Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
    the NCAA football season is just around the corner, i think we as falcons fans should look tightly at WR, TE, OL, DL (esp DT) this season.
    why? our WR's seem to actually be doing their job so far in the preseason.,

    Owner of ScarDraft
    Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by scar988 View Post
      really? you think we need to take a #2 WR with our first pick? that makes no sense financially or even addressing our needs. if we need to get Matt a weapon it's at TE, not WR. our WR's are good for us and Jenkins might even light it up and be the possession #2 we need. with Laurent and Douglas as slot and #4, we would have a very formidable WR group

      Why not? It's not like having 2 great wide outs has been unkind to the likes of Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, etc. Especially since Crabtree is the ideal WR for Ryan. And I don't think we are looking for playmaking TE. We passed on one in the draft, until Zinger who is a pure blocking TE. Hartsock is the same way. Travis Beckham is probably the best TE coming out, and he's nothing special as a blocker. If he's purely a receiving threat, it really doesn't matter if we go for a Crabtree or him.

      Comment


      • #78
        Jenkins is gone after this year. We will take a WR in the first few (three or so) rounds.
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

        Next Up: 2012

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
          Jenkins is gone after this year. We will take a WR in the first few (three or so) rounds.
          why wouldn't we just re-sing Jenkins who will likely be cheap.

          Owner of ScarDraft
          Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

          Comment


          • #80
            Because he drops balls for interceptions and will be overpayed after back to back 50 catch seasons.

            Just my opinion.
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

            Next Up: 2012

            Comment


            • #81
              what would be our biggest needs though 1. DT, 2. TE, 3. WR?

              Sig by: BK

              02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
              02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
              02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
              02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
              Originally posted by fenikz
              we all hate you

              Comment


              • #82
                1. DT
                2. DB
                3. OL
                4. TE
                5. DE

                Thats how I see it right now. DT is way above the others though.

                "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

                Comment


                • #83
                  Good list, although I may seperate DB into CB and S, we need both, and may sneak in WR.

                  We still have a lot of needs.
                  Virginia Tech.
                  ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                  Next Up: 2012

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                    1. DT
                    2. DB
                    3. OL
                    4. TE
                    5. DE

                    Thats how I see it right now. DT is way above the others though.

                    DE is not a need. Abe is good for a few more years. Cupcake boy's contract makes him basically unmovable, and I doubt we'd send him to the bench. Maybe some depth, but certainly not a starter.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      We need another pass rusher, starter or situational.

                      I wouldn't mind a Warren Sapp at defensive tackle, either.
                      Virginia Tech.
                      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                      Next Up: 2012

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                        We need another pass rusher, starter or situational.

                        I wouldn't mind a Warren Sapp at defensive tackle, either.

                        I agree completely. It really depends on Mike Smith. If he feels confident in moving Zero Penetration to DT full time, I'd be all over another pass rushing end. Or getting a DT like that. However, I don't think he will comitt to moving Jamaal. So, I think it would rule it out for our top pick. As for DT, the top gun looks like Fili Moala, and I'm not in love with him.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          I don't know about Moala, the thing everyone discounts in this is that Babs has never gotten to start full time, he led the NFL DTs in TFL...too many people over look that. Just like Rod Coleman used to know how to get into the backfield and terrorize QBs, we have ourselves a clone...except one that isn't crazy off the field. We also have Trey Lewis, I know he may never be the same...but then again he may be as well. So, I think we need to wait it out before we decide what our big needs are.

                          Personally I think Safety is going to be a position we either really need or really don't. If Coleman plays how he used to play, and if Decoud or Stone are erady to step up, there's no telling. I love the idea of Taylor Mays, Kam Chancellor, or Myron Rolle roving our secondary.

                          The way Chevis has played so far in the preseason makes me think we're going to have fine depth there. Grimes and Houston are boom or bust duo as well. But I'm sure that Grimes is going to be fine at this point. Chevis looks to be just fine. So, the CB 'need' is going to be based on Houston imo. If he steps up into the gap as well. Then the CB we will have need for, is the veteran type.

                          DT we'll need depth at for sure, but I'm thinking it will need to be more of a NT than pass rushing UT style DT.

                          DE will depend on Beirman and Anderson.

                          LB is going to need depth, because Brooking isn't going to last forever.

                          I like Nicholas, but we need to build our depth.

                          Basically you can see the theme here, we need to wait and see, and not just think we already know what our biggest problems are going to be.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                            I agree completely. It really depends on Mike Smith. If he feels confident in moving Zero Penetration to DT full time, I'd be all over another pass rushing end. Or getting a DT like that. However, I don't think he will comitt to moving Jamaal. So, I think it would rule it out for our top pick. As for DT, the top gun looks like Fili Moala, and I'm not in love with him.
                            Moala is very overrated at this point.
                            Virginia Tech.
                            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                            Next Up: 2012

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                              I don't know about Moala, the thing everyone discounts in this is that Babs has never gotten to start full time, he led the NFL DTs in TFL...too many people over look that. Just like Rod Coleman used to know how to get into the backfield and terrorize QBs, we have ourselves a clone...except one that isn't crazy off the field. We also have Trey Lewis, I know he may never be the same...but then again he may be as well. So, I think we need to wait it out before we decide what our big needs are.

                              Personally I think Safety is going to be a position we either really need or really don't. If Coleman plays how he used to play, and if Decoud or Stone are erady to step up, there's no telling. I love the idea of Taylor Mays, Kam Chancellor, or Myron Rolle roving our secondary.

                              The way Chevis has played so far in the preseason makes me think we're going to have fine depth there. Grimes and Houston are boom or bust duo as well. But I'm sure that Grimes is going to be fine at this point. Chevis looks to be just fine. So, the CB 'need' is going to be based on Houston imo. If he steps up into the gap as well. Then the CB we will have need for, is the veteran type.

                              DT we'll need depth at for sure, but I'm thinking it will need to be more of a NT than pass rushing UT style DT.

                              DE will depend on Beirman and Anderson.

                              LB is going to need depth, because Brooking isn't going to last forever.

                              I like Nicholas, but we need to build our depth.

                              Basically you can see the theme here, we need to wait and see, and not just think we already know what our biggest problems are going to be.
                              Basically, we dont have any needs, according to iloxy.

                              There are some glaring holes one defense for us, and I really want them filled. I forgot which year we had that terrible run defense, but god. That was disgusting. I wasnt even watching the games in real life. I used to watch gamecenter, and all it read was "Corey Dillon up the middle for 5 yards" every single time.

                              I want a dominant run defense. If we cannot stop the run, then theres no point. Teams will run all over us.

                              Babs is a good UT, and I think he will surprise some people. He played exceptionally well in limited situations last year and hopefully that can transfer over full time.

                              As for our top pick, no nose tackle has cemented themselves in yet, but we should definitely watch the college season for which guys will separate themselves from the pack with their gameplay. I bet it must have killed Mike Smith a tiny bit inside to see us pass on Glenn Dorsey. He will make that up, I guarantee it.

                              "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Honestly it's not too early to dicuss what we will need in next years draft, we knew last year at this time we would be getting a QB, OT and MLB early.

                                Sig by: BK

                                02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                                02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                                Originally posted by fenikz
                                we all hate you

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information