AP Article on Troy Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP Article on Troy Smith

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- On his first day as a professional football player, Troy Smith was merely one of 29 rookies trying to land a job with the Baltimore Ravens.

"I'm at the bottom of the totem pole right now," he said. "I have that understanding."

His Heisman Trophy, the 54 touchdown passes he threw at Ohio State and even the No. 10 he wore as the nation's finest college football player were only a memory Friday at the team's rookie camp.

Smith, the last player drafted in the fifth round of the NFL draft, informally launched his NFL career on a beautiful spring morning wearing a purple jersey with the No. 11 on it. Most of his passes were on target; some were not.

"We've got to try to have him be able to do a few more things with the ball," Ravens offensive coordinator Rick Neuheisel said. "He's got a fastball. Now we have to work on some other pitches."

Smith led the Buckeyes to two Big Ten titles and a berth in the national championship game last season. His accomplishments are well documented, but won't mean a thing in the camp that runs through Saturday.

"I think what stands out the most to everybody in the United States is he's the Heisman Trophy winner," Neuheisel said. "I think internally he just wants to learn. He's not coming in here as though he's proven something. He's coming in here wanting to prove something."

Smith concurred. Asked to describe his mind set, he replied, "A humble one."

But Smith wore a big smile after his first practice. He loved playing college football, but was delighted to be taking his career to the next level.

"I think it went pretty good," he said. "I'm just excited about being here. A new offense is always going to bring up some challenges, and that's what they did today. They challenged us."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Well I may not like him but at least he seems to have the right attitude so far.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
    On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
    Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

hopefully he makes the roster

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

Originally posted by Yung Flippa View Post
      hopefully he makes the roster
      But if he gets beat out by Drew Olsen I'm not going to shed any tears.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Comment

Troy Smith aka the future of the Ravens

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
          But if he gets beat out by Drew Olsen I'm not going to shed any tears.
          We can probably develop Troy Smith into a eventual starter. He could spend like 1 or 2 years learning under Steve and then take over after Steve retires.

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

Originally posted by dcarey20 View Post
            Troy Smith aka the future of the Ravens
            That is not a promising future then.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

That is not a promising future then.
              Its a more promising future then Drew Olson gives us.
              HALL OF FAMER!
              PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
              JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
                Its a more promising future then Drew Olson gives us.
                How can you honestly say that when neither one of them have stepped on the field yet? You can't, we're all just speculating here but I know one thing Drew can do that Troy can't, and that's see over the line to pass a ball.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

I think with Kyle in a contract year and having Olsen and Smith behind him on the roster and depth chart that we will carry all 4 on the Roster. If by mid season Ozzie doesnt feel we are going to resign Kyle below the market value I would bet you see Troy or Drew getting some of the mop up duty to see how they perform.

Comment

How can you honestly say that when neither one of them have stepped on the field yet? You can't, we're all just speculating here but I know one thing Drew can do that Troy can't, and that's see over the line to pass a ball.
                    Troy has a stronger arm and can be a threat with his legs also which Olson cannot. I guess Drew Brees can't see over his offensive line?
                    HALL OF FAMER!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Troy has a stronger arm and can be a threat with his legs also which Olson cannot. I guess Drew Brees can't see over his offensive line?
                      Comparing Troy Smith to Drew Brees is an insult to Brees and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Comparing Troy Smith to Drew Brees is an insult to Brees and you should be ashamed of yourself.
                        How do you know its an insult if Troy has never stepped on the field yet? Troy could go on to become a great QB, and then its not bad to compare Tory and Drew.
                        HALL OF FAMER!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

How do you know its an insult if Troy has never stepped on the field yet? Troy could go on to become a great QB, and then its not bad to compare Tory and Drew.
                          Until proven otherwise its an insult.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Until proven otherwise its an insult.
                            Troy hasnt played badly yet, so its not an insult.

Basically here is what that meant, to say Troy is gonna suck because he is only 6 feet tall is not a valid reason, and Drew Brees is my argument to prove me right.
                            HALL OF FAMER!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Troy hasnt played badly yet, so its not an insult.

Basically here is what that meant, to say Troy is gonna suck because he is only 6 feet tall is not a valid reason, and Drew Brees is my argument to prove me right.
                              I wasn't using his height as a valid reason I was using it as a cheap shot.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information