No announcement yet.

Ravens' 2008 Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I was kinda hoping the Ravens would snag Henderson, too. I wouldn't have expected him to be left so late.

Maybe they think he'll be available for their last pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by SKim172 View Post
      Yeah, I was kinda hoping the Ravens would snag Henderson, too. I wouldn't have expected him to be left so late.

One can only hope.
      HALL OF FAMER!
      PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
      JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

• WOW...Allen Patrick over Erin Henderson.

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

• Allen Patrick?

I guess, he's not a bad runner.

But was he really necessary?

Comment

• Wow an unbelievably horrible pick to finish up a pretty terrible draft for us........thats fitting. Erin Henderson still on the board.
            HALL OF FAMER!
            PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
            JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

• 1) Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware = B
              - Potential in him, hopefully we don't throw him into the water and let him learn a little first.

2) Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers = B-
              - Could be a good combo with Willis. He'll take a load off, so Willis will have time to rest.

3) Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami = A
              - I personally love the pick. I'm convinced that Gooden is the next great U linebacker and learning under Ray will only help.

3b) Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame = B
              - Good solid pick. Will be a great back-up for Dawan and Ed. He's an upgrade over Jamaine Winborne without a doubt.

3c) Oniel Cousins, OT, UTEP = B-
              - Add quality depths to the line. Might be able to challenge for the starting spot, but I doubt he wins.

4) Marcus Smith, WR, New Mexico = B
              - Replaces DeVard Darling. He's not afraid of going down the middle and gives us some more depth.

4b) David Hale, OT, Weber St = C+
              - Another more depth. But I think that someone like Carl Nicks would have been a better choice. But I'm not complaining.

4c) Fabian Washington, CB, Oakland Raiders = A
              - Great pick. People thought he would warrant a 2nd or 3rd. He'll step in right away at the nickel spot and might even challenge Samari for the starting spot.

6) Haruki Nakamura, S, Cinncinati = C+
              - Adds another good back-up that can replace Jamine Winborn.

7) Justin Harper, WR, V-Tech = C+
              - Adds a big red-zone target. Has some potential that can be brought out.

7b) Allen Patrick, RB, Oklahoma = C-
              - Adds more depth. He's a really aggressive type of runner and has potential on special teams. Not really a need though, would have preferred Erin Henderson there.

Free-Agents Worth Looking At
              - Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland
              - Darrell Robertson, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech
              - Ali Highsmith, LB, LSU
              - Wesley Woodyard, LB, Kentucky
              - Darnell Terrell, CB, Mizzou
              - Tommy Blake, LB, TCU
              - Andre Crummey, G, Maryland
              - Drew Radovich, G, USC
              - Eric Young, G, Tennessee

Overall = B+
              Last edited by Yung Flippa; 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• ok, time for me to weigh in...first, let me say, i hate the flacco pick. i thinkive made that clear. i thought it was terrible to be honest. maybe thats just me, u gusy all seem fine with it.

however, i can live with ray rice. i liek the gooden pick, and LOVE the zbikowski pick (i called that one a long time ago, i knew he was a raven all along :)) hes my boy. oniel cousins? would have rather had king there, to be honest i think hell be something special. i love the fabian trade, it was a great call by ozzie but i would have liked to have seen us draft another CB im jsut not comfortable with our depth.

a guy i am upset we missed out on is dre moore. he was there in the 4th and i really think it would have been good for us to take him hed be a good fit in our D iwth his versaitility. he reminds me of a younger pryce.

overall, i guess it was ok. im not happy about the flaccco pick at all and ill need to see alot frmo him before i am ok with it. overall, right now, draft grade is a C. C+ with teh fabian trade.
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• My feelings on the draft.

1) Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware = C+
                  -I pretty much made my feelings clear before. I'm not overjoyed, but I'm not upset. Flacco wasn't the 18th player on my board, but I did feel he had established himself as a first round talent. And I'm happy that the FO went out and said this is our guy, and they went out and did what it took to get him. This isn't what I would have done but I'm on board with the pick.

2) Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers = B+
                  -Really nice pick. I felt that running back was one of our top 3 needs going into this draft due to the uncertainty behind Willis. Cam Cameron may now have a similar running back situation to what he had in San Diego.

3) Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami = A
                  -Probably my favorite pick of the draft. Gooden was one of my favorite prospects in the draft and I felt he was a second round talent. He reminds me alot of former Miami teammate Jon Beason. An athletic guy who plays even faster than he times, and can also play inside or out. He should provide good depth at the very least and could be an eventual starter for us.

3b) Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame = C
                  When I first heard about this pick, I absolutely hated it, because Zbikowski has been one of the more overrated safeties in college football for the past few years. But then I thought more about it and realized that this pick was probably more for special teams purposes than defensive purposes, and I love how he fits the team in that regard. I'm still not a huge fan, because this was a tad bit of a reach, but I've warmed up to it and I'm excited to see what Zbi can do.

3c) Oniel Cousins, OT, UTEP = B
                  -Not a sexy pick but a really nice one. Has the ability to play guard as well as tackle. Reminds me a lot of the Marshal Yanda pick last year, and he could end up having a nice impact like Yanda did. He'll provide some really nice depth and I like how he fits.

4) Marcus Smith, WR, New Mexico = C+
                  -Ok pick. Good size and a solid replacement for Darling, though I though Lavelle Hawkins would have been a really nice value.

4b) David Hale, OT, Weber St = D+
                  -Not a fan. With Hale being from Weber State I honestly cannot say I whole lot about this guy but to me I don't feel we needed to go offensive line again this soon. Maybe with our 6th or 7th round pick, but not here, and it's hard for me to believe that this guy was that much better than a tackle we could have gotten in those rounds.

4c) Fabian Washington, CB, Oakland Raiders = A
                  - You gotta love what the Ravens did in getting Washington. We had to come away from this draft with some sort of impact corner, and while we didn't draft one, we traded for one. I love the value of only giving up a 4th rounder for him and he will make an instant impact. There were only 4 or 5 corners in this draft that I felt would make instant impacts, so I'm pretty happy.

6) Haruki Nakamura, S, Cinncinati = C-
                  -Like the Hale pick, I can't say I know alot about Nakamura, but I'm not sure about taking a safety. I would have liked to see us go defensive line here.

7) Justin Harper, WR, V-Tech = B
                  -We may not be seeing him on the 53 man roster, but this is a nice pick because at the very least he will push guys like Matt Willis and Marcus Smith to get better. Intriguing player with his size.

7b) Allen Patrick, RB, Oklahoma = C-
                  -I guess it's solid value, as Patrick is a talented player. But I really don't like taking a back here. I was fine with going into the season with McGahee, Rice, and Ross at the position. I guess this is a bit like the Harper pick though, as at the least Patrick should push Ross. If Patrick can beat out Cory for the 3rd running back spot, then this pick looks alot better.

Overall this is a draft where we went out a got a guy who we feel can be a franchise quarterback for us, and I like that, even if Flacco wasn't the best value. After that we basically just stockpiled depth, which isn't always the most popular thing amongst fans, but it's something that should be very beneficial for us, because our depth has sucked the past few seasons and it's shown when our guys have gone down with injuries.

NOTE: It is absolutely ridiculous that Erin Henderson didn't get draft. Normally I would be saying 'I really wish we got Henderson here, how could we pass', but with the rest of the NFL passing on him and the depth we have at linebacker I really can't hold it against them. But I really cannot believe he's a UDFA. To me he's one of the prospects in this draft that I felt is a sure thing. Whoever picks him up is going to be happy.
                  Last edited by dcarey20; 04-27-2008, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• I personally give the draft a C-...this wasn't really much of a need draft as much as it was Cam and John just wanted some new blood to train.. they must think that they can make the playoffs with the talent they have or something. I think the '09 draft will be a much better one, since by then the talent we have will be truly evaluated by our coaches, and better picks will be made.

You know, after this draft, I wonder if Billick was actually the guy behind a lot of the picks in the draft, because I doubt..HIGHLY..that this draft would have happened the way it did if he were still at HC.

Comment

• I personally had Flacco as my #1 QB and even said the Ravens should take him with the 8th pick if they truly believe in him. Question the competition and slight footwork problems, but he can make all the throws better than any QB in this draft, including Ryan.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by SKim172 View Post
                        Yeah, I was kinda hoping the Ravens would snag Henderson, too. I wouldn't have expected him to be left so late.

Henderson needed another year in College... he is undersized to play LB he needs to put on 10-15lbs or move to SS..

I wasn't upset other than we didnt address the DL at all.

I was hoping we would draft a DE at some point to make an Impact, I am very happy about our 3rd round though...

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                          ok, time for me to weigh in...first, let me say, i hate the flacco pick. i thinkive made that clear. i thought it was terrible to be honest. maybe thats just me, u gusy all seem fine with it.

however, i can live with ray rice. i liek the gooden pick, and LOVE the zbikowski pick (i called that one a long time ago, i knew he was a raven all along :)) hes my boy. oniel cousins? would have rather had king there, to be honest i think hell be something special. i love the fabian trade, it was a great call by ozzie but i would have liked to have seen us draft another CB im jsut not comfortable with our depth.

a guy i am upset we missed out on is dre moore. he was there in the 4th and i really think it would have been good for us to take him hed be a good fit in our D iwth his versaitility. he reminds me of a younger pryce.

overall, i guess it was ok. im not happy about the flaccco pick at all and ill need to see alot frmo him before i am ok with it. overall, right now, draft grade is a C. C+ with teh fabian trade.
                          I would rate us a solid B

I think we go the QB we wanted and can work in Cam's system, we got a thunder to McGhee's lightning with Rice, Gooden I think can be special at OLB for us, Washington was a bust as a 1st rd selection but he was in Oakland and a breath of fresh air might do him some good, Oneil is a good athlete for the OL. I am not overly happy about the WR's we took but at least we addressed that we need to get some impact players there.

That is one position that needs to be addressed before we are going to win a Super Bowl is WR. Mason is getting old, and Clayton is a great #2 WR. D-Will if he doesn't break out this year and make a splash (50-60 rec 800-900 yds 6-8 TD's) from a "big play" threat. Its time to start looking for a #3 WR next year. I wouldnt be opposed to trading a #1 next year to Cincy for Chad Johnson, we need an impact WR and we will have the Cap room next season with Boller and JO both coming off the books.

Comment

• Well, Erin Henderson is off the board, he signed with the Vikings.

Comment

• This was a solid draft, we got a QB for the future, u need 2 RBs in the NFL and Rice will be solid, we got a solid special teamer and potentially a starter i Zibikowski, traded for a good CB in Washington, got T depth, 2 solid WR projects. This draft was alright and isnt as bad as ERU acts like it.

Comment

• ..Did Tommy Blake get picked up yet? If not, I want him in Baltimore..
                                ..I thought we had a decent draft although we should've drafted some D-Line and a TE.
                                ..I love Fabian Washington and think he'll grow to be a star here in Baltimore after learning from Rolle and McAllister.

Haruki Nakamura is my homeboy so im glad we got him as well.

WishList: Tommy Blake, James McClinton and Joey Haynos.

Go Celtics
                                Go Irish
                                Go Ravens

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information