First 2 Draft Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hound View Post
    Taking WR's in the first two rounds is not a good idea at all. Although Clayton and Mason are most likely gone, you will still have DWill and Kelley Washington. The FO will sign a WR for sure (Jason Avant or Floyd hopefully) and realistically could make a trade (Boldin or Marshall hopefully).

How do you figure we need a RG at all? Grubbs is a pro bowler on the left side and since Yanda has stepped in at RG he has performed as good as ANYONE in the League. They need to get him signed long term. And although I dont want to see Chester start, he still provides good depth.
    If you are trading for Boldin or Marshall it's for your first day picks. I think last years draft class showed the financial and longterm advantages of taking a WR in the first round with guys like Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, etc. Look at the Giants. Everyone was panicked about getting a big name yet now they saved future draft picks and money instead of going after someone like Braylon and now have a future #1 WR in Nicks and saw some of their young talent develop(Smith, Manningham). I think even if Mason retires if you pair Golden Tate with Demetrius Williams, Kelly Washington, and a FA signing you are good at WR.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
    Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by coordinator0 View Post
      Actually we might not still have D-Will and Washington. Both are also UFA after this season (not sure how the uncapped year affects that though). Besides, we can't really rely on either of them anyways. Williams has been our best receiver at getting separation when he's in, but it hasn't translated into a whole lot of production. Washington has been pretty good at getting first downs, but Flacco doesn't seem to look his way often (nor do we use many 3 WR sets). I expect both of them back (at least Washington), but it doesn't make me feel any better about our WR situation.
      They are RFA's assuming an uncapped season. I think I worded my first response wrong, I didnt mean you dont take a WR in the first two rounds, I meant you dont take WR's with both your first and second round picks. I wouldnt want to see Williams or Washington start (although Id like to see DWill get more time) but I think they have got to get a WR via free agency or trade. And yes, I realize that to get Boldin or Marshall will cost a first day pick, But I dont think it will take a first round pick like most people think. These guys want out of there respective situations, and I think there teams are going to be forced to take less than market value IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Hound View Post
        Taking WR's in the first two rounds is not a good idea at all. Although Clayton and Mason are most likely gone, you will still have DWill and Kelley Washington. The FO will sign a WR for sure (Jason Avant or Floyd hopefully) and realistically could make a trade (Boldin or Marshall hopefully).

How do you figure we need a RG at all? Grubbs is a pro bowler on the left side and since Yanda has stepped in at RG he has performed as good as ANYONE in the League. They need to get him signed long term. And although I dont want to see Chester start, he still provides good depth.
        First off what does Grubbs have to do with the RG position? Then I'd say Yanda has been very good and I like him, bu he isn't under a long-term contract and if he keep performing this way he is gonna want a big one. At some point we may have to make a choice between Grubbs and Yanda, who do you think we keep? Grubbs IMO, so we need to get a young guy in hee who is under contract for a few years at a cheap rate to be able to keep Grubbs, and Gaither on their huge new deals both will want. As for Chester I'm not high on him at all I don't even like referring to him as good depth, he is slightly below average at best. We need to start stock piling some actual depth at all OL positions, not just RG but to me RG is the most glaring of nees for a future at it.
        HALL OF FAMER!
        PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
        JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Chester's a good blocking TE :/.

Comment

Yanda is a RFA at the end of the year. He hasnt done enough to warrant a big contract yet. I say they will lock him up at a decent deal this offseason.

But ya, if Im choosing between Yanda or Grubbs. Good thing about Grubbs though is that we got him under contract for two more years. (ufa in 2012)

Comment

I would like us to add George Selvie in the 2nd Rd. He seems to fit our mold and would be a perfect person to improve our pass rush.

In the 1st I would like to see us either trade it for Boldin or try and move up somehow to get Dez Bryant. I don't see Golden Tate being the guy we need, I see him being another Mark Clayton.

Comment

Selvie isn't very good at all. He got shut down by NFL-caliber talent in college and his only good year was his sophomore one. I highly doubt that he'd be able to improve our pass rush at all.

Comment

Round 1) Terrence Cody DT Alabama
                  Round 2) Donovan Warren CB Michigan

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd like to see us switch back to a 4-3. I feel like our personnel fits much better in that scheme. Suggs had a great start to his career while playing with his hand in the dirt. Pryce also had his best year in 2006, 4-3 was our base defense, getting 13 sacks.

IMO, Kruger, McClain, and Barnes also all fit better as 4-3 ends. In addition Gooden and Ellerbe played all 3 LB positions in college.

I've seen the scouting reports about how Terrence Cody can only play in a 3-4, but I don't agree. Pair him with Ngata and you have the a replica of Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa. We have guys like Gregg and Bannan to use in a rotation before Cody establishes himself.

Warren has the potential to be a shut down corner. Playing for several different coaching staffs combined with Michigan falling off the national radar takes away from Warren's luster. He has a comparable style to Darrell Revis with his physical play, and has very fluid hips.

Get these two and the defense is restored to a perrenial dominant power in this league.

Comment

I wouldnt mind d-line help at all. IDC if its a rusher or a DT. who knows but I see us trying to going to a 43, Harbaugh is a 43 guy. I can see our front 7 looking like this in 3 years....

DE-Suggs
                    DT-Ngata
                    DT-Edwards
                    DE-Kruger
                    WLB-Gooden
                    MLB-Ellerbe
                    SLB-draft pick

I could see Ellerbe being SLB, I could also see Edwards being thrown out of starting 4 a draft pick.

just throwing a name out there, how about Riley Cooper WR from Florida.

Comment

Don't fix it if it's not broken.
                      Why switch a defense thats been doing work in a 3-4?
                      Ngata is perfect for a 3-4, as is Terrell Suggs.

PS Drafting Terrence Cody in the 1st round would be the stupidest ******* thing ever

Go Celtics
                      Go Irish
                      Go Ravens

Comment

I agree I want a34 as well but it looks like we will transition to a 43. ALso Cody at NT and Ngata at DE would be nasty but I dont see it happening

Comment

I would be pretty upset if we drafted Terrence Cody over a WR

Comment

I think we will target that TE from Oklahoma I forget his exact name but knowing how we have been looking at a TE for the past couple years nad he is a talented guy who may be at our late 1st pick due to his injury I see us targeting him.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarey20 View Post
                              I would be pretty upset if we drafted Terrence Cody over a WR
                              To be honest I am not even interested in drafting a first round WR. I want to go in FA and trade for someone. I think we are good enough to win a championship with an already proven deep threat. I don't want to wait a couple years to develop a guy. By then Ray Lewis and Reed could be gone. I say trade for a WR and draft a pass rusher.
                              Originally posted by SunTzu_22
                              Just let it go RWO.
                              We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

Originally posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
                                To be honest I am not even interested in drafting a first round WR. I want to go in FA and trade for someone. I think we are good enough to win a championship with an already proven deep threat. I don't want to wait a couple years to develop a guy. By then Ray Lewis and Reed could be gone. I say trade for a WR and draft a pass rusher.
                                I agree. The way I look at it, Mason and Washington will be back. In addition Marcus Smith will be on the team as he is young and is a great special teamer. Therefore, sign one wideout in FA land draft a guy in the 3rd/4th.

My only problem with a drafting a pass rusher in the first couple of rounds is where do you play him? We have two starters in Johnson and Suggs, and you have Kruger and Barnes getting increased playing time towards the end of the season.

Drafting a big DT basically allows you to play with essentially 2 NT. Cody and Ngata draw double teams and therefore you have an offensive tackle on one d-end, and a tight end on the other d-end. This is exactly what the 2000 defense did and it leaves running backs on blitzing linebackers.
                                Last edited by 53 for 60; 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information