2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

We will probably be picking top 10 for sure. Most likely, top 3. If we do so, can anyone make an argument as to why we shouldnt pick Michael Oher?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

The only way I wouldn't take him is if Sam Baker surprises the world and plays really well.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
      We will probably be picking top 10 for sure. Most likely, top 3. If we do so, can anyone make an argument as to why we shouldnt pick Michael Oher?

Yes. Sam Baker. We traded up and gave up a pretty penny to get him. If he sucks or not, he will get more then one year. It would be simply stupid to give up that much in a trade for a RT. Or if we keep Oher at RT we'd be paying a RT more then big-time LT's get, which is once again stupid. And this is coming from a guy who loves Oher. I just don't see us moving Sam Baker that easy.

Comment

Guys, don't assume you're gettin the first overall pick. One of the arguments Jets fans had against drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson was that they weren't going to be any better that upcoming season, so they'd be able to draft Joe Thomas the next year.

Comment

I like Sam Baker a lot, and I think he's going to be a LOT better than people say...his arms just plain and simple are NOT that short. Sure they're not ideal, but no lineman in the draft has half the footwork of Baker. The Pac 10 is no longer a slouch conference, and look what happened when Baker dropped...not the QB...BAKER was the key to that, when he came back USC started winning again, when he was out, that was when they lost. JDB wasn't the issue, it was Baker.

That being said, Michael Oher would still be a great pickup.

Comment

He does have very short arms. That has caused problems for a lot of tackles over the years, like Robert Gallery. But some players like Matt Light have succeeded with short arms, although I do believe Light is a bit overrated.
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Lights terribly overrated in my opinion.

I know we traded up for Baker, but unless he does an excellent job at LT, I still think Oher is too much value at the top of the draft to pass up. Baker has great versatility and should be able to be plugged into guard or maybe even RT. This would leave us with a core of young players (Oher, Blalock, Baker) to anchor our line for Turner, Norwood, and Ryan.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Hope you don't mind me butting in as I saw the thread from the main forum. but, so much changes during the season, both college and NFL. How can say your team has to do anything? Oher could end up like Baker in a year, or the Falcons may pick up some UDFA or FA who is sick.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

We're probably going to find out the deal with Baker really soon, assuming he wins the LT job coming out of camp. His division foes at RDE are Will Smith, Gaines Adams, and Julius Peppers. As I see it, there's probably a good chance that one could make a decent decision on Baker's future at LT after one year, because he's either going to be suitable against that competition or not, and it isn't like he's considered a long term project or anything.

Comment

I'm with JBond on this one. There is no way to predict what kind of draft pick next year. For all we know our team could be the next worst to first story in the NFC South. Our front seven could turn out to be pretty dang good and everyone knows, you build from the inside out (cough Glen Dorsey). JK Matt Ryan, I'm jumping on your band wagon now that you are a Falcon.
                    Originally posted by BamaFalcon59
                    Open minded is eggs and hot sauce (trading down for Leodis McKelvin, something like that). Stupid is ketchup mixed with milk (that would be drafting Chris Long at three).

Comment

I understand that there are many things that will change, but I think as of now, Oher has to be at the top of the board right now.I didnt mean to say that his regardless of his stock and FA aquisitions or trades we have to pick him. I just think that right now, unless Baker does extremely well (I agree with Paranoid. He was a 4 year starter at USC and is very developed. Either he succeeds or he doesnt) Oher has to be number 1 on our boards, not a DT or DE or WR.

Comment

I'm not against him, but with the stud DTs coming out, I'm not sure how one of them couldn't be up there as well. I know Oher is the most prototypical LT the world has ever seen or whatever, but he hasn't done it on Sunday's yet, there's just no tellin.

Comment

It's way too early to speculate at this point.

Comment

Who cares. Its fun to speculate anyway.

Comment

I'm not sure how good a pick that would be, what would happen with Sam Baker? Move to left guard? It would be a waste to draft Oher with a high pick only to play him at right tackle, it's not like Matt Ryan is left-handed.

Better course of action would be the best defensive lineman on the board, maybe.
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information