No announcement yet.

2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless our (very promising) WR corps totally bombs this year, I really don't think that taking a WR, even Crabtree, with our first pick is an efficient use of resources.

I also would be reluctant to take a corner in the top 10, for the same reason, efficiency - in our scheme, CBs are not highly valued, and we would be better served addressing the lines.

Simply, I want either a DT or OL in the first next year.

My ideal scenario for next year:

1. A 7-9 season, garnering us the 10th pick.
    2. Good signs from Ryan and Baker.
    3. Main cause of 7-9 season being the failure to stop the run, and general inexperience.

I would then address DT and RT with our first two picks, in either order.

I don't think that #10 would be too high to take a RT, if we do happen to get Oher, Smith etc.

Taking a tackle in the top 5, on the other hand, would tend to suggest that we'd need to put him at LT, and figure out what to do with Baker (by the way, I don't think that Baker is too soft to play RG or RT...).
    TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Originally posted by D-Rod View Post
      Unless our (very promising) WR corps totally bombs this year, I really don't think that taking a WR, even Crabtree, with our first pick is an efficient use of resources.

I also would be reluctant to take a corner in the top 10, for the same reason, efficiency - in our scheme, CBs are not highly valued, and we would be better served addressing the lines.

Simply, I want either a DT or OL in the first next year.

My ideal scenario for next year:

1. A 7-9 season, garnering us the 10th pick.
      2. Good signs from Ryan and Baker.
      3. Main cause of 7-9 season being the failure to stop the run, and general inexperience.

I would then address DT and RT with our first two picks, in either order.

I don't think that #10 would be too high to take a RT, if we do happen to get Oher, Smith etc.

Taking a tackle in the top 5, on the other hand, would tend to suggest that we'd need to put him at LT, and figure out what to do with Baker (by the way, I don't think that Baker is too soft to play RG or RT...).
      DT even though 2007 first round pick Jamaal Anderson is now a DT? Personally I think you all are in desperate need of a DE if that move is permanent. I'm thinking Greg Hardy could be a monster and worthy of a top 10 pick.

Comment

Is Anderson going to be a fulltime DT or a Tuck like DE/DT tweener? Playing DE on first and second down and moving inside for pass rushing downs?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
          Is Anderson going to be a fulltime DT or a Tuck like DE/DT tweener? Playing DE on first and second down and moving inside for pass rushing downs?

Nothing is official yet other then he will see some snaps at DT.

Comment

Let me clear up some things. When I say we need to pick Oher, I mean as of now. I think we should all be able to agree that Oher is the best talent of the 09 draft, or at least top3. I am not saying that a year from now we need to be picking him. I am just trying to stir up conversation for the offseason.

As for the WR issue, Crabtree is going to have to post up some good combine numbers and do well in the drills and such to be considered on the level as Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Larry was extremely productive and had EVERYTHING but top end speed. He had great acceleration, great hands, great routes, great personality, great YAC. Crabtree doesnt have anything on Fitz in those categories except for YAC. I really like Crabtree once he has the ball in his hands.

Instead of Malcolm Jenkins, I wish we would look at Vontae Davis. Drafting him and moving to a more man to man heavy scheme would be amazing. I personally think we are wasting alot of Houston's potential at CB with running so much zone. Houston has the tools to stick to a man like no other. Add Davis to the mix and our secondary should be set. Malcolm Jenkins would be a good pick between 5-10 if we end up picking there, but still, ATL is right. Picking a cover 2 CB that high is a waste of value.

Jamaal Anderson has to lose weight. Either way you look at it, he needs to lose weight for DE or UT. I dont think he can play NT. Coming out of college, he was kind of similar to Justin Tuck (Tuck - 6'5" 274, Anderson - 6'6" 280) so he might be able to play a similar role. I think their combine numbers were similar too...Anderson I think might have been quicker in the combine actually. But if his move is full time, then we can definitely pick a DE with ease.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Anderson will play Justin Tuck's role for us.
              Run down DL:
              LE - Anderson
              NT - Rashad Moore/Trey Lewis
              UT - Babineaux/Moorehead
              RE - Abraham

Pass down DL
              LE - Abraham
              NT - Babineaux
              UT - Anderson
              RE - Davis/Biermann

and I agree with D-Rod. if we're at 10 next year this HAS to be our draft:

1 - NT Al Woods (I think he explodes)
              2 - RT Phil Loadholt

Owner of ScarDraft
              Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Oh. If a DT establishes himself as good value at our spot, then we obviously have to go there.

Depending on Biermann's success this season, I think we might want to look at a small undersized pass rusher for passing downs.

I hope Anderson can succeed in a Tuck role.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post

As for the WR issue, Crabtree is going to have to post up some good combine numbers and do well in the drills and such to be considered on the level as Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Larry was extremely productive and had EVERYTHING but top end speed. He had great acceleration, great hands, great routes, great personality, great YAC. Crabtree doesnt have anything on Fitz in those categories except for YAC. I really like Crabtree once he has the ball in his hands.

Just watch Crabtree a few times this year. His stats will be amazing just because of that offense. I see him as a 4.5-4.55 type, but he's got very good acceleration, great hands, and is a YAC machine like no other. He's going to be a very similar prospect to Fitz.

Comment

Yea, i completely agree, the best thing about Houston coming out last year was that he could completely shut down a player in man to man. That is a waste, and especially entering a scheme when TALL and physical corners with ONLY decent speed are needed.

I really thought of Sam Baker as a Guard in the NFL, but he could possibly make it. Oher would be a great pick but i dont think that its needed.

i really cant tell you when these players will be drafted because the season hasnt even started. I pretty much think DE should be your first pick.

DE-

Tyson Jackson- somehow he is available, this has to be the pick, pass rushers are always needed and make your overall defense better.

if not ill go with another end, Michael Johnson from Georgia tech, he reminds me alot of Gaines Adams, and if he's anything like him you'll get a great pass rusher and a mediocre run supporter. Still would help out alot.

Gregg Hardy and George Selvie are pretty good all around DE's so either one if they come out would be a great help.

2. Second pick Safety or Corner or Widereciever

Id look safety first mainly because they are really deep. And if Malcolm Jenkins somehow falls off, he's the perfect pick. Him and Houston if he plays CB would be a great young man to man duo.

As far as reciever, there are alot of good underclassmen, but your recieving group as a whole is decent, if you want that impact guy you will have to get him early.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                      Just watch Crabtree a few times this year. His stats will be amazing just because of that offense. I see him as a 4.5-4.55 type, but he's got very good acceleration, great hands, and is a YAC machine like no other. He's going to be a very similar prospect to Fitz.
                      I am going to hold you to this. Fitz is a pretty amazing Pro and was a great prospect. Crabtree is going to have to do alot to establish himself like that. I can see him topping Fitz in acceleration and YAC (cause Crabtree is a YAC beast), but nothing else.

I dont think we go DE unless Anderson is moved to a full time UT/DT role.

Comment

Nothing is official yet other then he will see some snaps at DT.
                        That's different from what people on here have been saying and sounds like a great idea. Anderson will be a stud if he get's his ass in gear and letting him rush from the inside will let him use his physical gifts better on passing downs.

Comment

I think if you guys work on continuing to rebuild the Oline, then add a massive NT and situational pass rusher later on you'll be looking good. Defensive secondary is a big weakness right now but I'm a huge Houston fan and if you guys can upgrayedd the Dline I think you should go man to man and attack, Houston will hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                            I am going to hold you to this. Fitz is a pretty amazing Pro and was a great prospect. Crabtree is going to have to do alot to establish himself like that. I can see him topping Fitz in acceleration and YAC (cause Crabtree is a YAC beast), but nothing else.

I dont think we go DE unless Anderson is moved to a full time UT/DT role.

The big thing Fitz has on him is those insane catches he would make. Can't really hold that against Crabtree however. And I love Fitz, and Crabtree may not be as good.. but I think he will be very close.

Comment

Well, if ATL is in position to pick Oher, I say you have to pick him. Joe Thomas's impact was tremendous on CLE. I don't see Baker having that type of impact, but I do see Baker being a solid OL. Remember, Baker was worked out by some teams at all five positions. Hypothetically, if I were ATL HC/GM & were in position to pick Oher, I pick him. I then move Sam Baker to LG, and Blalock to RG. If there is no clear cut RT, I'de try to find a big mauler (like McNeil if he where a RT, Barry Richardson type) in round 3 or 4. That real not something that is out of question.
                              INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Least important position on the field? Ok. Look at how much a great WR can open up a offense, espically considering we have a new QB and a running attack. I'd say a great WR is much more important then a RT is. I'd be even more appalled if we traded up for a guy who's only good at pass-protecting to move him to RT.
                                All those weapons meant nothing in Cleveland until they got a LT...I think a TE is more important then a WR for ATL, Roddy is perfectly fine as a #1, if you have that I highly doubt you need a WR in the first 3 picks, thats overkill...Haven't you seen all these teams who pick skill positions first and they never amount to anything due to a bad O line? I think ATL's WR's are fine, better then alot of teams with alot of room to grow...If you want to add a guy, it certainly won't be top 3, I think Crabtree is just a dream, especially with losing another corner, having holes at RDE if Anderson moves, possibly NT, and along the line, with the weapons at WR a TE would help Matt Ryan alot more then somebody else outside.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information