Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Long

This is my opinion.

Is Long an absolutely perfect pass-protector? No.

However, he is still easily capable of being a franchise Left Tackle.

Firstly, what is the difference between Long and the perfect pass-protector? Three sacks a season? Maybe four? Long might get beaten once a game by the elite speed rushers, like Freeney, or the NFL player that Gholston (a potential top-5 pick) will become. But that's it. And even the best, like Orlando Pace, will get beaten every once in a while.

But if Jake Long is not the most dominant pass-protector, he is certainly the most dominant run-blocker that college football has seen for a while. His combination of strength, technique, experience and sheer nastiness is unmatched - and will be nigh-on unmatched in the NFL as well. Compared to Joe Thomas, a great rookie success, Long might not be quite the pass-protector, but I'd maintain that he is and will be the more dominant run-blocker. By some margin.

In my opinion, that more than outweighs any minor limitations in the pass-protection.

The best form of pass-protection is a dominant run game. Firstly, the afore-mentioned speed-rushers will be worn down by the relentless run. Secondly, they will not be able to tee-off on the pass rush, because they'll have to think run first, pass second. Thirdly, the dangerous third-and-long plays will be reduced with a dominant run game.

If we get Long, he and Blalock will form a powerful run blocking left side for a decade to come. Hey, even a 40-year-old Dunn could run behind the two of them (yes, I'm expecting Blalock to be all the better for his tough rookie season).

For the sake of three extra sacks a season (compared to Pace, Jones or Ogden, for heaven's sake!), I'll take a dominant run game with both hands.

That's why we need Jake Long. Fingers crossed.
    TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Exactly. That is a perfect summation of my thoughts all along.

Jerious Norwood would easily be a franchise back with a top 5 offensive line and Chris Redman would have the potential be a very Matt Hasselbeck esk QB for 2-3 years. AGAIN OT's are the big need here, it will be ugly but IT WILL turn this franchise around

BTW been on holkidays for a week, so wasnt able to catch up with the falcons news. I see we are in some complicated coin flip situation now. I also see that alot more people are favouring/tolerating my notion of 2 OT's in the first couple of rounds... i knew you all were were a smart bunch!
    Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff; 01-03-2008, 06:02 AM.
    Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

yeah teh offensive line has to be addressed. ill have no regrets if we get two tackles with our first three picks.

Comment

Pretty much my reasoning for having him number 1 on our board.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
          Exactly. That is a perfect summation of my thoughts all along.

Jerious Norwood would easily be a franchise back with a top 5 offensive line and Chris Redman would have the potential be a very Matt Hasselbeck esk QB for 2-3 years. AGAIN OT's are the big need here, it will be ugly but IT WILL turn this franchise around

BTW been on holkidays for a week, so wasnt able to catch up with the falcons news. I see we are in some complicated coin flip situation now. I also see that alot more people are favouring/tolerating my notion of 2 OT's in the first couple of rounds... i knew you all were were a smart bunch!
          Jerious Norwood is nowhere near a franchise back. He is injury prone.
          Virginia Tech.
          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Getting beat once a game is too much for a tackle to take that high. A franchise left tackle does not give up 3-4 sacks in a season, let alone 3-4 sacks more than a franchise tackle. A franchise left tackle is needed for run blocking but protecting the quarterback's blind side is first and formost. I believe even Chris Redman can be good behind a good offensive line. Reading about Jonathan Odgen and Orlando Pace it is unbelievable. If Michael Oher comes out I think he is the top offensive tackle prospect.

Not to say I don't like Jake Long, but giving up 6 sacks a season (which is 4 more than one of the best) would be a disappointment in my opinion. I have higher expectations.
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information