Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
    This whole arguement is pointless.

And comparing production doesn't do much. Gresham has and does line up at receiver, but he is a very traditional tight end in comparison to Coffman. Coffman is essentially a college receiver projected as a pro tight end.

Gresham is bigger, faster, and has produced almost equally if comparing a senior to a senior, better if comparing by class; Gresham's junior year is on pace to destroy Coffman's junior year. Coffman is also the safety net for Daniel, where as Gresham is one of many weapons and is a better big play threat (over 14 yards per catch every year, 15.3 this year compared to Coffman's under 12 yards per catch every year and 11.2 this year).

More evidence of Gresham being more of a weapon and less of a check down is that he has 20 touchdowns on 71 receptions in the past two years, where as Coffman has 14 touchdowns on 125 receptions.

Where as Coffman makes a lot of receptions and does have some quickness, Gresham is just a freak and has made a ton of big plays in only two years starting at Oklahoma. If tight ends can be compared to receivers, Gresham would be the Patriots' Moss and Coffman would be Welker.

I will agree that Coffman would be a very good value in round two, and he would be a great fit. I actually like him in round two more than Gresham in round one if Taylor Mays is gone in round one.
    Im just making the argument for his receiving abilities. We cannot compare him as a junior b/c they both are coming out this year.

You make a great point about the Moss, Welker aspect and that is exactly what I mean.

We have oue "Moss" in Roddy and other role players. Coffman provides that ability to catch a ton of balls and make people cover him.

Again yes, the argument will go nowhere. But think Gresham is a first round guy compared to Coffman in the second.

So the question is, would you rather have Gresham in the 1st or Coffman in the 2nd??

Comment

• Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
      Im just making the argument for his receiving abilities. We cannot compare him as a junior b/c they both are coming out this year.

Yes, you can. It's just that Gresham has the talent and production to come out as a junior and still be a high pick. Had Coffman came out as a junior he probably would have been a third or fourth round pick.

You make a great point about the Moss, Welker aspect and that is exactly what I mean.

We have oue "Moss" in Roddy and other role players. Coffman provides that ability to catch a ton of balls and make people cover him.

But the thing is that Gresham has the ability to make the underneath receptions and be a check down all while being a big play threat. He can do it all.

Again yes, the argument will go nowhere. But think Gresham is a first round guy compared to Coffman in the second.

So the question is, would you rather have Gresham in the 1st or Coffman in the 2nd??
      As for that last question, these are players I would take over Gresham at this point.

Micheal Oher
      Eugene Monroe
      Andre Smith
      Michael Crabtree
      Malcolm Jenkins
      Vontae Davis
      Brian Orakpo
      Taylor Mays

So I think pretty highly of Gresham. Of course players at non positions of need (QB, RB, etc) will also push some of the mentioned players down. So it really depends on who is available. Right now I'd say I would take Gresham in round one over Coffman in round two, because I don't see any of the players I mentioned being available.
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

As for that last question, these are players I would take over Gresham at this point.

Micheal Oher
        Eugene Monroe
        Andre Smith
        Michael Crabtree
        Malcolm Jenkins
        Vontae Davis
        Brian Orakpo
        Taylor Mays

So I think pretty highly of Gresham. Of course players at non positions of need (QB, RB, etc) will also push some of the mentioned players down. So it really depends on who is available. Right now I'd say I would take Gresham in round one over Coffman in round two, because I don't see any of the players I mentioned being available.
        Willy Mo??

Comment

• Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
          Willy Mo??
          Not a big fan. I probably should be considering his size, speed, and production, but I'm not. Something I don't like. Probably that everytime I watch Mizzou against top competition they give up a ton of passing yards and big plays. 42 gave up against Illinois, 56 to Texas, 28 to Baylor, lots of yards to Nebraska and Oklahoma State.

IDK. I just got a lot better feel for Taylor Mays.
          Virginia Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Libid21 View Post
            I believe you can switch whoever has the radio in the defense. I don't think we're keeping Brooking in because of the "radio in his helmet". I think we're not benching Brooking because he's a team captain, and like Bosanac said, he brings a lot of experience and leadership in that huddle on D.

I do believe Nicholas deserves a chance to start sometime this season. He has shown how good he can be when put on the field on the right situations. When he's on the field, our linebacking corp. is a lot faster and quicker.

As far as the draft goes, Aaron Curry will be an impact player in the NFL. I wouldn't mind if we drafted him in the first round we would still have Nicholas, but all I know is... if we drafted Aaron Curry, he would bring so much more to the table than Nicholas ever would. Stephen Nicholas is one of those linebackers that make the tackles they're supposed to make, covers the zone they're assigned to cover, etc... but that's just it. He's not really a playmaker. He's often just a one-dimensional linebacker who's more suited to play Boley's position than the weak side linebacker IMHO. He brings depth to this team, but I think we can do a lot better in addressing the outside linebacker position this offseason than sticking Nicholas in there.

Has McClure looked bad? I think our entire offensive line is doing much better than people expected. McClure has been very good this year. He came in this year around 290 lbs., but has packed on at least ten or so pounds. He's wrestling defensive tackles down to the ground that are much heavier than he is. He's a zone blocking center playing in a power-oriented blocking scheme. I'm impressed with how he's playing.

The thing with McClure is his age. It's not that there are no 31 year-old centers that are good in the NFL, but I think the center position is a position where we have some things going for us because in the draft, we can pick someone up that will be able to learn behind McClure for the next year or so. I now believe that the center position is a need, but not an immediate need.
            Ive watched two games that Wake-Forest played and Curry really is a beast the guys is always around the ball. Nicholas is okay but Curry will be a elite player.

Comment

We won't pick an outside linebacker in round one unless the value is incredible. 4-3 outside linebackers are the easiest position to find.
              i would gladly select aaron curry in round 1. he might go before we pick (to the saints perhaps) but id love to have him. he would immediately replace keith brooking at WLB and i think he would be a tremendous upgrade in that regard.

however a couple other guys i like are brandon spikes (in the 20's range) and marcus freeman in the mid 2nd. if we find a guy we really like in round 1 (assuming we dont get curry) id love to get freeman in the 2nd to play WLB. i have to scout him to see how he is in coverage, but i love his versatility, tackling and production.

Comment

• I have heard a lot about Aaron Curry. Someone give me a scouting report on him (please?). I am really opposed to drafting a LB in round 1, but I have heard some good things about him.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                  I have heard a lot about Aaron Curry. Someone give me a scouting report on him (please?). I am really opposed to drafting a LB in round 1, but I have heard some good things about him.
                  Well he plays in the ACC, but he is a force. A lot of people compare him to what Boley was last season. Always around the ball and will be a great pro.

Unlike Mauluga and Laurinitis who very well may bust, Curry is a solid player and is surefire. Great in coverage b/c of speed and a great wrap up tackler.

Id love this guy if we didnt have much more pressing needs. Yes Brooking sucks and needs to be replaced, but Nicholas is going to get his chance before we go after a first round LB, unless value is there and we are picking a lot lower than we expect.

Also, it will depend on if we re-sign Boley or not. If Boley is gone then we most def. will need an OLB.

Comment

• 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM #1
                    dunagan15
                    Veteran

Falcons 2008 schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlanta Flacons.com

DETROIT 1:00 p.m. FOX (7-9)
                    at Tampa Bay 4:05 p.m. FOX (9-7)
                    KANSAS CITY 1:00 p.m. CBS (4-12)
                    at Carolina 1:00 p.m. FOX (7-9)
                    at Green Bay 1:00 p.m. FOX (13-3)
                    CHICAGO 1:00 p.m. FOX (7-9)
                    BYE WEEK
                    at Philadelphia 1:00 p.m. FOX (8-8)
                    at Oakland 4:15 p.m. FOX (4-12)
                    NEW ORLEANS 1:00 p.m. FOX (7-9)
                    DENVER 1:00 p.m. CBS (7-9)
                    CAROLINA 1:00 p.m. FOX * (7-9)
                    at San Diego 4:05 p.m. FOX * (11-5)
                    at New Orleans 1:00 p.m. FOX * (7-9)
                    TAMPA BAY 1:00 p.m. FOX * (9-7)
                    at Minnesota 1:00 p.m. FOX * (8-8)
                    ST. LOUIS 1:00 p.m. FOX * (3-13)

How do you guys like the schedule,based on the 2007 records the teams we play this year combined for a record of 95-113(only counting TB, NO, Car once). I think this schedule is in our favor on playing 2 real powerhouses (SD and Green Bay, which i feel will not have the same success as last year but still a good team) so based on this I think the falcons can realistically pull out an 8-8 season and possibly 10-6 at best if we get a few of those close games to go our way.

How spot on were those thoughts. Ha thought it was pretty interesting.

Comment

• Updated needs (in order)
                      NT - No real long term solutions there right now
                      SS- Milloy is old and no long term solutions under him
                      TE- No real pass catchers in there right now BUT our current guys are servicable
                      C- McClure is old and no long term solutions under him
                      OLB - with Nicolas, Lofton and Boley as the starters need to add some depth with good size to go with a very small Robert James
                      RT/RG- Need a Carl Nicks type player. A mauler with experience at both RG and RT to keep Dahl and Clabo from slacking off.

Right now im fairly happy with our WR's CB's and DE rotations
                      Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

• posted this in the gameday thread, thought it was better here...

Couldnt agree w/ you more, b/c Willy Mo IMO is better suited as a SS in the NFL where as Taylor Mays is a FS. After today, its looking like we will be able to draft whom ever falls to us, wheter that is Moore or someone else. Im excited for the draft, it always helps when you see those question mark positions looking well as the season goes on.

After today, I think the main thing to be adressed is an OLB (I love Nicholas, but if Curry falls Id take him). Playmakin safety for sure. A stud DT (none this year). Depth at DE, especially another pass rusher just like Abe. (orakpo will be gone, hardy too).
                        OL depth, whether it is Center, T, or gaurd. Gotta build depth as this season has shown.

Comment

• Considering that Milloy and Coleman play very similar roles, I still like Mays.
                          Virginia Tech.

Comment

• If he comes out I like Jared Cook from South Carolina as a TE. He would probley be gone by our 2nd round pick though.

Comment

• I'm warming to the idea of Gresham in the 1st. It's not often that a TE comes along that is a good enough blocker to fit in our run-first offense, but also is going to win the vast majority of one-on-one matchups.

With the addition of Gresham, our offense would just be ridiculous. Ryan, Turner, Norwood, White, Jenkins, Douglas, Gresham. That's a lot of weapons (and maybe Robinson will add himself to that list). Stick that behind a good O-line, and we're rolling. White now demands a double team pretty much every play, which means that Gresham and everyone else would have to be in single coverage. That's going to lead to a lot of points.

Also, our key holes in defense can possibly be fixed in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We need a safety, that's pretty certain, but I really like the options in the 2nd, especially Rashad Johnson. (If Moore or Mays are available in the first, they'd be great, but I don't think they will be). Also, we should be able to get a pure run-stuffer in the 2nd or 3rd - Raji etc. Also, now that Fox, Houston and Jackson are all stepping up, CB shouldn't be a need.

A pretty good draft would go like this:

1. Gresham TE
                              2. R. Johnson FS (Coleman would play SS)
                              3. BJ Raji DT
                              4. Eric Wood C
                              TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

• I really like Raji a lot as well, not a big fan of Rashad Johnson though.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information