This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coordinator0 View Post
    He wasn't tagged but they tendered him at the 1st and 3rd round pick level. If that holds up there's no way we're getting him. I think they'll shell out the cash for him anyways, he's pretty much the only "pure" pass-rushing end they have. He's a prototypical fit for DE in Schwartz's system.
    Never mind you're right. For some reason I thought they had chose not to tender him. Scratch him off the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoRavens View Post
      Torrey Smith is a fantastic person and an even better player.
      Great speed, really elusive, sure hands, and fine routes, he's going to be awesome. A+ Pick.
      Trading up for Jah Reid confused me. I feel like he would've been there when it was our pick. Anyways, he's massive, aggressive and versatile. A real power run blocker. He can play RT, but he can also move inside to guard.
      - I'm upset Nate Irving got drafted by Denver, everytime I really want a player they get drafted by someone else -_- (EJ Henderson too)
      Anywho, here's my needs for the rest of the draft.
      1) OLB - Sam Acho/Chris Carter/Jeremy Beal
      2) ILB - Brian Duncan/Greg Jones
      3) RB - Jordan Todman/Taiwan Jones/Kendall Hunter
      eh Reid is 6-7" with an extremely small and weak lower body, I think he's a pure RT, will either succeed or fail at that position and I don't see a ton of versatility for other positions. I don't like his knee bend and lower body strength as mentioned above but he has a very strong upper body and uses his arms well. I think he'll struggle with stronger pass rushers but he should be a decent player. I don't think he's an immediate starter though.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• thats what puzzled me w/ the pick originally. We need a RT week VS especially against PITT. We dont need a project

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
          eh Reid is 6-7" with an extremely small and weak lower body, I think he's a pure RT, will either succeed or fail at that position and I don't see a ton of versatility for other positions. I don't like his knee bend and lower body strength as mentioned above but he has a very strong upper body and uses his arms well. I think he'll struggle with stronger pass rushers but he should be a decent player. I don't think he's an immediate starter though.
          I don't know, Reid's lower body doesn't look all that small or weak to me. He's definitely a RT only prospect but that's not a bad thing if we drafted him with the intent to start at that position. Harbaugh referenced his ability to bend multiple times during the 2nd/3rd round press conference so I'm not sure where you're getting his inability not to either. If we don't keep Gaither and we want to move Yanda back inside what other option do we have at RT? We could bring in a free agent but I don't think this is a strong class for the position.

Comment

• You're right, I doubt the front office would trade up in the 3rd round for someone they thought would be a developmental guy. We already have that guy in Harewood.

Obviously they believe he can start day 1, I guess we will all just have to wait and see but I think the best news out of this is that Yanda is likely to go back to guard, where he is MUCH better suited.
            Last edited by BmoreBlackByrdz; 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• yea either way we will be in a tight spot. Either Chester will be at right guard, or a developmental rookie will be at RT vs. the steelers

Comment

• There's free agency a couple guys out there like Jamaal Brown and Ryan Harris.

Comment

There's free agency a couple guys out there like Jamaal Brown and Ryan Harris.
                  But signing either of those guys would likely relegate our third round pick to only a backup spot (aka a waste of a pick), not something I think we're going to do. If the salary cap remains somewhat the same after the new CBA is agreed to I doubt we'll have much spare room after we re-sign our own free agents, especially if we want to add another pass-rusher as well.

Comment

• I'm a big Jah Reid fan so maybe I'm a little biased but I'd feel comfortable with him starting from the get go. It would certainly be baptism by fire week one against Lamarr Woodley but his skill set is well suited for a guy like Woodley (I'm sure the FO had that in mind when they drafted him) I feel confident that he can be counted on as the season goes along and as we head into the playoffs. Week one will be rough there no matter who's lined up at RT (unless its Yanda).
                    Last edited by TACKLE; 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by coordinator0 View Post
                      But signing either of those guys would likely relegate our third round pick to only a backup spot (aka a waste of a pick), not something I think we're going to do. If the salary cap remains somewhat the same after the new CBA is agreed to I doubt we'll have much spare room after we re-sign our own free agents, especially if we want to add another pass-rusher as well.
                      A super bowl contender should not be relying on a rookie to be a starter. Ravens traded up for Jah Reid because he is a big project and because he has a ton of potential. He's simply not ready. When he faced a step up in competition at the East West shrine game he was up and down often getting absolutely abused. His frame and arms though leave him with a ton of potential. Really in the 3rd round there were no OT's absolutely ready to start. Barksdale the next OT drafted is an even bigger prospect. Reid has a ton of potential so I don't know why you'd say that it would be a wasted pick if he didn't start.

Comment

A super bowl contender should not be relying on a rookie to be a starter. Ravens traded up for Jah Reid because he is a big project and because he has a ton of potential. He's simply not ready. When he faced a step up in competition at the East West shrine game he was up and down often getting absolutely abused. His frame and arms though leave him with a ton of potential. Really in the 3rd round there were no OT's absolutely ready to start. Barksdale the next OT drafted is an even bigger prospect. Reid has a ton of potential so I don't know why you'd say that it would be a wasted pick if he didn't start.
                        It's a wasted pick if we sit him on the bench for the duration of his rookie contract, which is what would likely happened if we sign either Brown or Harris (or any other starting caliber tackle that isn't too old). A year or two to develop is fine, but sitting him longer than that isn't a good move with a third round pick. From Barksdale is a bigger project but I don't see how he impacts our intentions for Reid. If the rookie is good enough to start he should, and I think Reid is going to be the best option we have at RT. I guess we have different options on his readiness and that's fine.

Comment

• What are you all's opinion on Chykie Brown?

Comment

• Originally posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
                            What are you all's opinion on Chykie Brown?
                            Incredible physical tools, more impressive phyiscal tools than teammates Curtis Brown and Aaron Williams. He is a good in press coverage, pretty physical and uses his hands well. He has good speed and quickness. His technique is raw as anything though, also he has bad ball skills and can never locate the ball. He has been flat out embarassed at times but at times he's also looked like a earlier round pick. He's a nice project.

Comment

• Originally posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
                              What are you all's opinion on Chykie Brown?
                              He gets beat all the time. He has been hyped up here at UT for so long and never turned into a big time player. He has some tools though. Good height, decent speed, extremely long arms.

Comment

• He's a great blitzer. I just wouldn't trust him in coverage beyond 15 yards.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information