Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't be upset with Oher or Smith because they are great talents. I just love Crabtree, and I really don't see why we'd move a guy who's a pure LT after one season. This coming after we spent a first rounder on him.
    I'm a big Crabtree fan(have seen since he was wrecking shop on the scout team his RS year) but suppsodly he is a 4.5 40 guy with average at best top end speed. Guys like that don't get drafted in the top 10. Especially when guys like Darrius Heyward-Bey has sub 4.3 speed at 6'3" 205.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
      I'm a big Crabtree fan(have seen since he was wrecking shop on the scout team his RS year) but suppsodly he is a 4.5 40 guy with average at best top end speed. Guys like that don't get drafted in the top 10. Especially when guys like Darrius Heyward-Bey has sub 4.3 speed at 6'3" 205.
      Just to make a point, Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.5 and went top 3. I don't think Crabtree is on his level, but speed isn't all prohibitive. Mike Williams ran a 4.5 and went 10th overall. Many people were expecting Calvin Johnson to run in the low 4.4/high 4.5 realm and still projected him as a top 5 pick.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        Just to make a point, Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.5 and went top 3. I don't think Crabtree is on his level, but speed isn't all prohibitive. Mike Williams ran a 4.5 and went 10th overall. Many people were expecting Calvin Johnson to run in the low 4.4/high 4.5 realm and still projected him as a top 5 pick.
        Well when Crabtree grows to be 6'5" 230 I'll give him the top 10 hype that Johnson and Mike Williams got

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
          Well when Crabtree grows to be 6'5" 230 I'll give him the top 10 hype that Johnson and Mike Williams got
          I mostly agree, but the NFL is wide receiver starved. I'm not sure I see a dominant wideout in Crabtree, but he certainly does the little things you look for from a top notch wideout.

          If Larry Fitzgerald can come off a hugely productive year in which he made a ton of amazing catches, come in at the combine at 6-3 220+ and run a 4.63, and wind up going top 3, then I think Crabtree, coming off a hugely productive year, coming into the combine at 6-3 205 (or so) and running somewhere in the 4.5 range, could go top 15 easily.

          There are many more physically impressive wideouts, but no other name you toss is nearly as productive or does the little thing as well.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
            I mostly agree, but the NFL is wide receiver starved. I'm not sure I see a dominant wideout in Crabtree, but he certainly does the little things you look for from a top notch wideout.

            If Larry Fitzgerald can come off a hugely productive year in which he made a ton of amazing catches, come in at the combine at 6-3 220+ and run a 4.63, and wind up going top 3, then I think Crabtree, coming off a hugely productive year, coming into the combine at 6-3 205 (or so) and running somewhere in the 4.5 range, could go top 15 easily.

            There are many more physically impressive wideouts, but no other name you toss is nearly as productive or does the little thing as well.
            You know who else did all the little things well? Earl Bennett and look where he ended up. Ultimately, as much as I like Michael Crabtree, his stock is ultra inflated by the ridiculous numbers he put up in the Air Raid offense

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
              You know who else did all the little things well? Earl Bennett and look where he ended up. Ultimately, as much as I like Michael Crabtree, his stock is ultra inflated by the ridiculous numbers he put up in the Air Raid offense
              Of course it is. I have a hard time saying that's a bad thing though. No other wide receiver in next year's draft is going to have anywhere near the amount of valuable film that Crabtree will have. That Texas Tech offense runs enough different sorts of routes to get a great handle on the kid's ability.

              Of course he gets more attention because of his production. That's how it should be. The real question is if his stock will hold when scouts get to pour over the wealth of footage. Personally, I like his chances.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                Of course it is. I have a hard time saying that's a bad thing though. No other wide receiver in next year's draft is going to have anywhere near the amount of valuable film that Crabtree will have. That Texas Tech offense runs enough different sorts of routes to get a great handle on the kid's ability.

                Of course he gets more attention because of his production. That's how it should be. The real question is if his stock will hold when scouts get to pour over the wealth of footage. Personally, I like his chances.
                Personally I see Heyward-Bey and Percy Harvin as having higher draft stock.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                  Personally I see Heyward-Bey and Percy Harvin as having higher draft stock.
                  I might buy Harvin, but Florida is going to have to start using him as a real receiver for that to happen. As for Heyward-Bey, he's not a particularly fluid athlete, nor has he produced anywhere near where he should be. He's going to have to seriously step it up to even have a shot at the first round.

                  Personally, after Crabtree, I'm eyeing these two fellows...



                  Of course, we'd have to see Maclin come out early, but with all that talent due to depart that Missouri offense, it could happen. And Aaron Kelly is a big fellow with solid hands and very nice body control.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                    You know who else did all the little things well? Earl Bennett and look where he ended up. Ultimately, as much as I like Michael Crabtree, his stock is ultra inflated by the ridiculous numbers he put up in the Air Raid offense

                    Not only that, but I think he compares very similarly to Larry Fitzgerald. That's a big reason why I like him so much and could see him going top 5.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                      Least important position on the field? Ok. Look at how much a great WR can open up a offense, espically considering we have a new QB and a running attack. I'd say a great WR is much more important then a RT is. I'd be even more appalled if we traded up for a guy who's only good at pass-protecting to move him to RT.
                      it's the least important spot on the field. Baker is looking like a true LT in minicamps. so we would look at NT. WR is the LEAST IMPORTANT POSITION on the field because no matter how much a good WR opens up the offense, the #2 WR (because Roddy is our #1) is the LEAST important one on the field. a #2 WR is only supposed to be the compliment to the #1 and help the pass game. and since we have a #1 who drew double teams all last year I don't think we need a WR in ANY way shape of form. what we need is a NT, RT (which is worth a 1st round pick, but not top 5, but I think we pick around 10-15) and CB. I think it's much more likely we go after Malcolm Jenkins to be our #1 CB than take any WR or OT.


                      lol Paranoid, Aaron is a friend of mine from HS. He's good and will be a good pro. but I don't think he will be more than a 3rd rounder.

                      Owner of ScarDraft
                      Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        5 players in next years draft

                        hey, my names mark and i am brand new to the forum. im a huge falcons fan and would like to say hello to my fellow falcons.

                        back to the question.... if you could have 5 people from the 2009 draft who would it be? i know its early but its just for fun.

                        mine would be....
                        Michael Oher- LT
                        Al Woods- DT
                        Vontae Davis- CB
                        Duke Robinson- OG
                        Myron Rolle- S

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Why would we take Malcolm Jenkins in a cover 2 scheme?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            cause he's physical and can stick with receivers and seems like hte kind of CB who can play in any scheme.

                            Owner of ScarDraft
                            Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by scar988 View Post
                              cause he's physical and can stick with receivers and seems like hte kind of CB who can play in any scheme.
                              Picking a cover 2 corner in the top 10 isn't good value wise. Plus we have Houston and Jackson.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                he would give us versatility to run multitude of schemes. not just cover 2.

                                Owner of ScarDraft
                                Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information