Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaither

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gaither

    OK new piece on BR.com talked about Gaither being quoted saying he wants to resign and retire here in Baltimore.

    Anyone think we shouldn't resign him? Anyone think we should move him back to LT and Oher to RT and draft a center or move Chester back to center when Birk retires?

  • #2
    First of all, definitely don't bring back Chester. He's not the type of offensive lineman that really helps our team, his only worth is being able to backup all three interior spots and be used as a blocking TE. We need guys who can get a push in the run game inside, you can tell the difference this year with Chester on the inside as opposed to Yanda.

    I would want Gaither back only if we used him as a LT. IMO his game doesn't translate well to the right side, especially if he intends to keep his weight down. We need pass-protectors on both edges of the line but there's still more power guys that line up over the RT than speed guys. Gaither is at his best defending against the more athletic speed-rushers rather than the over-powering guys.

    Comment


    • #3
      yeah, I never liked the move of Gaither to the right. Him and Oher were so good at LT and RT respectively. (remember them shutting down Freeney and Mathis for 0 Tackles 0 Sacks)

      If we can re-sign him cheap, I'm all for it, but I know he's gonna want some massive contract that Harbaugh just won't feel comfortable giving him. Not tilll he shows a better work ethic and character.

      Comment


      • #4
        Give him an apology note and re-sign him. I have said this for months Gaither LT and Oher RT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oher LT and whoever at RT.

        Comment


        • #5
          how can we re-sign him? unless he wants to lower his demands, I doubt we can afford him.

          Remember, we have to worry about Ngata.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would love to have him back. I think he is a good player and a great addition, but no at the expense of Ngata. We need to evaluate where he is on the list of priorities. Im sure that some other team will throw him big cash and the only way he stay is if he wants to take significantly less cash to be here.

            I just want him back so Yanda can go back to playing guard.


            Originally posted by Scott Wright
            Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

            Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

            Comment


            • #7
              He's talented, but inconsistent.
              If he wants big time bucks, let him go.
              If he'll sign for cheap, I'd love him
              GO RAVENS

              Comment


              • #8
                Greetings guys. Is it out of the realm of reality that Gaither purposely kept complaining about his back and various other ailments this year, so he didn't get some career ending injury while on this 1 year contract he signed in the offseason?

                I ask this because it seems like most of your fans say he has work ethic and character issues.

                I take it, even though he is a huge dude, he is also more suited to play LT than RT. I had assumed he the opposite.

                Thanks in advance.

                "I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
                  Greetings guys. Is it out of the realm of reality that Gaither purposely kept complaining about his back and various other ailments this year, so he didn't get some career ending injury while on this 1 year contract he signed in the offseason?

                  I ask this because it seems like most of your fans say he has work ethic and character issues.

                  I take it, even though he is a huge dude, he is also more suited to play LT than RT. I had assumed he the opposite.

                  Thanks in advance.
                  Gaither is far more of a LT than he is a RT, his style of play is just suited to be playing over the speed rushers you see on that side of the line. He's got decent power but his real value is his athletic ability in pass protection.

                  I wouldn't be surprised if his injury wasn't serious enough to be out the entire season, but at the same time a back injury could be a tricky thing so it's really hard to say one way or the other.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    yeah, no one really knows about what really went on with Gaither and his back issue, whoever does, has done a hell of a job keeping it from the media.

                    1 way or the other, the determining factor of whether or not he'll be back next year is going to be the money that he will desire and whether or not Ozzie and the FO are willing to pay him that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It will be interesting to see what his value is on an open market considering he was on IR this year. I think he was legit hurt, I doubt he faked the injury like some conspiracy people

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                        It will be interesting to see what his value is on an open market considering he was on IR this year. I think he was legit hurt, I doubt he faked the injury like some conspiracy people
                        His agent would have to be incredibly stupid and negligent to have a player fake a back injury serious enough to be put on IR. I dont think Rosenhaus is that.

                        Surely that sort of injury would hurt ones value far more than playing at RT? Any team that needed a LT would still sign him to play there even if he played the year at RT.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by drd23 View Post
                          His agent would have to be incredibly stupid and negligent to have a player fake a back injury serious enough to be put on IR. I dont think Rosenhaus is that.

                          Surely that sort of injury would hurt ones value far more than playing at RT? Any team that needed a LT would still sign him to play there even if he played the year at RT.
                          Yeah there isn't much that can hurt your value more than season ending back surgery, especially for a guy his size.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            But he didn't have back surgery. At least I can't find anything saying he did.

                            I only found a whole bunch of stories saying that they were still trying to find out what was causing his pain and that surgery wouldn't be required.

                            It's probably highly unlikely, but I thought you guys would know more than anyone, so I thought I would ask. Thanks for the answers and your time.

                            "I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
                              But he didn't have back surgery. At least I can't find anything saying he did.

                              I only found a whole bunch of stories saying that they were still trying to find out what was causing his pain and that surgery wouldn't be required.

                              It's probably highly unlikely, but I thought you guys would know more than anyone, so I thought I would ask. Thanks for the answers and your time.
                              No, he didnt. It was originally thought that he would need a few weeks rest and be fine after that. Then at his first practice after coming back from that rest, he reaggravated the injury and was inactive for quite a few weeks before finally being put on IR in November.

                              This is what is so puzzling about the whole situation. There has been no real communication about what the injury is (supposed to be some sort of thoracic disc injury), and we were originally told it was a 3 week injury but he ended up on IR

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information