2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
    He is a young receiver. He will get over his drops. And I guess he does need to toughen up.

It was a knock on him coming out, and I read the other day that the team is souring on him because he doesn't have the toughness to get out there.

Comment

• We need offense, not defense. You build on your strengths, not your weaknesses. We need to give Matt Ryan and Michael Turner the best possible surrounding offense.

Defensively, we obviously need a lot. But I believe linebackers can be found late, same with defensive tackles after the few elite.

We do need some secondary pieces, but if Crabtree or an offensive tackle is available we need that player.
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• I really wouldnt lock Jenkins up long term but I would sign him to a one year contract and based on how he performs would determine if we sign him to a long term deal.

Comment

• I will give him some time to chance and toughen up. Play for the team.

I am not the biggest fan of getting a huge FA signing. Turner was a great signing, but it wasn't one of the biggest and we got him relatively cheap. I just feel as if expensive FAs hardly pan out. Hayden I like though.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Also if I had to guess who will be at the top of our draft board at the season end two names come to my mind....Malcolm Jenkins and William Moore.

Comment

And I agree with iloxy.
              I see that as iloxy's sig quote for many many years. :p

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
              02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
              02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
              02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
              Originally posted by fenikz
              we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                I see that as iloxy's sig quote for many many years. :p
                lol.

I am a huge fan of Malcolm Jenkins right now. We seem to be at a spot (pick 10-18) to pick him up. I see his stock dropping around combine time and other, more athletic CBs passing him. I think he would be perfect for system. OSU has a history of getting great CBs and Jenkins seems next in line.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                  We need offense, not defense. You build on your strengths, not your weaknesses. We need to give Matt Ryan and Michael Turner the best possible surrounding offense.

Defensively, we obviously need a lot. But I believe linebackers can be found late, same with defensive tackles after the few elite.

We do need some secondary pieces, but if Crabtree or an offensive tackle is available we need that player.
                  Matt Ryan already looks good/better than expected, i think he can continue to grow for 1 more season with mainly the weapons he has now...remember with Robinson Douglas and Jenkins there is till quite alot of breakout potential in there. That is on top of Roddy's ALL WORLD play right now-and even he is still getting better.

Dont get me wrong man im all for adding weapons for Ryan but i still think we are 1 season away from being at the stage where we can afford to really just do that. Im not sure how many games we can pull out with our current personel on D irrespective of the O. If we could sure up the D this year with 1 or maybe 2 F/A signings and 1 or 2 high(er) draft pics netting us a NT SS and CB then YES i deffinatly agree that from 2010 onwards you look to build a crazy O for Ryan. But right now i dont think we are there yet...the Colts only started winning big games when their D became average instead of horrible.

But yeah i deffinatly see what your saying, its just a matter of opinion. In the end its just an exciting time to follow a team like this and sure beats talking about Vick, Petrino and Joey Harrington
                  Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff; 10-14-2008, 05:18 PM.
                  Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

I just feel as if expensive FAs hardly pan out. Hayden I like though.
                    Well yeah your right, but i just get the vibe from TD and co. that they know what their doing in F/A. They arent gonna bring in a fat 3/4 ILB for a 4/3 team (Hartwell). I think if we spludge on F/A in the TD era it will be pricise and effective

Comment

• Yeah. The only offensive player I can see us spending a first on is a stud TE. I would love for Ryan to have a target in the middle of the field. Like all his passes are to the side line...

You guys have to admit though, it would be fun. Give Ryan Crabtree. Get a quality TE. Engage in shootouts all the time. With the talent we have, I am sure we would be able to win a lot of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                        It doesn't hurt to surround your franchise QB with as much talent as possible. Especially considering we don't have a legit 2nd option.
                        yeah, but that option needs to be a TE. we have 3 WR's who are solid slot receivers with 2 as possible solid #2s (Robinson/Dogulas) so let's let the receivers actually develop before we make any judgments.

Owner of ScarDraft
                        Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

• Originally posted by scar988 View Post
                          yeah, but that option needs to be a TE. we have 3 WR's who are solid slot receivers with 2 as possible solid #2s (Robinson/Dogulas) so let's let the receivers actually develop before we make any judgments.
                          I agree with you, this is the first year that any of our WR play with a good QB. It's amazing how much better a good QB makes a WR, i think we should draft more on the defensive side, and let the offense develop more because everyone is young besides McClure.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                          02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                          Originally posted by fenikz
                          we all hate you

Comment

lol.

I am a huge fan of Malcolm Jenkins right now. We seem to be at a spot (pick 10-18) to pick him up. I see his stock dropping around combine time and other, more athletic CBs passing him. I think he would be perfect for system. OSU has a history of getting great CBs and Jenkins seems next in line.
                            Malcolm Jenkins could come right in and start from day one which would bump Grimes out of the starting lineup (Thank God)....And maybe Chevis Jackson could give Chris Houston some competetion for the starting spot on the other side another option would be to sign Chris Gamble and draft William Moore.

Comment

• Originally posted by falconsrule View Post
                              Malcolm Jenkins could come right in and start from day one which would bump Grimes out of the starting lineup (Thank God)....And maybe Chevis Jackson could give Chris Houston some competetion for the starting spot on the other side another option would be to sign Chris Gamble and draft William Moore.
                              I agree mostly, however, while I love Chris Gamble as a player if both were F/A's and after everything i've read and seen i think CB Kelvin Hayden from the Colts, being only 25, not as highly sought after and having played his whole career in the cover 2, would be a slightly better fit.

Malcom Jenkins is deffinately another solid option though. It all depends on our draft position and the stock of alot of these guys as April nears
                              Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff; 10-14-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• We don't run all cover 2 though. We do run a lot of zone, but we run man as well. We need athletes as well as players who can tackle.
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information