The Falcons need to add a quality pass catcher BAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
    I live about 4 miles from the Georgia Dome. I watch Falcons games. And I didn't say he was dominant; I said he was respectable. When you're #5 overall in team rushing attempts and you have a #1 WR who catches 1400 yards and a TE who catches 700 yards, how many plays do you think are left for your #2 WR? The Falcons didn't lose because of Michael Jenkins. Ryan was gun shy.

I'd like my number 2 not to be awful. And ever stop to think that maybe Roddy got all those catches in a balanced offense because the rest of the talent sucks?

No one is saying Michael Jenkins is the reason we lost the game, or that Matt played well. But to say he's gun shy because he didn't play as well as ARod (who had the game of his life) or some **** like that is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
      But to say he's gun shy because he didn't play as well as ARod (who had the game of his life) or some **** like that is silly.
      I don't know how else to describe a quarterback throwing 29 passes and only completing one of them for longer than 20 yards, ironically to Michael Jenkins. It's not just that Rodgers played well, it's that he played aggressively. He was willing to push things and Ryan wasn't.

Comment

I don't know how else to describe a quarterback throwing 29 passes and only completing one of them for longer than 20 yards, ironically to Michael Jenkins. It's not just that Rodgers played well, it's that he played aggressively. He was willing to push things and Ryan wasn't.

Gun shy would imply that he's just a check down artist.

Comment

A Rod wasn't really pushing things. He rarely through into tight coverage or risked much, most of his passes were to wide open targets. Matt Ryan didn't have that, and he also doesn't have the ability to avoid a sack other then throwing it away.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
          02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
          02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
          02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
          Originally posted by fenikz
          we all hate you

Comment

Gun shy would imply that he's just a check down artist.
            How else do you describe having one pass go for longer than 20 yards?

Comment

How else do you describe having one pass go for longer than 20 yards?
              It was mostly Matt Ryan being afraid to let it loose. But at the same time it was the defense. They had a huge lead and protected themselves from the deep ball.

we all hate you

Comment

Weren't the Falcons last in the league in plays over 20 yards for the whole season?

Comment

Weren't the Falcons last in the league in plays over 20 yards for the whole season?
                  Yes, but it was because that is what the offense as tailored for. You can't have an offense that ranks in the top 5 in time of possession and 3rd down conversions while having an explosive offense as well. We played a possession game throughout the whole season so the defense wouldn't get on the field; the Falcons defense ranked 16th in terms of yards given up but played the 4th fewest plays. Only 5 teams allowed more yards per play (Cowboys, Texans, Redskins, Broncos, and Jags). Great company.

Our defense is making improvements, but we still need more time to add talent.

On the offensive side of the ball, we have quality pass catchers/route runners in Tony Gonzalez and Michael Jenkins, but there is absolutely no stretching of the field. In today's NFL, you need to have quick receivers that can actually get open instead of hoping for a picture perfect throw, perfect route execution, or a hole in the zone - that is the problem with Jenkins and Gonzalez. Also, having an H-Back like McCoy or Chris Johnson would allow the defense to be a lot more honest.

A lot of the problem does lie with Matt Ryan though. Year in, year out, we expect his deep balls to get better but they never do. He still leaves a ton of air under them and we can't even take shots just to keep defenses honest (some of it is offensive philosophy). I guess we have to wait it out.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

I think he throws a deep jump ball fine. We just can't expect him to drop bombs like some of the stronger armed QBs. He's money in the mid range game. We need someone he can hit short/mid then can go make a play. Ala Percy Harvin.

Comment

You're just trolling right now. Read deangelos post. This is why I wish we got Josh McDaniels, so Ryan could shut people like you up. This is just the way our offense is built.

edit: just went through some of his posts and discovered he is a Bucs fan. everyone is now explained.

Comment

Originally posted by Draft King View Post
                        Read deangelos post.
                        Sounds like exactly what I said.
                        Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                        A lot of the problem does lie with Matt Ryan though. Year in, year out, we expect his deep balls to get better but they never do. He still leaves a ton of air under them and we can't even take shots just to keep defenses honest (some of it is offensive philosophy). I guess we have to wait it out.

Comment

Sounds like exactly what I said.
                          Who the **** are you arguing with?

No one is saying Michael Jenkins is the reason we lost the game, or that Matt played well. .
                          Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                          It was mostly Matt Ryan being afraid to let it loose.
                          Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                          A lot of the problem does lie with Matt Ryan though.

Stop ******* trolling. He's not the greatest ******* QB in the league, we are aware of that, but we don't need a new QB. He came back so many times this year and won many games for us on the last drive. Stop looking at stats because that doesn't define Matt Ryan's game.

we all hate you

Comment

I'm not going to get into a dumb argument about Matt Ryan. He's played three years in the league. He's obviously going to be the starting QB for the Falcons next year. Plenty of good QBs in NFL history have had to continue developing beyond year 3. Only an idiot would argue that the Falcons need to make a change at QB.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to think Torrey Smith is a very similar player to Roddy White, and therefore and bad fit for the Falcons. I would argue that might make him a great fit. White and Ryan obviously have good chemistry. Maybe the ideal fit is someone who is different from White, but being similar to White doesn't mean defenses with be able to cover both of the them with one CB.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information