Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question about drafting corners for everyone. Seeing as we are now running a cover-2 defense and we are going to probably let Clements walk this year, when will we address cornerback? I know that Tampa pretty much always waits until day two and has success, I think that they got Ronde in round 2 and thats the earliest they've gone for a corner. I am just wondering if we are going to do this as well like the Bucs or if we will be like the Broncos/Bears and just go corner happy in the middle rounds like every third year to find a good one in rounds 2-4. I just can't see us going corner round 1 at all when we are running a cover-2 that doesn't require us to have great man-man corners, we need physical receivers, maybe free safety-corner tweeners even because in a cover-2 defense the secondary needs to have smart, physical players, we don't need speed. What is our teams phylosiphy when it comes to defensive drafting now that we run this cover-2? I am pretty sure it is defense early and often, but not corner or free safety... Can I get a semi-accurate answer for this?

Comment

well for our team we really only have one draft with a new scheme, coach, and GM to go by. Obviously that draft was heavily defensive. I'm not sure what our plans have been with Youbuty, but whatever they are/were they were thrown off with the time he missed due to the tragedy of his mother' death. I'm not sure where we expect him to fit in, but I surely wouldn't mind getting at least one other corner through the draft. I don't know if we go CB very early, but it should definitely be addressed at some point, and middle rounds seem accurate like we did last year. The mindset at even the 06 draft was that Clements would have a good chance of not being here for more than one year and we took just that one middle round CB in Youboty. Of course CB appears to be a bigger need now than it did last year, but I don't know if we have enough experience in drafting for this scheme to know exactly what and when we will draft. I would personalyl like to see us grab a corner on late first day, but there's too much going on along the lines of WR, Guard, LB, D-linemen, and even a tackle at the right time for me to know what prioritizes over what

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMcgee
        aren't we missing our 5th for Hargrove?

In that situaution we would still only have one 5th round pick
        Yeah, out 5th is gone
        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

I really think letting Clements go will turn out to be a mistake. I mean, he is overrated and I agree with many Bills fans in that regard, however he is still a top 10 CB in this league and can be shutdown, just ask andre johnson. Will we have to overpay to keep him, yes, but thats what it takes in todays day and age. If Marv and Ralph really want to win now, resigning Clements is the best move. The going rate is high, but so be it, I dont see us spending big money for anyone else, why not one of our own. He is an elite CB in the NFL and it is not likely that he can be replaced. Quite simply, if Clements goes, it messes stuff up. I dont want to have to draft a CB early, we are to weak in the trenches. Same goes with Fletch. With creative management of the cap, get Fletch back here. We wont be able to get anyone else, but that would assure a great D. Then through the draft (in the 1st 3 rounds) we can address DE, OG, and OT (not necessarily that order although I would prefer that).

Comment

I know what you're saying. Three weeks ago I might've disagreed, but now that I'm less enraged at Clements, my cleared senses lead me to believe that keeping him would be a pretty good move (or maybe now they're skewed by better play ). If we're willing to bring him back, and he's willing to come back, then I wouldn't have a problem with it, unless it got ridiculously high-priced.

Comment

I love Clements and hope that he stays, I just don't think that he will. I mean, Ralph is a penny pincher and Levy and Jauron are going to want this team to be their team not someone elses, they are going to build this defense thru the draft for the next 2-3 years and hope for the best out of these players. I don't expect Clements to be resigned, but I would rather keep him than see him go, just at the right price and contract length/structure (front heavy).

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost
                I love Clements and hope that he stays, I just don't think that he will. I mean, Ralph is a penny pincher and Levy and Jauron are going to want this team to be their team not someone elses, they are going to build this defense thru the draft for the next 2-3 years and hope for the best out of these players. I don't expect Clements to be resigned, but I would rather keep him than see him go, just at the right price and contract length/structure (front heavy).
                That is true, but Ralph is also old and want to win now for obvious reasons. Hopefully his desire to win will overcome his desire for cash this time

Comment

well, this is the game guys. If we win, we can still hold out slim hope, lose an we are pretty much playing for draft position.

Comment

THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee
                      THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      2 Weeks in a row for JP on a game winning drive, and what can I say about Roscoe. WOOOOOOOO!

Comment

• I have a feeling this game vs the Chargers coming up may be rough. They handled us last year and Merriman is going to be fresh off suspension. I doubt he will be rusty, but he sure as hell will be fired up. Our OL is going to have to step it up of JP could be in for a rough day.......

Comment

• Schubert ... why?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee
                            Schubert ... why?
                            oh, the explaining i have to do. Well, basically I found out that if u search my name in google this site comes up and i dont wont potential employers to easily look up some dumb comments I may have made here.........

Comment

• Whyd you get rid of your surname Rob?

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Originally posted by fischbowl
                                Whyd you get rid of your surname Rob?
                                SuperMcgee wrote:
                                Schubert ... why?

oh, the explaining i have to do. Well, basically I found out that if u search my name in google this site comes up and i dont wont potential employers to easily look up some dumb comments I may have made here.........

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information