Official 2009 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2009 NFL Draft Thread

Make this one official to talk about the selections, and not the process leading up to it.

24-DT Peria Jerry
    Last edited by ATLDirtyBirds; 04-25-2009, 06:05 PM.

The Atlanta Falcons select Peria Jerry.

Comment

I like the pick. Now Atlanta has a fierce 1-2 punch at UT. You can keep both him and Babineaux fresh and healthy.

Comment

Dumbass then. It's a ******* horrible pick. I hope this guys favorite tree is the pine. ******* garbage ass pick. ******* Everette Brown is on the board, our biggest ******* need.
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Why the hell did we not exhaust every possible option to try and get Dorsey? Instead, we now have a 25 year old DT who doesn't have much potential.

Comment

I got no problems with the pick, as DT was a bigger need the DE in my book. I trust TD

Comment

We got a guy who will never even ******* start.

He has a great ******* motor. Wow. I could pay my best friend millions of dollars and he'd have a great ******* motor.
              Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                We got a guy who will never even ******* start.

He has a great ******* motor. Wow. I could pay my best friend millions of dollars and he'd have a great ******* motor.

He's going to start. It's just the fact that we got a guy who is 25 years old, not very big, and maxed out that upsets me. I think he's going to be a solid player, but nothing special. I'm not sure why we'd want a one-gap penetrator only with durability concerns. **** me, why didn't we go harder after Dorsey? Or even trade down when Peria Jerry is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                  He's going to start. It's just the fact that we got a guy who is 25 years old, not very big, and maxed out that upsets me. I think he's going to be a solid player, but nothing special. I'm not sure why we'd want a one-gap penetrator only with durability concerns. **** me, why didn't we go harder after Dorsey? Or even trade down when Peria Jerry is the best option.
                  We just re-signed Babineaux. He won't start.

If he starts the ball will be run down our throat.
                  Virginia Tech.

Comment

We just re-signed Babineaux. He won't start.

If he starts the ball will be run down our throat.

There is no doubt he starts. This isn't Amobi Okoye. He's 25 years old, and our first round pick. No shot in hell we would draft a rotational player to backup our Iron Man of the DL with #24.

Comment

You know what Jerry would be great for? Pass rushing 3-4 DE on the opposite side of OLB John Abraham. Our pass rush becomes instantly credible, but not having Grady at NT would hurt us up the middle....and we'd need a couple big MLB's...one down in Lofton.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                        There is no doubt he starts. This isn't Amobi Okoye. He's 25 years old, and our first round pick. No shot in hell we would draft a rotational player to backup our Iron Man of the DL with #24.
                        Which is why I'm mad at the pick. I can't see him, or Babineaux, starting at nose tackle.

I would rather have selected Ron Brace.
                        Virginia Tech.

Comment

Which is why I'm mad at the pick. I can't see him, or Babineaux, starting at nose tackle.

I would rather have selected Ron Brace.
                          Physically, and in a needs based perspective, we obviously should have taken Brace if we were going to stick with the 4-3 defense. I smell a change coming. Most of the pieces are there, especially with Brooking out of the way....as much as it pains me to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by pr0d1gy View Post
                            Physically, and in a needs based perspective, we obviously should have taken Brace if we were going to stick with the 4-3 defense. I smell a change coming. Most of the pieces are there, especially with Brooking out of the way....as much as it pains me to say that.
                            Jerry is 6'2", Babineaux is 6'2". The defensive line would still be undersized.

I would have expected us to take Rey Rey Maualuga if we were moving to a 3-4.
                            Virginia Tech.

Comment

I like the pick.

Discussing whether he's going to "start" is narrow minded. We rotate our DTs heavily on a situational basis. Babineaux and Jerry are both going to get a lot of snaps, at the right times.

It does show that we are leaning on Trey Lewis to play plenty of snaps as well.

Also, our rotational strategy will negate Jerry's durability concerns.

Good pick, good value. And who gives a crap that he's 25? So what, we are paying him on a rookie salary during his peak years, that's actually better?

Not the perfect pick - I'd love it if he had 10 pounds extra - but good.

Also, impossible to say what it would have taken to get Dorsey. It sounds like we at least discussed it. Obviously the Chiefs wanted more than we were willing to give.
                              TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information