No announcement yet.

Trading next years first rounder...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not to upset about it. At first I was shocked, but after hearing the grade that hurney and many draft sites had on Brown I feel ok with it. If we has fans have confidence our team will be in the playoffs this upcoming year than we will be getting a low first rounder. Plus they can save a little money has they will pay a guy they had a first round grade on 2nd round money instead of a 1st round guy next year. I'm kinda in the middle with this, hopefully it works out.

Comment

After researching it a little and comparing it to other similar trades the past few years, we actually got pretty good value. A lot of teams have only gotten the second rounder, but we got a 4th rounder as well out of it.

Comment

Speculating right now is almost pointless. If Brown does well, no one cares because we essentially got a first round player but we can pay him second round money. If he doesn't, it was a big mistake.

Time will tell.

Comment

Am I the only person who thought this was a pretty good trade for Carolina? If they trade Peppers, they need an end anyways. Even if they don't trade him, he's probably out after this year and the Panthers are spending a first round pick on a defensive lineman. I think most people would agree that on NFL Draft Countdown, he was pretty much a consensus first-round pick. The team is a contender and they just chose to get their young, talented defensive end this year instead of next. If they had traded their 2010 first round pick for say #20 and took him, I bet no one would be complaining. Also, keep in mind the amount of money you pay a first-round pick compared to a second-rounder is generally a good deal higher.

Comment

A panthers fan had posted the last 6 or 7 players picked by Carolina in round 1 and the list was all studs. Based on that I don't really like the trade, simply because it looks like Fox & the FO have done exceptionally well over the years in round 1.

Stictly based on the values I don't mind the deal. But it's hard to look at any deal without considering all the factors.

I'd say it's a decent trade overall because it was a good deal by the numbers (1st for a 2nd & 4th), gained a quality player with high potential at an inexpensive pick, but cost a 1st rounder for a team that has been very successful in round 1.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
              If they had traded their 2010 first round pick for say #20 and took him, I bet no one would be complaining.
              I agree with that. though i still think they could have gotten a better DE next year then this year but even so they had to draft something and Brown was the best value where they got him in the second round in this draft class

https://twitter.com/#!/DarthSharkPanch

Comment

If you read my posts above ROP, you'll see I was saying the exact same thing. Panthers fans should not be upset over this. Good trade, good value.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                Originally posted by fenikz
                we all hate you

Comment

Originally posted by JPF View Post
                  My problem is that I don't feel like we got equal value for the first rounder. A 2nd & a 4th for a first rounder? I don't know, it makes me feel as though either I overvalue a first rounder or that Hurney & Fox undervalue a first rounder.
                  "Next year" picks don't carry the same weight. All picks have a numerical value attached to them, but "next year" picks are rated at a full round lower.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                    Am I the only person who thought this was a pretty good trade for Carolina? If they trade Peppers, they need an end anyways. Even if they don't trade him, he's probably out after this year and the Panthers are spending a first round pick on a defensive lineman. I think most people would agree that on NFL Draft Countdown, he was pretty much a consensus first-round pick. The team is a contender and they just chose to get their young, talented defensive end this year instead of next. If they had traded their 2010 first round pick for say #20 and took him, I bet no one would be complaining. Also, keep in mind the amount of money you pay a first-round pick compared to a second-rounder is generally a good deal higher.
                    Right, we basically did this with Otah, I just see it was getting our guys a year early, and in this specific case, we get him a lot cheaper.

I kind of view this as Brown IS our '10 first round pick, and that we just get him early.

Comment

It is the kind of move contenders make if they believe that this prospect increases their chances of winning the SB. After all if Carolina wins 10 or 11 games, they will draft pretty late in round 1 so it really didn't cost them that much giving up next year's 1st rounder. I think it was a solid trade as long as next season isn't a disaster.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                        A panthers fan had posted the last 6 or 7 players picked by Carolina in round 1 and the list was all studs. Based on that I don't really like the trade, simply because it looks like Fox & the FO have done exceptionally well over the years in round 1.

Stictly based on the values I don't mind the deal. But it's hard to look at any deal without considering all the factors.

I'd say it's a decent trade overall because it was a good deal by the numbers (1st for a 2nd & 4th), gained a quality player with high potential at an inexpensive pick, but cost a 1st rounder for a team that has been very successful in round 1.
                        That's my issue, Hurney and co have been money in the first round for a while now.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information