No announcement yet.

DeAngelo Hall Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

However, I only want to keep him if we can re-sign him to a long-term contract. Otherwise it is delaying the inevitable.
    Virginia Tech.
    ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
      I want to hear an apoligetic statement by DeAngelo Hall. That is the only way hostilities will be over, and no drama will occur.
      When was the last time you heard Hall apologise? Even after the Smith incident he tried to maintain that he was the victim...
      TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Eh, he somewhat apoligised after the game, saying his head got hot and he was just emotional.

But I see what you're saying.
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Hall

We will be 3-13 without him and 4-12 with him.

I say get something in return for him for the future.
          Last edited by Self Rider; 02-25-2008, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I'd rather have him than not have him, he's a special talent.

Comment

That's great if it were that simple.

We will have to pay him a lot of money for the next 3 years knowing we aren't going to win anything in that time.

Comment

That's fine...we're going to have to pay anyone a lot of money...and we could win not this year as easily, but next

Comment

Originally posted by Self Rider View Post
                  That's great if it were that simple.

We will have to pay him a lot of money for the next 3 years knowing we aren't going to win anything in that time.

Why pay anyone at all then? You have to pony up no matter what if you want to put a half way comptetive team on the field.

Comment

The point is that the money paid to Hall is money not paid to other parts of the team. Occasionally a team has to ask itself whether it'd rather have three B+ players or one A+ player and two C players. One A+ player who has serious character flaws, even if not criminal ones.

There are three major variables, none of which we actually know, though we can make an educated guess:

1. How much we would have to pay Hall to make him stay
                    2. How much we can get for Hall in a trade
                    3. Whether he can even be persuaded to stay

I don't know how those three variables fit together, so I'm not going to get in a tizzy about whether our front office decide that we have to trade him. They're not trying to ruin the team, and they have plenty of information that we don't.

Those who want to support other teams are free to do so.

Comment

The bigger question may be: if he leaves, how do we replace him?

Obviously Asante Samuel is the obvious answer, but: a) at least 10 other teams will be throwing money at him, and b) I don't actually think he's worth that much money. He's good, but not great, and might not be the same player outside of Belicheat's system.

There are no other number 1 corners in FA, so we'd effectively we moving Houston to #1 (he may struggle somewhat, but I think we can write off this year, and look to the future, in which I think Houston can be a very good #1).

Then it's a question of who is #2. In free agency, the next best options are Randy G ay and Reynaldo Hill and Drayton Florence. I'm not particularly happy with any of those three guys, though I suppose they'd do in a pinch.

Ideally, Jimmy Williams would suddenly emerge as a good, or even just decent, corner in Smith's system. It's not impossible, but I think we have to proceed on the basis that JW is not going to contribute, and it's an unexpected bonus if he does...

That leaves the draft. It's a very deep class in CB, though perhaps without elite talent. That actually gives us some flexibility, and there are corners to suit any system at various different points in the draft.

If we do trade Hall, the only pick in the first three rounds where we definitely won't pick a corner is #3. We could grab a guy like Talib, Jenkins or DRC with the pick garnered from Hall.

Personally, I'd most like to pick up Brandon Flowers in the late 2nd. He's got great instincts, which will help him to start straight away, and he's very physical against the run. He's not got elite speed, but we've already got Houston to match up against speedsters. Someone like Cason might also work, maybe in the 3rd.

If we got a 1st and 3rd for Hall, I'd be looking at:

#3: Ellis / Dorsey DT
                      1b: Brohm / Flacco QB
                      2a: Collins / Baker LT
                      2b: Flowers CB
                      3a: Smith / Rice / Forte RB
                      3b: Benedict / Schuening OG
                      4: Cottam / Davis TE

Comment

Working...
                      X