2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
    You build on your strengths, not your weaknesses. I've said since Ryan was drafted that we could, and should, follow the Colts model and just surround our quarterback with weapons, and then get role players on defense.

The only reason I want Taylor Mays is because I don't see Crabtree being available, and I see Mays as a better fit and value than Maclin. Maclin would be best as a slot receiver, and we have ours in Harry Douglas. Although Maclin's punt return skills would be a big plus.

Maclin's more of a deep guy too. While Ryan has proved he can make the throws, he's still not best at chucking it deep. In between the hashes on intermediate routes is where he is great. That's why a TE, or a YAC machine like Crabtree is very valuable to him IMO.

Comment

• Eh, I think Ryan looks deep plenty. But I think White and Douglas are fine deep targets, Robinson too. I agree the guy we need is a possesion receiver or a yards after the catch player. A player like Crabtree can do anything.
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsfan View Post
        But can you guys really afford to focus on the O which has a lot of nice pieces already in play when you're rush D is so weak and your secondary could really use a stud safety roaming deep?
        the reason we want another threat is because our offense now is great, but one more guy will take it over the top.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
        02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
        Originally posted by fenikz
        we all hate you

Comment

• Im glad we are all on the same page about the offense and realizing we need more receiving threats. Crabtree fits perfectly, but if the season goes as we hope it to, then He will probably fall out of our range, at the lowest I see Crabtree going is 15th so well see.

Im hoping we pick lower b/c there will be a guy that will fall to us. William Moore, Crabtree, Maclin, Mays...maybe a few others that step up as well.

I don't really think this team would complain if we drafted Crabtree and Coffman. Our offense would be over the top, and we would have no excuses. I mean just that feeling of our defense getting a stop and knowing our O can just get points every time would be great.

Bama I love the idea of building on our strengths. I mean we didnt draft Ryan to let him play w/ a mediocre offense and pay him 72 Million to throw to Finneran and Peele...

Ryan is indeed our franchise so why not get him the best players we can and let him sling it around and have Turner and Norwood for excellent balance. I mean no one will argye that the Colts were not amazing when they have the trio of Peyton, Harrison and James...that was nuts and succesful.

Our major areas of need on D is a playmaking S, a stud DT and some LB depth, as well a another CB.

In this draft there isnt really that Freak S or DT. Now Moore and Mays are good players but just dont have ZOMG following their name. LB has some intriguin prospects, but thats not priority this year especially since we have Nicholas who I think will be great when givin his chance.

at CB, there are really only 2-3 sure fire first rounders. Malcom Jenkins and Vontae Davis, with Alonso Smith cracking the first. All of those guys are "good" but are not the "elite" guys like D Hall was or Pacman coming out.

W/ all that being said I do see Crabtree and an "elite" WR and Coffman, not as an all around TE but as an "elite" pass catching TE.

Comment

Parker is not an All-American. He won't even be second team, probably not third.

He won't be all ACC, either. Hakeem Nicks and Darrius Heyward Bey will probably get the nods.

Parker has 13 catches in five games, for only 125 yards and no touchdowns.

Parker isn't close to Harvin or Maclin at this point.

He was pretty good last year, though.
            Please read the bio and that'll be the end of your discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
              Im glad we are all on the same page about the offense and realizing we need more receiving threats. Crabtree fits perfectly, but if the season goes as we hope it to, then He will probably fall out of our range, at the lowest I see Crabtree going is 15th so well see.

Im hoping we pick lower b/c there will be a guy that will fall to us. William Moore, Crabtree, Maclin, Mays...maybe a few others that step up as well.

I don't really think this team would complain if we drafted Crabtree and Coffman. Our offense would be over the top, and we would have no excuses. I mean just that feeling of our defense getting a stop and knowing our O can just get points every time would be great.

Bama I love the idea of building on our strengths. I mean we didnt draft Ryan to let him play w/ a mediocre offense and pay him 72 Million to throw to Finneran and Peele...

Ryan is indeed our franchise so why not get him the best players we can and let him sling it around and have Turner and Norwood for excellent balance. I mean no one will argye that the Colts were not amazing when they have the trio of Peyton, Harrison and James...that was nuts and succesful.

Our major areas of need on D is a playmaking S, a stud DT and some LB depth, as well a another CB.

In this draft there isnt really that Freak S or DT. Now Moore and Mays are good players but just dont have ZOMG following their name. LB has some intriguin prospects, but thats not priority this year especially since we have Nicholas who I think will be great when givin his chance.

at CB, there are really only 2-3 sure fire first rounders. Malcom Jenkins and Vontae Davis, with Alonso Smith cracking the first. All of those guys are "good" but are not the "elite" guys like D Hall was or Pacman coming out.

W/ all that being said I do see Crabtree and an "elite" WR and Coffman, not as an all around TE but as an "elite" pass catching TE.
              Problem I see here is Deangelo wasn't 'elite' when we drafted him, he just had a freak combine so he sky rocketed. Now as far as CBs this year go, I am all about Malcom Jenkins, but Alphonso Smith is a playmaker out of this world style. His only reason for not being a top5 prospect is because 1 he plays at Wake, and 2 he's small. That's the only reason I'm not hoping to get him, he's only 5'9, he plays about 5'11, and his ball skills and tackling are amazing. I watched him, get blocked 'out' of a play, to still get up off the ground and in the middle of getting up, knocked the WR backwards picking him up in the process. He's a strong STRONG kid, and a fantastic football player.

I'd love to have a Colts style offense, but that's not what I see here. Colts only got to the big dance once, because they couldn't function in cold weather, Defense and Running game are paramount for post season success. That's how it's always been that's how it'll always be. We need a DT, I know there aren't any, but right now an elite Safety would change everything for our defense, could be more aggressive with LBs etc.

I think Nicholas is a great prospect, and I want him on the field, but for some reason this coaching staff doesn't see him as a starter right now, even though Brooking has been poor all year minus 1 good game. It's time for a changing of the guard at WLB, and if it's not Nicholas, then we need to draft a LB. Curry is a fine prospect, so is Brian Cushing. I hate USC, but that's the LB I'd like to pick up for the weak side of our defense. I want a TE too, but we don't have to go day 1 on a TE to have a guy who can make an impact, Becks is out for the season now which means he's going to be a 5th round pick at best, and that'd be a beautiful pickup for us. We all knew going into this that Mularkey wasn't going to use the TEs as a threat too often. As far as WR goes, yeah, Crabtree looks fantastic, (Started looking stuff up on him) but 1. you gotta be wary of that system, and 2. we need to find out just what Robinson has to offer, we were all excited about him, now just because of injuries we aren't? I don't think so.

The game that Robinson played in he led our team in receptions, even over Roddy, so that's a good sign. I don't think we need another #1 WR like Arizona has, if we could hit on a Safety and LB in the top 2 rounds, that'd be HUGE for us. There are a lot of pass rushing DEs out there this year too, so we could pickup good depth there if we decide to ditch Kroy, or move him to a 3-4 team where he could play that rush LB position, seems to me that'd be his best fit.

It may not always be the case, but normally it's the squeeky wheel that gets the oil, so right now I'd say #1 is punt/kickoff return and #2 would be our defense, our offense has looked good for the most part. I think Robinson and White will be the duo we'll be very happy with. Remember, the guy who coached TJ Who'syourmomma is the one who wanted Robinson in here and that was the player he compared him to. So with White and Robinson and Douglas from the slot with Jenkins as a depth guy, we'd have one heck of a solid WR Corps. Plus we're going to have to invest in Roddy real soon with getting him locked in for the long haul. So I don't see this FO putting that much money in the WR position. Not with a defensive minded coach who knows we need help on that side of the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                You haven't watched many games then, There's a reason Parker is all-American, and all ACC. Carr manages an insane 18.6 ypc for his career, and this year has been making the most of his big play ability catching balls over the middle etc. Parker is a pure playmaker, you'll talk about Harvin, but guess what Parker can play HB too, and has well at the college level. He has exceptional hands and vision. He's going to be the best projected pro coming out of those 3. Like I said. Carr is a good red zone threat...so I appreciate you clarifying my point which I already made. You can not like Parker if you don't want, but he doesn't play like Warrick. They're both playmakers, but Warrick was lazy, on the field too. He just coasted in college, Parker works hard, and it shows, look at his blocking, it's fantastic as well.

Parker:
                Hands: Well above Average
                Routes: Well above Average
                Hops: Average
                Break Tackle: Elite
                Big Play ability: Elite
                Blocking: Elite
                Football Player: Well above average.
                Size: Average
                YAC: Well Above Average to Elite
                Versatility: Elite
                Return ability: Well above average
                I don't need to read his biography, I was responding to your post, which said he is an all american and all acc. It didn't say he was all american and acc. And right now comparing Harvin and Parker is silly.
                Virginia Tech.

Comment

I don't need to read his biography, I was responding to your post, which said he is an all american and all acc. It didn't say he was all american and acc. And right now comparing Harvin and Parker is silly.
                  I compared their skill sets, and again you don't read anything. Ever, it's like arguing with a 2x4. I'll go copy and paste the bio for your lazy butt.

Comment

• No matter if he was a canidate or not, he hasn't produced like an all american of all acc. Not to mention he has character issues.
                    Virginia Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/parker_preston00.html
                      earned All-ACC second team honors as a wide receiver

earned All-American honors
                      http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-f...preston00.html

So, like I said, read the bio, I had already linked, and you = toast. He's already garnered those awards in his career...

Comment

No matter if he was a canidate or not, he hasn't produced like an all american of all acc. Not to mention he has character issues.
                        He does? Quit pulling stuff out of your hind quarters and prove it. You're making stuff up that you have no idea about, I'll just get in touch with Myron Rolle and ask him if he has character issues. Honestly give me a break man, you're just hatin. Yeah he hasn't had as big of a year this year as he did last year, but doesn't make him not a playmaker, the FSU offense has been basically wide open, and they're so deep at WR the ball has to be spread too thin. Character isn't the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                          He does? Quit pulling stuff out of your hind quarters and prove it. You're making stuff up that you have no idea about, I'll just get in touch with Myron Rolle and ask him if he has character issues. Honestly give me a break man, you're just hatin. Yeah he hasn't had as big of a year this year as he did last year, but doesn't make him not a playmaker, the FSU offense has been basically wide open, and they're so deep at WR the ball has to be spread too thin. Character isn't the issue.
                          http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3359109

I'm not saying he is not a good player, but he isn't great at this point.
                          Virginia Tech.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3359109

I'm not saying he is not a good player, but he isn't great at this point.
                            That's not a character issue. That's a stupid kid who didn't know any better, that was April and you haven't heard anything of it since. Lets get real here. He was sat the first couple of games and has responded very well to his discipline, didn't go prima donna on everyone in the clubhouse. Character and a bad decision aren't the same thing.

Comment

• That is what we call a character issue in the draft. Saying otherwise is a homer move. Even if he is a 'good kid', he will now be cited for having character issues throughout the draft process. It will be in every scouting report.
                              Virginia Tech.

Comment

• yeah dude, that's a serious character issue. not like it matters because I don't think we will draft a WR.

Owner of ScarDraft
                                Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information