This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravens 1991,

I agree it just angers me how people throw the term "franchise qb" loosely.

Comment

• Ok I gotcha, yeah Joe Flacco isnt a true "elite QB" on the level of Manning Brees etc. But he has proven to be a good starting QB after his rookie year and this past year.

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenMadness View Post
        Poise and Potential? Yup. Your right. All those duck fart interceptions and fumbles showed some excellent poise.

While you make a valid argument about many of those QB's sitting on the bench, I just don't see the skill set that Flacco has ever matching those guys. If he improves then I will be happy, heck we won a superbowl with Trent Dilfer...The bottom line is Flacco is no franchise QB. At the most their is 4 and Flacco is not one of them and if the Ravens want too be a dominant team Flacco is going to have too improve.

I'll give Flacco another year...I just won't be surprised if he doesn't take a giant step.
        Those "duck fart interceptions and fumbles" are a result of him transferring from a Division II school to NFL starter in a very short period of time. Now that its his 3rd year and hes been fully acclimated into both the NFL and the offense, lets see what the kid can do.

As far as your critique of his skills, I was very similar minded when we drafted him. That said, hes 6'6 with one of the strongest arms in the NFL and decent mobility for his size. If anyone can make the best out of that, its Cam Cameron. I think he has everything it takes to be a franchise QB, the only thing I think he is lacking is the moxxy and the leadership skills which define really great QB's, but even then those come with time and trust in teammates.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Ravens 1991,

I agree it just angers me how people throw the term "franchise qb" loosely.
          I think it angers you because of your personal definition of the term.

Flacco is our "franchise QB" whether you like it or not. Meaning that he is the clear cut starter at the position for now and the foreseeable future. The offense is being built around him and his skill set, not to mention he's the leader on that side of the ball.

For you to bash him and what he has done in is short career is mind boggling. You put QB's above him in your ratings that haven't accomplished the things that he's done? You don't give him credit for hardly a thing and deflect the credit to everyone on the team but him. He can't lead a team from behind, did you watch the game in Minnesota? He didn't miss the kick but he damn sure kept us in the game, drove us back in the game and put us in position to win. What more do you want?

Here's a small sample of QB's you consider above Flacco and their first 2 years

Peyton 9 fumbles, 4 lost 43 ints

Brady 23 fumbles, 8 lost 26 ints

McNabb 15 fumbles, 10 lost 20 ints

Palmer 7 fumbles, 4 lost 30 ints (sat his first season)

Then you can add the guys who sat at least 2 years before starting

Rodgers 20 fumbles, 7 lost 20ints

Rivers 19 fumbles, 8 lost 24 ints

Romo 19 fumbles, 5 lost 32 ints

So according to your logic of Flacco not being a "franchise qb" after his first 2 years, none of these guys were either. And if you believe that then just wow...

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
          On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
          Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Are you serious? If Flacco goes so does our playoff hopes? Am I hearing this right? The Ravens run the football more then anybody else in the league and in Flaccos rookie season were ranked 4th in rushing and 28th in passing. This past season he was ranked 18th out of all the starting QB's. Not to mention we have had the 3rd BEST scoring defense the past two seasons and have forced more turnovers then any other NFL team in the league. People complain about Joe Flacco not having a supporting cast. Give me a break...QB's around the leauge would kill for the cast Flacco has. We could easily put 12-15 other QB's behind center and we would not miss a beat.

Ontop of his 24 interceptions the past two seasons he has fumbled the ball 19 times! Luckily, only 4 or 5 of those have been lost. These turnovers are going to get us nowhere in the post-season.

Speaking of the post-season do we even want to mention these stats? 57/120 (47.5% completion percentage) for 660 yards, 1 TD, and 5 INT's over a span of 5 playoff games!

Also, if Flacco has proven us anything it's that he can't lead a team from behind. He dinks and dunks (fine by me) and lets his running game and defense do the rest. Whenever, the Ravens need to throw the ball on a consistent basis is where you see Flacco crumble.

While the guy wins football games it really shouldn't be that hard with his cast. We could probably put Matt Leinart or Kyle Orton behind center and still get the same results we have gotten with Joe Flacco.

You can argue all you want that the play-calling limits Flacco's stats and big game ability but when you fumble the ball 19 times and throw a combined 24 INT's, you must play to your strengths and clearly running the ball and not letting Flacco win the game for us is the best way to win games.

As for the 12 other QB's I would rather have then Joe Flacco.

I'll start with the obvious.

1) Peyton Manning
            2) Tom Brady
            3) Drew Brees
            4) Aaron Rodgers
            5) Phillip Rivers

6) Big Ben- While Ben has made more turnovers then Joe Flacco he has 2 SuperBowl Wins. His defense has been just as productive as Flacco's, has a worse offensive line, worse running game and gets POUNDED every game. His scrambling ability and the way he runs around in circles dodging defenders left and right is something NO QB's in this leauge have. Sure, Ben makes some turnovers but he comes back with some incredible plays you will NEVER see Flacco make. Once Joe Flacco can prove that he can put his team on his back like Ben does, he will gain my respect.
            7) Matt Schaub- Houston's defense is mediocre at best and hardly ever force turnovers and the running game is extremely inconsistent. Despite Kubiak's history they only average like 3.5 yards per carry. If Schaub were a Raven we would be scary. I always thought we should have got this guy...
            8) Eli Manning- We all saw how good this guy is when his defense performs and the rushing attack is on all go. The Giants D and running game really let them down in 2009 and this guy is a consistently in the playoffs when his defense is top 12 in scoring.
            9) Matt Ryan- He let me down last year but him and Michael Turner were both injured. He still finished with 22 TD's.
            10) Donovan McNabb- Now this would be interesting. His WR's are similar to what he had in Philly, but he never had the rushing offense and commitment towards running we do.
            11) Carson Palmer- As much as I cant stand this guy I would take him over flacco. The most accurate QB in the NFL.
            12) Tony Romo- This is tough. As much as I can't stand Romo and Palemr because of their playoff records. I would have to take Romo over flacco. He's demonstrated plays that we have yet too see Flacco make. Jason Garrett is the most overrated OC in the NFL. Despite having mammoths of an offensive line he continues to pass. If they ran the ball like the Ravens and the D didn't choke I think he would have a few more wins in the playoffs.

Let's ask oursleves this question. If Joe Flacco were on a team like the Bears does anybody think they would have won more then 4 games? Personally, I would put Flacco in the Leinart, Orton, Cutler, and Cassell category.

I think Flacco has been blessed with a sound supporting cast and any of the above QB's I mentioned would be an upgrade over Flacco.
            I think you're forgetting that he's only played in the NFL for two years. If you asked me when we drafted him, and told me that he's be starting day 1, I'd have never guess that he'd take the team to the AFC Championship game his rookie year, and then follow that up with another trip to the playoffs and beating the Patriots in Foxboro.

You fail to realize that he isn't a 8 year vet like Manning or Brady, he's young, still growing and still learning the game. If he continues to turn the ball over 2 years down the road, then it's a problem, but if you ask me he's still maturing.. give it time.

Comment

• Originally posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
              I think you're forgetting that he's only played in the NFL for two years. If you asked me when we drafted him, and told me that he's be starting day 1, I'd have never guess that he'd take the team to the AFC Championship game his rookie year, and then follow that up with another trip to the playoffs and beating the Patriots in Foxboro.

You fail to realize that he isn't a 8 year vet like Manning or Brady, he's young, still growing and still learning the game. If he continues to turn the ball over 2 years down the road, then it's a problem, but if you ask me he's still maturing.. give it time.
              Yeah, give him some time. Ben wasn't nearly as good in his first two years as he is now. Sure he won a Superbowl, but quite frankly, the team won in spite of Ben, not thanks to him. The second SB is another story.

Comparing their first two years, they're not that far off. And Flacco actually has better stats in some categories (more TD's and more yards).

Give him a year or two and then you can start comparing him with other more experienced QB's. Ben started to play well in his 4th season, when he exploded with 32 TD's, 11 INT's, 65.3 comp % and a 104.1 QB rating. Right now, Baltimore can afford to let the running game carry the offense, as was the case when the Bus and Parker were together. Then Parker carried it for a while, and then it was given to Roethlisberger. Flacco can be a good QB. He just happens to play (as did Ben) one of the most vicious defenses in the league twice a year, and a Bengals team that surprisingly manages to give a fight in their down years and play really tough in their good ones.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post

Well said. After looking through some of my posts I see all of your guys arguments. I have been a little impatient with Flacco, I guess its because my wife a die hard Steeler fan only had to wait 2 years for Big Ben to win a SB.

As for this off-season I have LOVED what the Ravens have done. Running game is still intact with three very capable backs and a solid offensive line. Along with a healthy heap and the two rookies ONTOP of the additions of big play Boldin and a nice playmaker like Stallworth.

If our defesne can return healthy look out NFL. Here's how I see the playoff picture panning out.

1. Indionapolis
                2. New York
                3. Baltimore
                4. San Diego
                5. Houston
                6. New England

Comment

Well said. After looking through some of my posts I see all of your guys arguments. I have been a little impatient with Flacco, I guess its because my wife a die hard Steeler fan only had to wait 2 years for Big Ben to win a SB.

As for this off-season I have LOVED what the Ravens have done. Running game is still intact with three very capable backs and a solid offensive line. Along with a healthy heap and the two rookies ONTOP of the additions of big play Boldin and a nice playmaker like Stallworth.

If our defesne can return healthy look out NFL. Here's how I see the playoff picture panning out.

1. Indionapolis
                  2. New York
                  3. Baltimore
                  4. San Diego
                  5. Houston
                  6. New England
                  You married a Steeler fan? WTF?

I would NEVER marry or date a Baltimore fan. I don't care if it was Taylor Swift(although it'd be tempting).

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                    You married a Steeler fan? WTF?

I would NEVER marry or date a Baltimore fan. I don't care if it was Taylor Swift(although it'd be tempting).
                    Taylor Swift is actually a Steelers fan lol. She's from PA...You still got a chance...

LOL,
                    If I had known prior that my wife would also cost me 300 bucks a year for the NFL Sunday Ticket just to watch those jerk play...I may have thought twice lol!

Comment

Taylor Swift is actually a Steelers fan lol. She's from PA...You still got a chance...

LOL,
                      If I had known prior that my wife would also cost me 300 bucks a year for the NFL Sunday Ticket just to watch those jerk play...I may have thought twice lol!
                      Taylor Swift is from the other side of PA. In no way would I have a chance.

Comment

• She must be hot, very very hot Ravensmadness if you married her

Comment

• If you ever watch two and a half men she looks like Charlies fiance, Chelsea...I get that comparison atleast once a week from someone lol. It drives me nuts. We've been together since HS and even then I couldn't believe I was dating a steelers fan...

Comment

• well depending on your age u might have met her b4 baltimore had a team. if that happened we can let it slide

Comment

• 2nd MLB is up.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41689

Comment

• Will we keep 5 safeties? Reed,Landry,Zbikowski,Nakamura, and Hamlin? Personally I think there is a small chance Nakamura or Hamlin dont make it. I tihnk Nakamura has the edge over Hamlin because he is a great special teamer.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information