2011 Falcons Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit being wrong.

I never said the younger you are = how much you get better.

I said, we have guys going into the 2nd and 3rd years together as starters at the NFL level. That's going to help us improve right there alone, and we weren't a bad defense in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_dark_knight View Post
      Their secondary is older than dirt. It's their pass rush that was making them look good. Which we neutralized perfectly in the first meeting, just didn't do so well in the 2nd. Yes they have an elite offense, but our RB is better than theirs coming back from a major injury. I would take our WRs over theres ***IF*** Julio plays up to his potential. Obviously TG is going to the Hall, and Finley is no where close, but Finley is a major playmaker, going to be interesting how he does coming back from his injury as well. The OL was awful 2 years ago, and amazing last year with the same OL. Dunno if it was just the passage of time, but it could be back to busters this year.
      Sam shields (23), Tramon Williams (28), Davon House (rookie, highly regarded) those are the corners outside of Woodson. I don't see the Packers secondary as being old.Green Bay will be a thorn for quite awhile to teams challenging to make a Super Bowl run.The Falcons are still young in their development and need to add a few impact players on defense to be considered a threat every year for the crown.

Comment

• Our defense will definitely improve with experience. But the decline of one player, Abe, would neutralize the improvements of the others IMO.

And yes, many other teams are younger than us. However, most of our impact players, along with our defense, are young and played crucial roles on a 13-3 first seed. Most of those young teams were at the bottom of the league last season.
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• I'm not even a little bit afraid of Williams or Shields or House with Roddy Julio TG and Ryan. They don't scare me at all. The only players in their secondary that are imposing are Nick Collins and Charles Woodson. Woodson is about done too. Much like Al Harris' lighting fast fall from 'elite' to awful.

Comment

• You're insane...

Woodson was great for GB last year as a SS type player.
            Virginia Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
              You're insane...

Woodson was great for GB last year as a SS type player.
              Agreed.Woodson is one of the best in the game. I think the thing to worry about more is Dom Capers? defensive philosphy and his ability to not only disguise his defense but put pressure on the QB. Whatever the problem is with the Falcon's not being able to get Rodgers on the ground it needs to be fixed. Rodgers also is very mobile so defending him is extremely tough.

I have no doubt the Falcon's will add players but will it be enough to challenge whoever they meet in the playoffs if they make it? It's easy to see on paper how much better the team is but we don't know because of injuries, playing to potential what the outcome will be in 2012 although some give the Falcon's a playoff spot. I'd say the chances are excellent but just making the playoffs won't be good enough. The Falcon's must win and go deep in the playoffs to take the next step. Can they do it is the bigger question? Ryan must get alot better also since QB play is critical in playoff matchups.

Comment

• Thank you for further re-iterating my point. Woodson is going to drop off like a rock, just like Al Harris, who actually just disappeared in the middle of a season he just lost his game and couldn't play anymore. Woodson is approaching that, didn't say he already got there.

I know we're going to be able to throw in any weather now, because we finally have a WR who can snag a pass and make yards after the catch, Roddy has the ability but when you're doubled on every play it makes it tough, there's no reason that Jenkins and Douglas should have sucked so bad at this on short passes. But we also now have a RB who can bring the same thing to the screen game, something we lacked completely in our offense last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year... you get the point.

We are in a much better spot, far more dynamic offensively. We are getting back our young possession guy, and he showed a lot of promise, I just hope that knee doesn't linger on him like it seemed to do with Harry. We've also got a shot at our defense being improved in Free Agency.

I know everyone wants a DE (myself included) but I think first priority needs to be locking down Blaylock and Clabo so we can keep Ryan's OL in place, hopefully not have to change 3/5 of it in 1 year, hopefully keep that number down to just losing 1 OL and having only 1 new player step in. So that's going to be something to watch for sure.

Comment

• Not all players who transition positions drop off like a rock. That's flawed logic.
                  Virginia Tech.

Comment

• Bama, better rookie year as a falcon, w/o heavily looking at stats

Julio or Quizz

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                      Not all players who transition positions drop off like a rock. That's flawed logic.
                      Yes, because that's what I said. Re-read, then re-post.

Comment

• Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
                        Bama, better rookie year as a falcon, w/o heavily looking at stats

Julio or Quizz
                        I would answer it but I'm not bama.

We know Julio will play. It all comes down to how much quizz see's the field.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                        02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                        02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                        02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                        Originally posted by fenikz
                        we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                          I would answer it but I'm not bama.

We know Julio will play. It all comes down to how much quizz see's the field.
                          I really like Quizz's potential, I mean I really see him being Darren Sproles esque, obviously not the top end speed but the ability to catch and run and just provide alot of sparks for the offense and really be a game changer, I really dont know how he lasted till the 5th, I figured hed be a sure fire 3rd rounder, and only b/c of his size that hed fall there.

Im excited.

Comment

• Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
                            Bama, better rookie year as a falcon, w/o heavily looking at stats

Julio or Quizz
                            Julio.

He's just going to be on the field a lot more than Quizz, especially in year one. Julio is going to be on the field at nearly all times, and while I expect him to put up big numbers, he will also affect the game with his blocking and him being a threat to defenses downfield.

Quizz is going to be good for us and I love how he fits our grind it out style while adding a little twist, but he's still going to be the third back as far as snaps in year one IMO. Turner is still going to carry the load and Snelling will likely remain on the field for third downs due to his ability to block and catch. That's not to say Quizz won't eventually take that role over, but Snelling has been great for us in that reguard.
                            Virginia Tech.

Comment

• 1st Down: Turner
                              2nd Down: Snelling
                              3rd Down: Quizz

Problem Solved. Turner and Snelling should still see the field more since there are more 1st and 2nd downs. Let me coach this *****.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                              02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                              02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                              02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                              Originally posted by fenikz
                              we all hate you

Comment

• Turner is still going to be the first and second down guy and Snelling will get the most work on third and distance.

IMO Quizz comes in every few series for Turner and on packages where we maybe want the defense to account for the back out of the backfield more. Quizz can step in for Turner or Snelling to an extent, IMO.
                                Virginia Tech.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information