No announcement yet.

Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps in a WCO he could succeed, but other than that I don't see it.

Comment

• The defense doesn't need to cut Jenkins, Maake or Lucas, all three are very good players who (jenkins and Lucas) were either injured or getting over long term injuries.

Maake is in his first year with the guys around him and made some good plays for us this year.
      The problem with the defense was the amount of time they were on the field, not necessarily their play.

At linebacker we need to bring draft back and bring in someone new. At QB we should take a long hard look at someone like Kolb who could very really be a long term answer at the end of this window.

Comment

• Not to mention that the caphits from those players would eat up what little cap room we will have this offseason.

Safety is a position we need to upgrade.

Comment

• I know Reggie Nelson has gotten all the recent publicity, but I still feel that Michael Griffin is the best all-around safety in this draft. Just watch any Texas game and Griffin is all over the field.

Comment

• I think Landry and Nelson are a little bit more like Chris Hope, Ed Reed, maybe a bit of Shaun Taylor, and Griffin is a little more like Polamalu and Adrian Wilson.

I'm sick of safeties that cannot cover worth a damn, we need someone like Nelson or Landry.

Comment

• So the team needs section has been updated, and yet again TE is still #2 for the Panthers. :roll:

I admit we need something better than what we have, but at some point Scott has to give up this "they haven't had a passcatcher since Walls". Well duh! Cause the scheme doesn't use TE's as passcatchers.

Comment

• [quote="JPFI believe you mean that the remaining amount is accelerated against the next years cap.
                It's prorated out over the total years of the contract unless it's accelerated due to the player being released/traded. Seems like you just used the wrong term.[/quote]

You're right, I was thinking about the bonus being prorated throughout the life of the contract and I had that term stuck in my head.

As far as Leak goes.....I'm a huge Leak supporter. I have been ever since I saw him play in HS. The thing with Chris and this was evident last night is that he lack of height is going to hinder him. He was almost forced to throw a jump pass several times in order to get it over the line. He also has average arm strength. On several of the out routes, the ball seemed to float and he's lucky it wasn't picked. I'm not knocking his game, he led that team to the National Championship but I just don't see it translating well into the pros. Another thing with Chris, and this goes back to his HS days, is that when you put pressure in his face, he struggles. I was confused as to why OSU kept rushing just 8. When he can stand back there, he will pick you apart. Send a lot of pressure and (this has a lot to do with MAYBE being 6') he can't see his receivers and he can't move up in the pocket because he can't see over the line. Chris was a great HS and college QB but I don't see him doing well in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong though.
                Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
                KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPF
                  So the team needs section has been updated, and yet again TE is still #2 for the Panthers. :roll:

I admit we need something better than what we have, but at some point Scott has to give up this "they haven't had a passcatcher since Walls". Well duh! Cause the scheme doesn't use TE's as passcatchers.
                  I think it is some of both. We don't need our TE to catch passes in the system we have, but it would be a nice option if we had a good TE reciever. The Panthers have not seemed desperate to get a recieving TE in the offseason, but we have looked at a couple guys like Freddie Jones in free agency and we have drafted TEs in the later rounds. The team seems to view it as a luxury, not a need.

But one person I would look at is new englad's daniel graham. NE has their tight end of the future in ben watson and probably won't spend the money to keep graham. he certainly wont be a star TE, but certainly an upgrade from who we have now.

Sig by DLS42

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstAndGoal
                    Originally posted by JPF
                    So the team needs section has been updated, and yet again TE is still #2 for the Panthers. :roll:

I think it is some of both. We don't need our TE to catch passes in the system we have, but it would be a nice option if we had a good TE reciever. The Panthers have not seemed desperate to get a recieving TE in the offseason, but we have looked at a couple guys like Freddie Jones in free agency and we have drafted TEs in the later rounds. The team seems to view it as a luxury, not a need.

But one person I would look at is new englad's daniel graham. NE has their tight end of the future in ben watson and probably won't spend the money to keep graham. he certainly wont be a star TE, but certainly an upgrade from who we have now.

We did have Wiggins, and he caught how many passes?

Wiggins could be a FA this year though.

Comment

• i think carolina needs to find a good qb some time because this basanez guy im not sure if he is good enough we dont need another delhomme we need a solid good quarterback as for those that say chris leak and or troy smith is to short look at the sucesses drew brees is having he is the same height as leak

Comment

• Originally posted by pantherzfan28
                        i think carolina needs to find a good qb some time because this basanez guy im not sure if he is good enough we dont need another delhomme we need a solid good quarterback as for those that say chris leak and or troy smith is to short look at the sucesses drew brees is having he is the same height as leak
                        Leak isn't going to be a good NFL QB, he doesn't have a strong enough arm and he can't read defenses.

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstAndGoal
                          Originally posted by JPF

It's more the system than anything. We keep our TE's in to block on about 70% of passing plays.

We signed Freddie Jones, he retired not long after being signed. Fox said in the press conference announcing we'd signed him that he'd have to pick up his blocking if he wanted playing time.

We had Jermaine Wiggins and anyone hardly knew he was here until he had ONE big play in a playoff game.

The late round guys we've taken, well, that's where teams usually take blocking TE's. Which, there's nothing to say that the guys we've taken under Fox are anything more than that.

As for Daniel Graham, he's a name I keep looking at hoping we'll go after, but I'm not counting on it.

Comment

• I still say Kolb in the third should be our target.

Comment

• How can you guys count out Basanez? The Baz-Man?!

I kid, I kid. Though I do think he could be developed into a quality QB.

I do like a lot about many of the young QB prospects comming out. I don't think Leak has it, but he could turn out to be pretty good because he's a smart cookie.

I watched most of Kolb's bowl game, and he reminded me of a younger, more accurate Jake, which I could really go for. At the same time, the Panthers have a lot of holes unless we get some picks via trade or RFAs, we need to address other areas than QB right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by pantherzfan28
                                i think carolina needs to find a good qb some time because this basanez guy im not sure if he is good enough we dont need another delhomme we need a solid good quarterback as for those that say chris leak and or troy smith is to short look at the sucesses drew brees is having he is the same height as leak
                                Drew Brees is 6'. Chris Leak is 5'10-5'11 at the most, same with Troy Smith. Brees also has a stronger arm than Leak and is more mobile.
                                Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
                                KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information