis are the best fits for our second round pick.
                      Virginia Tech.

Comment

There are too many running backs for guys like Choice Hart and Rice to go in round 2...Davis as well...I'm thinking all of those are 3rd - 4th - 5th round guys.

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                          There are too many running backs for guys like Choice Hart and Rice to go in round 2...Davis as well...I'm thinking all of those are 3rd - 4th - 5th round guys.
                          I'd disagree.

I have no idea how James Davis is not that kind of prospect. He is 5'11 210 with you can't catch him speed. His build is not near filled out and will be a easy 220 by the time he is developed. He also has 3,000 rushing yards splitting carries along with 38 touchdowns.

Ray Rice suffers from being short. He will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He pass protects with the best of them, catches passes, breaks tackles, and can carry a load. He is 210 at 5'9. As far as scouting the difference between 5'9 and 5'10 seems to be bigger than any other inch. If he was 5'10 215 he would have 'good size', and the scouts know that. His speed or lack there of is overanalyzed. He has big play capability and he will be able to get to the outside at the next level. Maybe not for 50 yards but he can be a consistent inside and outside runner.

I would say many of the same things about Mike Hart, except his speed isn't quite where Rice's is. I doubt he can get outside at the next level, but he, like Rice, pass protects and is a very tough runner. He also doesn't fumble and has all of the intangibles.

Tashard Choice I like a lot. A bit tall but he runs lower than players his height. Probably needs to add some bulk but he doesn't look light or run light. Tough inside runner who has amazing inside vision and has the best pass blocking and pass catching combined ability. Also very productive.

Assuming they all come out (James Davis says he is not)...

Player---------Round
                          James Davis---1-2
                          Ray Rice-------2
                          Mike Hart------2-3
                          Tashard Choice-2-3

If I was forced to pick an exact round I would go 2, 2, 3, 2.

I would say 5 backs go above them (except Davis); being McFadden, Mendenhall, Stewart, Johnson, Charles. Very deep class for runningbacks and that's fine because a ton of teams could use runningbacks, starters or backups who offer something different.

We would have to trade up for any of the big 3, and Charles and Johnson do not fit what we need.
                          Last edited by BamaFalcon59; 01-04-2008, 06:48 PM.
                          Virginia Tech.

Comment

my rb list:

1) stewart
                            2) mendenhall
                            3) davis
                            4) choice
                            5) hart

one of those will be there in teh third and we better nab one of them.

Comment

Kerry Collings and J.P. Losman are two interesting QB's that I would consider next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information