2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
    Ok instead of just repeating what Bama said, will you please clarify your opinion??

At least Bama offers legit points that we can discuss. I respect that.

What do you want? You asked for a better pass catching TE. I gave you one, from this years class no less.

Comment

• When Matt Ryan goes into his shotgun formating, takes his three steps, or rolls out of the pocket to pass, idc, i'll rather have Chase Coffman receiving the ball than any other TE that comes out of this years class.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
      02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
      02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
      02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
      Originally posted by fenikz
      we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
        Okay get over the TEs. We don't need a first round TE, not in our system. Sorry, it's just not a requirement. Lets talk about first round potential players that would make this team better.

What first round OLBs are out there, Brooking has to go, and we need another elite LB...we may not even have Boley around after this year. We've gotta find someone to step up and step into those places.

Safety is a huge need, CB is a small desire now with Foxy playing well. DT but there really aren't any...
        nicholas is the heir apparent for brooking. if we don't resign boley, i'll be pissed.

first round, i like willy mo and he's number one on my board. we need a thumping safety and if milloy leaves and there isnt a suitable replacement, i think there'll be a steep dropoff in our defense especially in the run game. every run play ends with him in the vicinity either slowing the back down or bringing him down. i really think he's an unsung hero in the defense and besides DT, a replacement for milloy is our first and foremost need.

it really sucks that there are no elite DTs in the '09 draft. most of you would like to build on our strength, being the offense, but i would love a 1) Moore 2) Oghobasse draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
          nicholas is the heir apparent for brooking. if we don't resign boley, i'll be pissed.

first round, i like willy mo and he's number one on my board. we need a thumping safety and if milloy leaves and there isnt a suitable replacement, i think there'll be a steep dropoff in our defense especially in the run game. every run play ends with him in the vicinity either slowing the back down or bringing him down. i really think he's an unsung hero in the defense and besides DT, a replacement for milloy is our first and foremost need.

it really sucks that there are no elite DTs in the '09 draft. most of you would like to build on our strength, being the offense, but i would love a 1) Moore 2) Oghobasse draft.
          I would like for us to build of of our strength but that right there i cant complain about. Matt Ryan will be getting better, we need the defensive replacements for the guys who are aging and i would love Moore and/or Oghobaase draft.
          Last edited by Bosanac01; 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM.

we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by thefalconer View Post

Says who? the fans would like to see that, but there's no guarantee of that, in fact he fits more in the SLB role than the WLB role, which it appears that Boley is going for with his weight loss. Which wouldn't be bad, but don't be surprised if we're looking at OLBs come draft day. We need more than just 1 LB for depth. If we move Nicholas into the lineup that leaves us Coy Wire, who did a fine job in spot duty, but he's not going to fill in at all 3 linebacker spots. Don't be so naive.

We need a ball hawking Safety, Coleman can thump enough and I think he'd be better suited as the strong Safety, he's good in coverage, but I wanna drop into cover 1 sometimes and bring that blitz, he's not the guy I want back on the deep coverage every time, but would also allow us to mask it and switch it up because he is capable. So a thumping safety isn't what I'm looking for.

Comment

• We will not be looking for an OLBer in the first round man. Its stephen nicholas'es turn, he looks good and ready but they dont want to take brooking out of the line up because of the experiance he brings and that radio he has in his helmet. Bottom line is we need a LBer at least for depth, yes, but we will still have Robert James competing for a spot next year, and we will probably select another no earlier then the 3th round.

we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                When Matt Ryan goes into his shotgun formating, takes his three steps, or rolls out of the pocket to pass, idc, i'll rather have Chase Coffman receiving the ball than any other TE that comes out of this years class.

Well, ok, then. I'm not sure how that's "backing yourself up" which is what neg repped me for BTW. Most people I am associated with have Gresham a few notches above Coffman at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                  We will not be looking for an OLBer in the first round man. Its stephen nicholas'es turn, he looks good and ready but they dont want to take brooking out of the line up because of the experiance he brings and that radio he has in his helmet. Bottom line is we need a LBer at least for depth, yes, but we will still have Robert James competing for a spot next year, and we will probably select another no earlier then the 3th round.
                  Says you, you have NO idea if we'll keep Brooking and or Boley around. The Fans want to think we will, but Boley isn't doing much this year, he's doing what he's asked, but he's not anything extra impressive. I love Boley, but he may want too much money, remember, as a 5th round pick he declared himself the best linebacker in the draft. He's confident in himself and that helps him on the field, but if he's going to ask for back breaking money we can't go there. We need a LB, you can say we don't because you're chokin your chicken to Chase Coffman, but there's no reason we don't look at a LB in the first round, especially if we're going to fall in the 18-24 range and could be the prime value for a guy like Brian Cushing.

You can't write ANYTHING off at this point. There's no position we won't evaluate, even QB, you can't rule it out yet, no matter how good Ryan has been, not RB no matter how deep we are, we can't tell what injuries will happen in the next few weeks. So don't rule anything out, and your idea of a first round TE is more outlandish than mine of a first round OLB. This offense got the TE it wanted in Free Agency last year, the big blocking guy, and tell me what Justin Peele hasn't shown as a pass catcher. He's doing what he's asked to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                    Says you, you have NO idea if we'll keep Brooking and or Boley around. The Fans want to think we will, but Boley isn't doing much this year, he's doing what he's asked, but he's not anything extra impressive. I love Boley, but he may want too much money, remember, as a 5th round pick he declared himself the best linebacker in the draft. He's confident in himself and that helps him on the field, but if he's going to ask for back breaking money we can't go there. We need a LB, you can say we don't because you're chokin your chicken to Chase Coffman, but there's no reason we don't look at a LB in the first round, especially if we're going to fall in the 18-24 range and could be the prime value for a guy like Brian Cushing.

You can't write ANYTHING off at this point. There's no position we won't evaluate, even QB, you can't rule it out yet, no matter how good Ryan has been, not RB no matter how deep we are, we can't tell what injuries will happen in the next few weeks. So don't rule anything out, and your idea of a first round TE is more outlandish than mine of a first round OLB. This offense got the TE it wanted in Free Agency last year, the big blocking guy, and tell me what Justin Peele hasn't shown as a pass catcher. He's doing what he's asked to do.
                    I never said anything about selecting a TE in the first round but i just think a TE is more of a need then an OLBer. As much as i would like a LBer early in the draft i dont believe we will go for one until 3rd round or later, the depth is too great.

we all hate you

Comment

• http://www.draftcountdown.com/blog/a...2008.php#oct31

Scott Wright talking about the talent at the center position, this is great because we really need one. Todd McClure looks horrible.

we all hate you

Comment

• I believe you can switch whoever has the radio in the defense. I don't think we're keeping Brooking in because of the "radio in his helmet". I think we're not benching Brooking because he's a team captain, and like Bosanac said, he brings a lot of experience and leadership in that huddle on D.

I do believe Nicholas deserves a chance to start sometime this season. He has shown how good he can be when put on the field on the right situations. When he's on the field, our linebacking corp. is a lot faster and quicker.

As far as the draft goes, Aaron Curry will be an impact player in the NFL. I wouldn't mind if we drafted him in the first round we would still have Nicholas, but all I know is... if we drafted Aaron Curry, he would bring so much more to the table than Nicholas ever would. Stephen Nicholas is one of those linebackers that make the tackles they're supposed to make, covers the zone they're assigned to cover, etc... but that's just it. He's not really a playmaker. He's often just a one-dimensional linebacker who's more suited to play Boley's position than the weak side linebacker IMHO. He brings depth to this team, but I think we can do a lot better in addressing the outside linebacker position this offseason than sticking Nicholas in there.

Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/blog/a...2008.php#oct31

Scott Wright talking about the talent at the center position, this is great because we really need one. Todd McClure looks horrible.
                        Has McClure looked bad? I think our entire offensive line is doing much better than people expected. McClure has been very good this year. He came in this year around 290 lbs., but has packed on at least ten or so pounds. He's wrestling defensive tackles down to the ground that are much heavier than he is. He's a zone blocking center playing in a power-oriented blocking scheme. I'm impressed with how he's playing.

The thing with McClure is his age. It's not that there are no 31 year-old centers that are good in the NFL, but I think the center position is a position where we have some things going for us because in the draft, we can pick someone up that will be able to learn behind McClure for the next year or so. I now believe that the center position is a need, but not an immediate need.

Comment

• I directed my attention to only watching McClure and what i've seen is, he gets beat a lot by some of the quicker DLmen. He looks good holding his ground a lot of times, but just isn't the same anymore athleticly but still fights till the end of the play.

we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by Thigamahjigee View Post
                            What do you want? You asked for a better pass catching TE. I gave you one, from this years class no less.
                            B/C Gresham isnt a better pass catching TE. Coffman has by far the best hands out of any TE and has made bigger plays than any of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thigamahjigee View Post
                              Well, ok, then. I'm not sure how that's "backing yourself up" which is what neg repped me for BTW. Most people I am associated with have Gresham a few notches above Coffman at this point.
                              Listen, as an overall TE, yes Gresham is above Coffman, go back and re-read it. I said it myself. Yes, me, the biggest Coffman fan here.

Gresham will be picked over Coffman this year; but Coffman is a better "RECEIVING" TE than Gresham.

Im not sure what you are not seeing in our points being made. Nobody here is saying Coffman is better than Gresham as a TE.

Comment

• We won't pick an outside linebacker in round one unless the value is incredible. 4-3 outside linebackers are the easiest position to find.
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information