Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In my mock you guys ended up grabbing William Moore and Vince Oghabaase, I think that it should really help your guys D but jsut figured I'd check with yall.

    Comment


    • Thats fine, but we need a TE/WR

      "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

      Comment


      • I don't classify WR and TE as our top 2 needs though, we need to see what Laurent has to offer because he seems very much like the #2 WR you guys want, and I want. He's got good size, he's got amazing playmaking ability, he's able to get open. Robinson when healthy will put our offensive lineup the way it was intended to be. Jenkins though gives that big target, I like having him around. That brings up another problem with the fade to Roddy...throw it to Jenks...he's bigger and can still jump like woah. That's what his body type is created for.

        If you wanna talk about just big targets though, and Touchdown threats, Greg Carr. The guy is an absolute redzone MONSTER. He cannot be stopped, never has been, plus this year for the first time he's showing that he can run some pretty good routes as well. Obviously worked on that in the offseason, and it wouldn't cost us a day one pick. He'll be around in the 4-5th round range. If Preston Parker decides to declare though, that's who I want. He's a playmaker extraordinaire, return game, and at the WR position. I know I know I'm a FSU homer, whatever, look at the players I've wanted from there though and tell me I'm not legit. The FSU WR corps is about 8 WRs deep right now, 3 of them are going to be very good pros, with potential for 2 of them to really bust out and be top 10-15 range guys in the pros. My favorite WR would be #1 though, kid never played highschool ball, but he's a force on the field. He's about 6'3-6'4 (listed at 6'5) 220 pounds and he doesn't run routes like a big guy, he's super crisp out of his routes and he's normally open even if Ponder doesn't see him. He's a guy who won't declare because he's only a Junior, but man, next year that kid is one to watch for. His name is Surrency. Just another name to watch out for. But those 3 guys, Carr as a nice mismatch guy, good depth at the WR position later in the draft, Parker as a day 1 guy and a #2 WR (in ATL at least, #1 a lot of places) and Surrency (the guy I feel like has potential to be the next TO, but he's worked his butt off at FSU, don't hear anything bad about him)

        Preston Parker FSU Bio.
        http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-f...preston00.html

        Greg Carr FSU Bio.
        http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-f...rr_greg00.html

        I would put Surrency's up, but he was a JUCO guy. Baller though.
        Last edited by iloxygenil; 10-29-2008, 08:40 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
          Yeah of course. Having a tall target opens up things for the offense allows you to make different types of plays, but at the same time, I would not turn down other skill sets (speed, route running ability) for some height. If we have WR1 and WR2 and both are similar in all aspects of the game except WR1 has more speed and WR2 is taller, than who would you take? That is essentially the trade off. I personally do not have a preference and would not mind WR1 or WR2.
          I agree, exactly like you said, you gotta give somethin up to get the other...Damn you Randy Moss...where are your clones??

          Comment


          • Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
            I don't classify WR and TE as our top 2 needs though, we need to see what Laurent has to offer because he seems very much like the #2 WR you guys want, and I want. He's got good size, he's got amazing playmaking ability, he's able to get open. Robinson when healthy will put our offensive lineup the way it was intended to be. Jenkins though gives that big target, I like having him around. That brings up another problem with the fade to Roddy...throw it to Jenks...he's bigger and can still jump like woah. That's what his body type is created for.

            If you wanna talk about just big targets though, and Touchdown threats, Greg Carr. The guy is an absolute redzone MONSTER. He cannot be stopped, never has been, plus this year for the first time he's showing that he can run some pretty good routes as well. Obviously worked on that in the offseason, and it wouldn't cost us a day one pick. He'll be around in the 4-5th round range. If Preston Parker decides to declare though, that's who I want. He's a playmaker extraordinaire, return game, and at the WR position. I know I know I'm a FSU homer, whatever, look at the players I've wanted from there though and tell me I'm not legit. The FSU WR corps is about 8 WRs deep right now, 3 of them are going to be very good pros, with potential for 2 of them to really bust out and be top 10-15 range guys in the pros. My favorite WR would be #1 though, kid never played highschool ball, but he's a force on the field. He's about 6'3-6'4 (listed at 6'5) 220 pounds and he doesn't run routes like a big guy, he's super crisp out of his routes and he's normally open even if Ponder doesn't see him. He's a guy who won't declare because he's only a Junior, but man, next year that kid is one to watch for. His name is Surrency. Just another name to watch out for. But those 3 guys, Carr as a nice mismatch guy, good depth at the WR position later in the draft, Parker as a day 1 guy and a #2 WR (in ATL at least, #1 a lot of places) and Surrency (the guy I feel like has potential to be the next TO, but he's worked his butt off at FSU, don't hear anything bad about him)

            Preston Parker FSU Bio.
            http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-f...preston00.html

            Greg Carr FSU Bio.
            http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-f...rr_greg00.html

            I would put Surrency's up, but he was a JUCO guy. Baller though.
            First of all...GO GATORS!!!

            Second, out of the players you mentioned, I only like Surrency. I have seen FSU a few times this year, and I think your homerism is slightly biased. Preston Parker has shown Petter Warrick like ability at times, but the problem w/ him is he is not consitent week to week. He does have potential though, but that will not get him picked on day 1 right now. He could have a good rest of the season and good combine and squeeze into the bottom of round 2.

            Greg Carr is a beast in the since of height. Great leaping ability, but from what Ive seen of him he isnt much of a threat at all until the red zone. He has very poor route running and isnt fast at all. Basically he will be a long time # 4 receiver in the NFL and maybe a redzone threat.

            Surrency though I like. He is quick for his size and just goes up and gets the ball. Shows decent route running ability which will only get better. This guy will be good.

            Comment


            • Texas vs TT this weekend, I believe. If you get a chance, check out my man Crabtree against some top competition.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
                First of all...GO GATORS!!!

                Second, out of the players you mentioned, I only like Surrency. I have seen FSU a few times this year, and I think your homerism is slightly biased. Preston Parker has shown Petter Warrick like ability at times, but the problem w/ him is he is not consitent week to week. He does have potential though, but that will not get him picked on day 1 right now. He could have a good rest of the season and good combine and squeeze into the bottom of round 2.

                Greg Carr is a beast in the since of height. Great leaping ability, but from what Ive seen of him he isnt much of a threat at all until the red zone. He has very poor route running and isnt fast at all. Basically he will be a long time # 4 receiver in the NFL and maybe a redzone threat.

                Surrency though I like. He is quick for his size and just goes up and gets the ball. Shows decent route running ability which will only get better. This guy will be good.
                You haven't watched many games then, There's a reason Parker is all-American, and all ACC. Carr manages an insane 18.6 ypc for his career, and this year has been making the most of his big play ability catching balls over the middle etc. Parker is a pure playmaker, you'll talk about Harvin, but guess what Parker can play HB too, and has well at the college level. He has exceptional hands and vision. He's going to be the best projected pro coming out of those 3. Like I said. Carr is a good red zone threat...so I appreciate you clarifying my point which I already made. You can not like Parker if you don't want, but he doesn't play like Warrick. They're both playmakers, but Warrick was lazy, on the field too. He just coasted in college, Parker works hard, and it shows, look at his blocking, it's fantastic as well.

                Parker:
                Hands: Well above Average
                Routes: Well above Average
                Hops: Average
                Break Tackle: Elite
                Big Play ability: Elite
                Blocking: Elite
                Football Player: Well above average.
                Size: Average
                YAC: Well Above Average to Elite
                Versatility: Elite
                Return ability: Well above average

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                  Texas vs TT this weekend, I believe. If you get a chance, check out my man Crabtree against some top competition.
                  I want to join in on this love affair, but I can't, this team doesn't need to build like Detroit, it needs to build like a consistent winner. We need help in the trenches and on defense. We can't afford a luxury pick. Doesn't matter, he'll be gone by the time we pick anyway.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                    You haven't watched many games then, There's a reason Parker is all-American, and all ACC. Carr manages an insane 18.6 ypc for his career, and this year has been making the most of his big play ability catching balls over the middle etc. Parker is a pure playmaker, you'll talk about Harvin, but guess what Parker can play HB too, and has well at the college level. He has exceptional hands and vision. He's going to be the best projected pro coming out of those 3. Like I said. Carr is a good red zone threat...so I appreciate you clarifying my point which I already made. You can not like Parker if you don't want, but he doesn't play like Warrick. They're both playmakers, but Warrick was lazy, on the field too. He just coasted in college, Parker works hard, and it shows, look at his blocking, it's fantastic as well.

                    Parker:
                    Hands: Well above Average
                    Routes: Well above Average
                    Hops: Average
                    Break Tackle: Elite
                    Big Play ability: Elite
                    Blocking: Elite
                    Football Player: Well above average.
                    Size: Average
                    YAC: Well Above Average to Elite
                    Versatility: Elite
                    Return ability: Well above average
                    Parker is not an All-American. He won't even be second team, probably not third.

                    He won't be all ACC, either. Hakeem Nicks and Darrius Heyward Bey will probably get the nods.

                    Parker has 13 catches in five games, for only 125 yards and no touchdowns.

                    Parker isn't close to Harvin or Maclin at this point.

                    He was pretty good last year, though.
                    Virginia Tech.
                    ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                    Next Up: 2012

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                      I want to join in on this love affair, but I can't, this team doesn't need to build like Detroit, it needs to build like a consistent winner. We need help in the trenches and on defense. We can't afford a luxury pick. Doesn't matter, he'll be gone by the time we pick anyway.


                      Ryan needs another target. I'd prefer a TE, but a target's a target. We need one bad. Although, I agree he'll probably be gone.

                      Comment


                      • If we select a WR in next years draft, that doesnt exactly mean we're building like the lions. We actually have a QB and a decent line that can protect him. Matt Ryan is being compared most to Peyton so lets see...

                        Matt Ryan ---- Peyton Manning

                        Roddy White ---- Marvin Harrison

                        Crabtree/Maclin ---- Reggie Wayne

                        Chase Coffman ---- Dallas Clark

                        I know the comparisons are off, but im just trying to say giving our peyton manning some targets is not a bad thing.

                        Sig by: BK

                        02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                        02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                        02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                        02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                        Originally posted by fenikz
                        we all hate you

                        Comment


                        • But can you guys really afford to focus on the O which has a lot of nice pieces already in play when you're rush D is so weak and your secondary could really use a stud safety roaming deep?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by giantsfan View Post
                            But can you guys really afford to focus on the O which has a lot of nice pieces already in play when you're rush D is so weak and your secondary could really use a stud safety roaming deep?
                            1st round - WR
                            2nd round - TE
                            3rd round - o - line depht
                            4th round - returner

                            and the rest for defense. :D

                            Sig by: BK

                            02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                            02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                            02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                            02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                            Originally posted by fenikz
                            we all hate you

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by giantsfan View Post
                              But can you guys really afford to focus on the O which has a lot of nice pieces already in play when you're rush D is so weak and your secondary could really use a stud safety roaming deep?


                              Yes. We have the making of a dynamic offense. A couple of pieces, and it's there. I think we will go defense, but just another bigtime pass catching threat makes us so good offensively because Ryan will be even better in year 2.

                              Comment


                              • You build on your strengths, not your weaknesses. I've said since Ryan was drafted that we could, and should, follow the Colts model and just surround our quarterback with weapons, and then get role players on defense.

                                The only reason I want Taylor Mays is because I don't see Crabtree being available, and I see Mays as a better fit and value than Maclin. Maclin would be best as a slot receiver, and we have ours in Harry Douglas. Although Maclin's punt return skills would be a big plus.
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                                Next Up: 2012

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information