Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know when the Bills Training camp starts up at St. John Fisher College? I went there back 2004 and got a bunch of Autographs, So I'm hoping to get back up there now and get some more.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

• Off-season over...

From all accounts the Bills off season is over, my question is what else could still be done to improve this team? Would signing Derrick Brooks to play linebacker hurt? What happens if Butler or Walker get hurt? Would Levi Jones at least provide some depth? That lack of depth on the offensive line is my major concern right now, especially because in my opinion Chambers is a liability as a back up... Any thoughts on how to help this team improve would be appreciated...
      "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

• Originally posted by Poz51 View Post
        From all accounts the Bills off season is over, my question is what else could still be done to improve this team? Would signing Derrick Brooks to play linebacker hurt? What happens if Butler or Walker get hurt? Would Levi Jones at least provide some depth? That lack of depth on the offensive line is my major concern right now, especially because in my opinion Chambers is a liability as a back up... Any thoughts on how to help this team improve would be appreciated...
        Replacing the left side of the OL has put this team's offense under close scrutiny. Realistically, we aren't going to be spending a lot of money on backups so Brooks and Levi Jones are probably out of the question.
        Wilson hasn't changed his strips and that means he will not spend beyond his budget for a shot at the playoffs.
        I think we will really struggle to win 7 games with a severely weakened OL. We will really struggle to pass block with Peters and Dockery gone and I see 5 or 6 wins top for the coming season. Money has been our Achilles heel and apparently it still is.
        And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
          Replacing the left side of the OL has put this team's offense under close scrutiny. Realistically, we aren't going to be spending a lot of money on backups so Brooks and Levi Jones are probably out of the question.
          Wilson hasn't changed his strips and that means he will not spend beyond his budget for a shot at the playoffs.
          I think we will really struggle to win 7 games with a severely weakened OL. We will really struggle to pass block with Peters and Dockery gone and I see 5 or 6 wins top for the coming season. Money has been our Achilles heel and apparently it still is.
          I agree with the Brooks/Jones/Wilson comments completely. Adding Brooks to the defense with Schobel (can he play at the same level...), and Youboty coming back, in addition to adding Maybin (first step is incredible) and Byrd's potential, in my mind could make the defense a top ten unit. Now that is assuming the rookies contribute, and Schobel has the same impact he had before. Brooks leadership and football sense would be a great asset on this team.
          Levitre on offense is an upgrade over Dockery, who I thought was invisable last year, and a major disappointment. The whole Peters thing I dont know about either, he was nothing short of unipressive last year, not only in letting up 11.5 sacks but also he seemed like a shell of himself, Butler playing right tackle should not be an issue, Walker playing left tackle is for me though, granted he is a big man to get around. Depth... NON-EXISTANT...
          We know people will get hurt, and any injury to the offensive line puts us in severe jeopardy of a 5 to 6 win season. Saying that, if the o-line stays healthy, I think it will be fine, love Wood at gaurd, anyone is an upgrade at center, Levitre I need to see more of, but if Walker or Butler get injured we are completely screwed...
          One thing that I believe people over look is the offense as a whole, Lynch, and Jackson form an top ten backfield, Evans and Owens could form a top five tandem (Jackson is a future star, Hardy??, Reed is finally turning into the player I thought he would/should be, and Roscoe is under utilized) Nelson should stretch the seam, and become the athletic pass catching tight end this team has needed for years, and Trent has no excuses in the playmakers department.
          Buffalo has the best special teams in the league (apologies to Josh Cribbs), Punting and Kicking to Roscoe and Leodis is almost asking a special teams coach to get fired (although we will see about the affect of the new rules), and teams will surrender field position early in the season to avoid these two, and if the offense can capitalize (this is where I think 10 or 11 wins is obtainable) teams will be forced to play field position. This cost the Bills last year, I remember numerous games where great field position was wasted on 3and outs.
          This team is the hardest to gauge in recent memory, I can see the low end, and as few as 4 wins, but should everything come together, I can see as many as 10 or 11, where as in the last three years I though realistically 7 or 8wins, with 9 being within reach last year, before the season started.
          The secondary has the potential to be devostating should Shobel and Maybin turn up the heat, the offense has the pieces at the skill positions to improve easily into the top half of the league if the offensive line can not only run block (shouldnt be a problem), but pass block (the question on everyones mind). For the first time in a while I can not make a prediction on this team with any kind of certainty...

Deion Sanders

Comment

• Originally posted by Poz51 View Post
            I agree with the Brooks/Jones/Wilson comments completely. Adding Brooks to the defense with Schobel (can he play at the same level...), and Youboty coming back, in addition to adding Maybin (first step is incredible) and Byrd's potential, in my mind could make the defense a top ten unit. Now that is assuming the rookies contribute, and Schobel has the same impact he had before. Brooks leadership and football sense would be a great asset on this team.
            Levitre on offense is an upgrade over Dockery, who I thought was invisable last year, and a major disappointment. The whole Peters thing I dont know about either, he was nothing short of unipressive last year, not only in letting up 11.5 sacks but also he seemed like a shell of himself, Butler playing right tackle should not be an issue, Walker playing left tackle is for me though, granted he is a big man to get around. Depth... NON-EXISTANT...
            We know people will get hurt, and any injury to the offensive line puts us in severe jeopardy of a 5 to 6 win season. Saying that, if the o-line stays healthy, I think it will be fine, love Wood at gaurd, anyone is an upgrade at center, Levitre I need to see more of, but if Walker or Butler get injured we are completely screwed...
            One thing that I believe people over look is the offense as a whole, Lynch, and Jackson form an top ten backfield, Evans and Owens could form a top five tandem (Jackson is a future star, Hardy??, Reed is finally turning into the player I thought he would/should be, and Roscoe is under utilized) Nelson should stretch the seam, and become the athletic pass catching tight end this team has needed for years, and Trent has no excuses in the playmakers department.
            Buffalo has the best special teams in the league (apologies to Josh Cribbs), Punting and Kicking to Roscoe and Leodis is almost asking a special teams coach to get fired (although we will see about the affect of the new rules), and teams will surrender field position early in the season to avoid these two, and if the offense can capitalize (this is where I think 10 or 11 wins is obtainable) teams will be forced to play field position. This cost the Bills last year, I remember numerous games where great field position was wasted on 3and outs.
            This team is the hardest to gauge in recent memory, I can see the low end, and as few as 4 wins, but should everything come together, I can see as many as 10 or 11, where as in the last three years I though realistically 7 or 8wins, with 9 being within reach last year, before the season started.
            The secondary has the potential to be devostating should Shobel and Maybin turn up the heat, the offense has the pieces at the skill positions to improve easily into the top half of the league if the offensive line can not only run block (shouldnt be a problem), but pass block (the question on everyones mind). For the first time in a while I can not make a prediction on this team with any kind of certainty...

I like your optimism but IMO, it is unrealistic to think we will replace Dockery and Peters without missing a beat. I believe Peters year reflected the fact that Wilson refused to pay him what he deserved and the knowledge that he wouldn't likely be with the team next year. Thinking a rookie like Levitre will just step in and be as effective as Dockery is just wishful thinking IMO.
            Brooks is just a shell of the player he once was, he's near the end and nobody is rushing to sign him. His experience might help but don't expect him to play at a star level, those days are long gone for him.
            Walker is at best an average LT who will have fits trying to stop faster, quicker and smaller DE's. Edwards will be running for his life and a rookie like Levitre will really struggle if his LT cannot help him one iota.
            The OL IMO will be below average overall and that is with no injuries. This is going to shutdown both our running attack and our passing attack no matter how good our RB's and WR's are.
            The defense may be solid although top 10 is a stretch. However if our offense struggles, the defense will find itself on the field most of the game and under that kind of pressure, could crack and give up a lot of points.
            I realistically think 6 wins is tops with 4 or 5 quite possible.
            And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
              I like your optimism but IMO, it is unrealistic to think we will replace Dockery and Peters without missing a beat. I believe Peters year reflected the fact that Wilson refused to pay him what he deserved and the knowledge that he wouldn't likely be with the team next year. Thinking a rookie like Levitre will just step in and be as effective as Dockery is just wishful thinking IMO.
              Brooks is just a shell of the player he once was, he's near the end and nobody is rushing to sign him. His experience might help but don't expect him to play at a star level, those days are long gone for him.
              Walker is at best an average LT who will have fits trying to stop faster, quicker and smaller DE's. Edwards will be running for his life and a rookie like Levitre will really struggle if his LT cannot help him one iota.
              The OL IMO will be below average overall and that is with no injuries. This is going to shutdown both our running attack and our passing attack no matter how good our RB's and WR's are.
              The defense may be solid although top 10 is a stretch. However if our offense struggles, the defense will find itself on the field most of the game and under that kind of pressure, could crack and give up a lot of points.
              I realistically think 6 wins is tops with 4 or 5 quite possible.
              Replacing the real (2007) Jason Peters is completely unrealistic, however Peters was really horrible last year, and in replacing the 2008 Peters the only way to go down is with Kirk Chambers, other than that the production can really only go up... There were times last year where I thought that it was Kirk Chambers playing left tackle for us. I will contend with anyone that Dockery did nothing more last year than go through the motions, nothing special, my observation was that he played with about the same intensity and enthusiasm as Peters. Wish I could remember where I read it but someone did some study on offensive linemen and there ability to get a push (something to that affect) and our left side of the line was in the bottom of the list, mind you thats Dockery (the highest paid linemen in bills history) and Peters (I want to be the highest paid linemen in league history, while giving up 11.5 sacks). To me the only way things get worse is through injuries and Kirk Chambers starting... Can Levitre replace Dockery? I can not say with certainty that he will immediately, but last year Dockery like Peters was not that good!! Our interior offensive line as a whole was not good either. I agree about Walker completely, he is a stop gap, average true enough... Levitre struggling I can see to, but he was an AP second team all-american at tackle behind Andre Smith and Michael Oher, so its not like he is some slouch... Oregon States offense when he played constantly improved the more he played, and from what I have read, much of it was attributed to him, including him neutralizing almost all the competition... One injury and I completely agree that the o-line becomes below average, I would say average now, with a chance to become above average with the right circumstances. I would completely agree that they are the key to the offense, and this hurry up they are installing is really designed to mask the offensive lines flaws, which true enough could shutdown the offense completely, which would be a shame, because this might actually be the best offense Buffalo has seen in a good 8 years, in terms of skill position players. Offensive line is always the key, and you are right that no matter how good our QB's, RB's, TE's, or WR's are without an offensive line it does not matter.
              As for Brooks, clearly his better days are a thing of the past, just look at his production last year, its the leadership, his film room study (which if you have never heard him speak about, find it and watch, listen and be impressed), which might be more impressive than his resume. Its his IQ that I think would help the young guys now and in the future, and presence that I think would be a tremendous asset to this team... New England does not bring in Rodney Harrison, Fred Taylor, Shawn Springs, Junior Seau types to be the man, football IQ, and support... I was at the last game Buffalo beat New England in Buffalo, right after the signning of Milloy, sitting in the corner end zone where Clements made the best interception I have ever seen in person... That game we had vetern leadership, young talent mixed with guys with strong football IQ's. Since then we have not really had that influence on the team to help support the younger players, and New England has been Boy George-ing us ever since...
              As for the defense being top ten, yeah the pieces would have to come together in order for that to happen, and I dont think it will happen, but I see the possibility should things come together. Your point about the possibilty of the defense being on the field and cracking is dually noted, with a strong possibilty of happening. Like I said, 4 or 5 wins could easily be the final tally, should (small possibility) things come together, I could see as many as 11 wins. Optimism as a Bills fans is all I have left.
              Side note, I was 15 when Bill Polian was fired, to this day, that is the sadest moment in this Franchises history, I remember him saying something to the affect that we would never see a team like those superbowl teams again, how right he was. We have never seen a team like that again in Buffalo, how funny that that offense in particular now resides in Indianapolis...

Deion Sanders

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dynasty View Post
                Does anyone know when the Bills Training camp starts up at St. John Fisher College? I went there back 2004 and got a bunch of Autographs, So I'm hoping to get back up there now and get some more.
                Starts July 25th, just released today.

Gerald Washington, Joel Bell, Blake Costanzo, and Kyle Ward were all waived :/
                So was John Faletoese.

Comment

• New throwbacks :)

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                  my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                  But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
                    Starts July 25th, just released today.

Gerald Washington, Joel Bell, Blake Costanzo, and Kyle Ward were all waived :/
                    So was John Faletoese.
                    Blake?! Really?

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• I know, it's insanity!

I won't get too upset with Moorman on the page, but I just don't get this.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
                        I know, it's insanity!

I won't get too upset with Moorman on the page, but I just don't get this.
                        Absolutely heinous

Comment

• Garrison Sanborn wears #69. I think it's time for a new jersey!

Comment

• Its early, but any prediction on the bills record this year? I have a feeling we will have a wide spectrum based on some of the comments.

I am not as down on the team as some people seem to be, but I am not overly optimistic either. I think the defense will be at around around the same level it was last year as I cant yet fully trust Schobel to be fully healthy, there is some upside with this group tho. Offense is perplexing. I love a lot of things. I love the WR core, I love the RB depth, I like Trent with these weapons, but the OL is a major question mark. I will go middle of the road and say we will be about the same as last year again with major upside if the OL gels.

So, I will say 8-8 if forced to make a prediction.
                            When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• I don't like to put too much weight into the schedule before the season, but it's flat out getting a lot harder. I'd love to see this offense click and do well, it would be a good sight for any football fan. But there isn't a person out there who knows what to expect from this line, and looking over it, it's easier to foresee trouble. I'll take the easy way out and say 7-9. But those are going to be tough wins. Our defense will need to be very good for itself and the line can't be among the worst in the league for us to be sniffing the playoffs.

Comment

• For me, the likelihood of the OL gelling seems like wishful thinking. While I like the rest of the team, the weakness of the OL is going to cost them dearly and I'd guess 5 or 6 wins is tops.
                                Put Peters on this team in a happy mood because Wilson had paid him what a top LT commands in this league and if Edwards had a breakout season we all had hoped for, we would be a very serious playoff contender and maybe even a SB one as well. But IMO, it just isn't happening.
                                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information