2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
    We won't pick an outside linebacker in round one unless the value is incredible. 4-3 outside linebackers are the easiest position to find.
    Thats exactly what i was saying. The depth at OLBer is incredible compared to a position such as TE.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
    02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
    02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
    02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
    Originally posted by fenikz
    we all hate you

Comment

• The Value of a Brian Cushing or Aaron Curry at 18-24 would be SIGNIFICANT, and nearly impossible to pass on. You're silly to think it's not a need.

Comment

• It is a minor need.

But a good-passable 4-3 outside linebacker can be found in the later rounds. A playmaking tight end is almost confined to the top two rounds.
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
          Listen, as an overall TE, yes Gresham is above Coffman, go back and re-read it. I said it myself. Yes, me, the biggest Coffman fan here.

Gresham will be picked over Coffman this year; but Coffman is a better "RECEIVING" TE than Gresham.

Im not sure what you are not seeing in our points being made. Nobody here is saying Coffman is better than Gresham as a TE.

I'm saying Gresham's a better receiver too. Coffman's talented, but you are overrating him, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thigamahjigee View Post
            I'm saying Gresham's a better receiver too. Coffman's talented, but you are overrating him, IMO.
            How am I overating him??? I don't have to say anything about him to make him legit. Watch any of his games this year, and tell me hes not the best receiving TE.

You obviously have not seen Coffman play this season.

Comment

It is a minor need.

But a good-passable 4-3 outside linebacker can be found in the later rounds. A playmaking tight end is almost confined to the top two rounds.
              Clay Matthews.

Comment

How am I overating him??? I don't have to say anything about him to make him legit. Watch any of his games this year, and tell me hes not the best receiving TE.

You obviously have not seen Coffman play this season.

Or I have and for some reason you insist on making him out better than he really is. I'd probably take Beckum's receiving skills as well.

Comment

Or I have and for some reason you insist on making him out better than he really is. I'd probably take Beckum's receiving skills as well.
                  Ok since you insist that I am overating Coffman, then please tell me why. Offer some facts to proove your point.

Proove to me that I am overating Coffman as a pass catcher and receiver, especially compared to Gresham and Beckum (who is now hurt and hasnt done anything this year).

Comment

• I like Mt.Coady in Rd 1 and Herman Johnson in round 2. and sign Terrell Suggs in FA.

Comment

• What?

Cody most likely won't enter the draft. He's been playing big time college football for one year.

Johnson is good, but guard isn't a primary need.

Suggs is a horrible fit. He would play defensive end for us, and we have Abraham at the weakside end where he would play. He has also been playing 3-4 outside linebacker for the past six years.
                      Virginia Tech.

Comment

Ok since you insist that I am overating Coffman, then please tell me why. Offer some facts to proove your point.

Proove to me that I am overating Coffman as a pass catcher and receiver, especially compared to Gresham and Beckum (who is now hurt and hasnt done anything this year).

Prove to me he's better. It's back and forth, and not going anywhere. Do you really think stats are comparing considering the offense Coffman plays in? And yes, Beckum hasn't set the world on fire this year, but compare his QB to Daniel and Bradford. You see what I mean, stats isn't the answer here. Coffman has a good pair of hands, but Gresham checks out a little higher, and Beckum has hands like a WR. There was even talk that he might have to make a move to WR and it could be successful because of his hands/pass-catching ability.

Comment

What?

Cody most likely won't enter the draft. He's been playing big time college football for one year.

Johnson is good, but guard isn't a primary need.

Suggs is a horrible fit. He would play defensive end for us, and we have Abraham at the weakside end where he would play. He has also been playing 3-4 outside linebacker for the past six years.
                          I agree with you although Cody and Johnson would make a great sumo wrestling match.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                          02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                          Originally posted by fenikz
                          we all hate you

Comment

Prove to me he's better. It's back and forth, and not going anywhere. Do you really think stats are comparing considering the offense Coffman plays in? And yes, Beckum hasn't set the world on fire this year, but compare his QB to Daniel and Bradford. You see what I mean, stats isn't the answer here. Coffman has a good pair of hands, but Gresham checks out a little higher, and Beckum has hands like a WR. There was even talk that he might have to make a move to WR and it could be successful because of his hands/pass-catching ability.
                            Coffman against top competition-

Illinois- 9 rec. 120 yards 1 TD 45 pass attemps
                            Ok. State- 11 rec. 104 yards 52 pass attemps
                            Texas- 12 rec. 140 yards 1 TD 41 pass attemps

Total= 32 rec. 364 yards 2 TD 138 pass attemps

Gresham against top competition-

TCU- 1 rec. 38 yards 34 pass attemps
                            Texas- 5 rec. 90 yards 1 TD 39 pass attemps
                            Kansas- 5 rec 55 yards 1 TD 53 pass attemps

Total= 11 rec. 183 yards 2 TD 127 pass attemps

Now, there is your proof, In big games Coffman provides his team w/ 23% of the catches where as Gresham provides 9%.

So don't tell me about the "style" of offense b/c Mizzou only threw the ball 11 more times.

Comment

• This whole arguement is pointless.

And comparing production doesn't do much. Gresham has and does line up at receiver, but he is a very traditional tight end in comparison to Coffman. Coffman is essentially a college receiver projected as a pro tight end.

Gresham is bigger, faster, and has produced almost equally if comparing a senior to a senior, better if comparing by class; Gresham's junior year is on pace to destroy Coffman's junior year. Coffman is also the safety net for Daniel, where as Gresham is one of many weapons and is a better big play threat (over 14 yards per catch every year, 15.3 this year compared to Coffman's under 12 yards per catch every year and 11.2 this year).

More evidence of Gresham being more of a weapon and less of a check down is that he has 20 touchdowns on 71 receptions in the past two years, where as Coffman has 14 touchdowns on 125 receptions.

Where as Coffman makes a lot of receptions and does have some quickness, Gresham is just a freak and has made a ton of big plays in only two years starting at Oklahoma. If tight ends can be compared to receivers, Gresham would be the Patriots' Moss and Coffman would be Welker.

I will agree that Coffman would be a very good value in round two, and he would be a great fit. I actually like him in round two more than Gresham in round one if Taylor Mays is gone in round one.
                              Virginia Tech.

Comment

• ^ And there you go. Getting more catches isn't an indication of having better hands or catching ability. That's something you have to properly evaluate.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information