The Calvin Johnson debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Calvin Johnson debate

i dunno if im doin the right thing here or not, i just thought it might be an idea to start one thread where we (and other teams fans) talk about the possibilities FOR and AGAIST trading up for Calvin Johnson.

Im 100% against it and it may seem ironic me starting a thread about it but this site is the best place to discuss the falcons as AFMB is full of "anti-vick", "pro-shaub" (NOT ANYMORE *EVIL LAUGH*) and more recently "trade the entire draft away for Calvin" posters. Sense the move to #8 i feel more and more people will suspect/hope for a move and i would like to be able to talk/speculate about our draft in other threads without CJ trades constantly coming up which i fear it will (see AFMB).

So yeh im a NO vote simply because of our major needs in other areas and the fact that Hue Jackson should be able to work his magic with our wide recievers.

Preach on!
    Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff; 03-22-2007, 04:26 AM.
    Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

* The speculation about Atlanta dealing up for Calvin Johnson has already begun and while they now certainly have the ammo to get that type of deal done it would cost a king's ransom. In fact, to get up to #2 overall the Falcons would likely have to part with their 1st rounder, both 2nd rounders and their 3rd rounder. Is CJ worth it? Maybe. Do I see them paying that kind of price to move up for him? Nope. However it's now at least a possibility so let the rumors swirl. ------ from Scott Wright's blog
    Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

This might need to be a sticky it's going to get heated all the way up to the draft and afterwards. I'll come back with my thoughts a little later.
      Originally posted by BamaFalcon59
      Open minded is eggs and hot sauce (trading down for Leodis McKelvin, something like that). Stupid is ketchup mixed with milk (that would be drafting Chris Long at three).

Comment

Good idea to have a thread about it.

I used to think that it was ridiculous, but I've considered the ammo we now have, and there is a scenario which would work, without us "selling the draft":

Taking CJ is unlikely, but possible if he falls to No.3.

The Browns would probably still get AD at #8, so they'd definitely be interested, at the right price.

I could live with this:

Browns get #8, #39, and Texans 2nd next year (we have two now anyway) (total value = 2330)

Falcons get #3, and #99 (total value = 2304) [I'd even settle without the extra 4th, since we already have three!, which would put the value at 2200]

That looks like too little, but it works value-wise, and there's no reason the Browns wouldn't want to move to #8.

We would then have #3, #44, #75, FOUR 4th rounders, a 5th, 6th and 7th. Not exactly selling the draft, eh? Basically, we'd have got #3 for #10 and Schaub.

Of course, then: if the first two picks were the Qbs, I'd actually have a hard time choosing between CJ and Joe Thomas...
        TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

The problem would then be that we need immediate starters at FS and LDE (unless, somehow, Davis or Crocker step up to the plate...).

I'd take CJ or Crowder in the 2nd, and then potentially use 4th rounders as ammo to move up to grab the last startable safety, like Weddle, at the end of the 2nd.

Comment

I am also agianst the trade as we have to many holes to fill. The only way I would be up for it is if we can trade with the bucs. That way we would only have to give up a second round pick.

Comment

I would almost rather trade down with NE if they are wishing to trade up. We get #24 and #28 and they get #8. Adds up perfectly on the chart too.

In the first we then take Chris Houston and Michael Griffin (merriweather), then in the 2nd we take Blaylock and Charles Johnson. Rest of the draft can fall where it may. We address all of our needs and after the 2nd, can begin building on depth.

Comment

I don't want to drop down to # 24 unless we cna package those picks and move backup to the middle of round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                  I don't want to drop down to # 24 unless we cna package those picks and move backup to the middle of round 1.
                  Who is so great at the middle of the round that won't be there towards the end at a position of need of ours? S, DE, OL, WR (Like it or not)

Comment

I am also agianst the trade as we have to many holes to fill. The only way I would be up for it is if we can trade with the bucs. That way we would only have to give up a second round pick.
                    bucs would never trade with us.

if JW moves to FS, then trading down to 24 and 28 suddenly makes a lot more sense.

We could get Staley at #24, Houston/Revis/Ross at #28, Charles Johnson at #39, and Blalock at #44. Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Rod View Post
                      bucs would never trade with us.

if JW moves to FS, then trading down to 24 and 28 suddenly makes a lot more sense.

We could get Staley at #24, Houston/Revis/Ross at #28, Charles Johnson at #39, and Blalock at #44. Sweet.
                      Pretty much what I said. If Jwill moved to safety and was effective, we could have a scary secondary. I still think we should take a safety of some type in those first 4 picks (if we trade down) Griffin would be a nice prospect to groom behind Milloy and he can play CB if things get sticky with injuries and such.

Comment

The more I think about it, that wouldn't be to bad to trade with the patriots. We could fill all of our needs in the first 2 rounds. We would still then use the rest of the draft for depth and BPA.

Comment

Do we already have 3 4th round picks or is it 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Vickissick07 View Post
                            Do we already have 3 4th round picks or is it 2?

we have 2 in the 4th

Comment

we have 2 in the 4th
                              Wouldn't it be nice to have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information