Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravens analyst that made me and I'm sure ERU smile :D

"What to look for in 2007

McNair isn't a top-20 fantasy quarterback option anymore, and truthfully he might not even be top 25. The fact that he emerged unscathed from 2006 is a minor miracle, one I don't expect to see repeated in '07. He's injury prone to a max degree, and even when he's playing, he's usually limping around. McNair is also exceedingly gun shy when it comes to taking chances. Sure, he'll throw it deep when his guy looks wide open, but he dumps off a ton of passes (see also: AFC Divisional Round loss to Indy), as his meager 6.5 yards per attempt illustrates. Granted, Heap is a nice, big, safe weapon, and Mason is a possession guy McNair trusts. But Clayton is ready to be a big-time player, and McNair doesn't always seem willing to use him deep.

At running back, exit Lewis, enter McGahee. By almost any measure, McGahee represents at least a mild upgrade. He's two years younger, has less tread on his tires (he's entering his fourth full season; Lewis' first was 2000), doesn't have Lewis' past legal troubles, and would appear to have more explosiveness left in his legs. Yet McGahee wasn't all that much better in Buffalo last year than Lewis was in Baltimore: He rushed for 990 yards in 14 games, logged 3.8 yards per carry, and scored just six times. Granted, the Bills' offensive line was worse than the Ravens', but still, those aren't numbers that back up McGahee's infamous claim that he's the best running back in football (this just in: he isn't). As I mentioned earlier, Baltimore's running game struggles were probably more Lewis than Ogden and Co., but I'm not positive McGahee cures all ills. He's a top-20 fantasy back, but barely.

At receiver, anyone who's still got Mason ahead of Clayton on their fantasy cheat sheet still thinks the Macarena is a real hoot. Mason is the possession receiver on this team; he's got spectacular hands and runs good routes, but at age 33 his speed is diminished and he's no longer the playmaker you remember from his days with McNair in Tennessee. He might be the lead receiver on this team in name, but he's not big enough to be a real red-zone threat, and he won't stretch the field. He's a top-50 wideout, but his days as a fantasy starter are gone. The guy to know here is Clayton. Entering his third year as an NFL wide receiver, the University of Oklahoma product showed flashes of brilliance in '06, with five catches of 40 yards or more, which is pretty good for the close-to-the-vest Ravens. On a different team, with a better quarterback, Clayton would be a fantasy star. As it is, he's still going to post 1,000 yards receiving, but because Baltimore isn't going to air it out much, it's hard to imagine him scoring more than five or six touchdowns. Heap is the primary red-zone aerial target (Clayton was targeted 13 times in the red zone last year, and caught just one TD on those throws), and bigger guys like Williams and Wilcox (and maybe Moore and Devard Darling) are apt to be on the receiving end of short touchdown passes. In fantasy leagues that add points for longer scores, though, Clayton bumps up to a top-20 receiver.

Then there's Heap. He's shaken the injury-prone label, having turned in consecutive seasons of 75 and 73 receptions, is good for around 800 receiving yards each season, and will score six or seven times. That puts him in the elite class of tight ends, as does the fact that the Ravens just love to throw to his position; in '06, tight ends accounted for just under 30 percent of the team's total receptions. McNair hasn't become any less of a dump-off artist in the offseason, which means Heap is a top-five option.

Finally, there's the defense, which is always one of the most-hyped in the NFL. This unit recovered nicely from an injury-plagued '05 to limit its 2006 opponents to 10 points or fewer seven times, and never gave up more than 26 points. The Ravens collected 60 sacks, second-best in the league, and picked off a whopping 28 passes, tops in the NFL (including five for touchdowns). Newly acquired Trevor Pryce had 13 sacks and was great, and rookie Haloti Ngata plugged the middle admirably. The departure of Adalius Thomas to New England hurts, but there are still great stars here: Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott, to name a few. If guys like Lewis and Reed stay healthy, this easily is a top-five fantasy defense once again."

Paraphrased from here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...ory?id=2918717

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
    On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
    Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Did the talk of Clayton, Mason, McGahee, Heap and the defense make you smile? Or was it the fact that this writer doesn't think Mcnair is a top 20 fantasy QB? Not that I don't agree with the writer, but he's talking about the fantasy impact which has absolutely nothing to do with the games being played.

Comment

Originally posted by Troj2man View Post
      Did the talk of Clayton, Mason, McGahee, Heap and the defense make you smile? Or was it the fact that this writer doesn't think Mcnair is a top 20 fantasy QB? Not that I don't agree with the writer, but he's talking about the fantasy impact which has absolutely nothing to do with the games being played.
      Fantasy impact does have to do with the games being played, where do you think the fantasy numbers are taken from? Of course the talk of the old man McNair made me smile just as the talk of McGahee not being as good as people think he is.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
        Fantasy impact does have to do with the games being played, where do you think the fantasy numbers are taken from? Of course the talk of the old man McNair made me smile just as the talk of McGahee not being as good as people think he is.
        I'm talking about the game on the field. Wether or not a QB is rated in the top 20 fantasy QB's has nothing to do with what a team does on the field. I agree with you about McGahee not being as good as some think he is.

Comment

I'm talking about the game on the field. Wether or not a QB is rated in the top 20 fantasy QB's has nothing to do with what a team does on the field. I agree with you about McGahee not being as good as some think he is.
          Read the first paragraph about McNair, you know the part about being injury prone, even when he's playing he seems to be limping, the part about him being gun shy, not using the deep ball, all those things will hurt his numbers in fantasy and the team in the win column. Thats why fantasy numbers are relevant to on the field production and wins.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
            Read the first paragraph about McNair, you know the part about being injury prone, even when he's playing he seems to be limping, the part about him being gun shy, not using the deep ball, all those things will hurt his numbers in fantasy and the team in the win column. Thats why fantasy numbers are relevant to on the field production and wins.
            You mean how having Mcnair hurt us in the win column last year? You know the best record this franchise has ever had. Fantasy rankings and scores have no bearing on what a team does on the field. I'll take a QB that is not a top 20 fantasy QB and the best record in franchise history any day of the week.

Comment

Haha this guy is right on the money, McNair is injury prone and sucks and can't throw down the field, McGahee is barely an upgrade if at all, and Clayton is the man, however he neglected to mention that D Will is the second best WR on the team.
              HALL OF FAMER!
              PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
              JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

The McNair fans are not claiming he can run a vertical offense like Bollers arm can, we just dont wanna bench the QB that brought us to our best record we have ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                  The McNair fans are not claiming he can run a vertical offense like Bollers arm can, we just dont wanna bench the QB that brought us to our best record we have ever had.
                  While having statiscally the best defense in the NFL and maybe in our history statistically speaking, so I dont give McNair credit for that.
                  HALL OF FAMER!
                  PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
                  JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
                    While having statistically the best defense in the NFL and maybe in our history statistically speaking, so I don't give McNair credit for that.
                    Once again brother you are right on the money!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
                      While having statiscally the best defense in the NFL and maybe in our history statistically speaking, so I dont give McNair credit for that.
                      Just wondering, would you still give the defense all the credit if Boller was at QB? Mcnair had a part in all those wins we had. He may not have thrown for 400 yards and 5 td's every game, but he did have a big part in all those wins.

And who says that Boller can evern run a vertical offense? The guy has a cannon for an arm, but his accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. The vertical passing game doesn't work if your QB can't throw an accurate ball.
                      Last edited by Troj2man; 06-27-2007, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Boller had that D also. He also had Mason Heap and Clayton in the passing game his final year and before that a decent Jamal Lewis. McNair in his 1st year in this system brought us to the best record we ever had and put up better stats then Boller.

Comment

Just wondering, would you still give the defense all the credit if Boller was at QB? Mcnair had a part in all those wins we had. He may not have thrown for 400 yards and 5 td's every game, but he did have a big part in all those wins.

And who says that Boller can evern run a vertical offense? The guy has a cannon for an arm, but his accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. The vertical passing game doesn't work if your QB can't throw an accurate ball.
                          I mean vertical offenses would love Bollers arm strength

Comment

Boller had that D also. He also had Mason Heap and Clayton in the passing game his final year and before that a decent Jamal Lewis. McNair in his 1st year in this system brought us to the best record we ever had and put up better stats then Boller.
                            Decent Jamal Lewis in 05???? I'm not even going to dignify that ridiculous comment. Lets see Mason and Heap weren't as effective due to the lack of a running game and an offensive line that gave up 40+ sacks to Kyle (as opposed to 16 to McNair) not to mention the fact that Clayton was a rookie and no where near effective as he is now.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

I mean vertical offenses would love Bollers arm strength
                              Yeah I know what you meant. I wasn't questioning your thinking, just asking a question in general.

Like we both have said: Steve Mcnair is the QB who helped to lead this team to it's best record ever! You can look at the numbers and try to discredit it all you want. In the end the guy was a major factor in helping this team to it's best record.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information