No announcement yet.

Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were 7-1 in our division last season, which makes me wonder why the NFL even has divisions anyway. If the team with the best record within a division doesn't win anything, why have them?

Comment

• Originally posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
      We were 7-1 in our division last season, which makes me wonder why the NFL even has divisions anyway. If the team with the best record within a division doesn't win anything, why have them?
      create rivalry, less travel. Our record in division shouldn't trump the Saints overall better record.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
        create rivalry, less travel. Our record in division shouldn't trump the Saints overall better record.
        I didn't mean to dis-credit what the Saints did. I just question the entire concept. If division records don't matter, why not just eliminate divisions and have more diversity in the schedule. These teams have a week between each game, travel shouldn't be a problem for any of them. As for rivalries, I think less would be more. Instead of playing a team twice a year, you only play them once which builds anticipation and increases overall interest in the game.

Comment

We were 7-1 in our division last season, which makes me wonder why the NFL even has divisions anyway. If the team with the best record within a division doesn't win anything, why have them?
          I think you meant 5-1, lol.

Comment

I didn't mean to dis-credit what the Saints did. I just question the entire concept. If division records don't matter, why not just eliminate divisions and have more diversity in the schedule. These teams have a week between each game, travel shouldn't be a problem for any of them. As for rivalries, I think less would be more. Instead of playing a team twice a year, you only play them once which builds anticipation and increases overall interest in the game.
            Jet lag certainly matters.

If we still played them once a year that would mean we would still have divisions though.

Divisions mostly are there to help determine who gets in the playoffs and the matchups. As the team with the worst division record will have to play the first WC team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericcartman View Post
              I think you meant 5-1, lol.
              Thanks for that. I counted the two times we beat ourselves against the Bengals and Cowboys as divisional wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
                Jet lag certainly matters.

If we still played them once a year that would mean we would still have divisions though.

Divisions mostly are there to help determine who gets in the playoffs and the matchups. As the team with the worst division record will have to play the first WC team.
                I'm just suffering from withdrawals. Football has far too long of an offseason and far too short of a regular season.

I'm eager to see what this team can do.

Comment

Thanks for that. I counted the two times we beat ourselves against the Bengals and Cowboys as divisional wins.
                  Oh, now I am with you. But,then its more like 7-3 ;o)

Comment

• The Carolina Panthers have signed second-round draft choices Dwayne Jarrett (45th overall) and Ryan Kalil (59th overall) from the University of Southern California, fifth-round draft choice (164th overall) Tim Shaw from Penn State and seventh-round draft choice (226th overall) C.J. Wilson from Baylor the team announced Friday.

A 6-2, 219-pound wide receiver, Jarrett played in 38 games with 31 starts for the Trojans prior to entering the NFL following his junior season. He set the school career record with 216 receptions for 3,138 yards and a Pac-10 all-time mark of 41 touchdown catches. Jarrett garnered first-team All-America and All-Pac 10 recognition for the second consecutive year as a junior in 2006 after posting 70 catches for 1,015 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Kalil, 6-2, 291 pounds, played in 45 games with 39 starts at center for the Trojans. He started his final three seasons as the team compiled a 36-3 record and did not allow a sack during his final two campaigns. As a senior in 2006, Kalil earned first-team All-Pac 10 honors and won the Morris Trophy, given to the conference's top offensive lineman.

A 6-1, 236-pound linebacker, Shaw played in 46 games with 32 starts for the Nittany Lions, seeing action at defensive end, middle linebacker and outside linebacker after playing running back as a freshman. He compiled 177 tackles, 12 sacks, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one interception and 13 passes defensed. An honorable mention All-Big 10 choice as a senior in 2006, Shaw registered 44 tackles and ranked second on the team with seven sacks.

Wilson, 6-1, 195 pounds, appeared in 46 games with 25 starts for the Bears and produced 139 tackles, nine interceptions, 14 passes defensed, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries. He played cornerback in college but will line up at safety for Carolina. As a senior in 2006, Wilson earned second-team All-Big 12 honors after notching 59 tackles, four interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown, six passes defensed and one forced fumble.

Carolina has signed seven of its eight draft choices. Still unsigned is first-round selection Jon Beason. The team will conduct its first training camp practice on Saturday at 9:10 a.m.

Additionally, the Panthers have waived defensive tackle Jordan Carstens, who failed his physical, safety Jessie Daniels, wide receiver Julius McClellan and cornerback Garnell Wilds. Carstens played in 29 games with 16 starts in three seasons and posted 60 tackles and four sacks before being placed on injured reserve last year after suffering a blood clot in his left lung. Daniels and McClellan had been signed as undrafted rookie free agents from Louisiana State and North Carolina Central, respectively, on May 4. Wilds spent the 2006 season on reserve non-football illness/injury with an injured knee.

The Carolina Panthers have suspended tackle Jeremy Bridges for the first two games of the 2007 regular season for conduct detrimental to the team, general manager Marty Hurney announced Friday.

Bridges was arrested on misdemeanor charges of assault by waving a gun on Thursday. He will be able to practice with the team during training camp but will not play in regular season contests at St. Louis on September 9 or versus Houston on September 16.
                    Glad to have a couple of more draft picks under contract, but not the best first day a team can have. Jordan Carstens was a valuable back-up at the defensive tackle position and Jeremy Bridges would've challenged for a starting position on the offensive line.

Comment

• Two by two, Panthers defensive linemen lined up Saturday against a sled used by the coaches to teach them to get off on the snap (a football is attached and the linemen go by its movement). When it was Kris Jenkins and Maake Kemoeatu’s turn, the ball moved, the two big men pushed forward, and the sled gave way, coming off the spikes that were keeping it in place.

“You broke the sled,” said defensive line coach Sal Sunseri. “That’s the end of THAT drill.”
                      Hope to see that type of impact on the field from these two. Perhaps all the offseason talk has motivated Kris Jenkins to return to his dominant form from '02-'03.

Comment

• Jenkins looks in better shape starting than last year.

Smith is making plays everywhere as usual but also seems to be really excited and helping out the other guys and giving praise.

How ever, WE NEED TO SIGN BEASON

Comment

• Yeah Beason really needs to get in there and start learning the Defense. Don't want him to get too far behind. I'm excited to see what a healthy Steve Smith can do for an entire season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Star Wideout View Post
                            Yeah Beason really needs to get in there and start learning the Defense. Don't want him to get too far behind. I'm excited to see what a healthy Steve Smith can do for an entire season.
                            Coaches and players always like to say defenses are ahead of offenses at this point of camp. That’s largely true. But the exception is Steve Smith. The wide receiver has been absolutely abusing the defensive backs.
                            -Charlotte.com

I have read that Beason is claiming to being treated unfairly by the team and is getting a contract that is structured differently than any of the other picks around him. I read in another article that they are trying to not give him the two year bonus, which would be a good amount of money. I think he would end up being the lowest paid first round pick.

But of course the player is the bad guy as usual in these situations. People only remember the bad guys who hold out, such as TO. Not the good guys who have done it too such as Richard Seymour and Hines Ward.

Comment

• What are the chances that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent?

Comment

• Doesn't sound like he has started his Panthers' career on the best note.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- The agent for Carolina Panthers' rookie Jon Beason said Saturday he was hopeful there would be a breakthrough soon in contract negotiations.

Beason, a linebacker from Miami, officially became a holdout when he missed Saturday's opening workout of training camp. But a day after general manager Marty Hurney said they were "miles apart," Michael Huyghue indicated other first-round signings across the league could jump-start talks.

"A lot of times as more deals come in, it takes some of the uncertainty out of what you're looking for," Huyghue said. "It helps sometimes to move the conversation forward, so I'm hopeful that that will be the effect."

The players above and below Beason, the 25th pick, have come to terms. Beason is the lowest first-round pick still unsigned.

Beason was expected to challenge incumbent starter Na'il Diggs at outside linebacker. Beason would also provide insurance at middle linebacker as Dan Morgan tries to come back from multiple concussions.

Morgan, who met Beason a couple of years ago during offseason workouts in Miami, said he talked with him Friday.

"I told him to get up here so he can carry some helmets," said Morgan, referring to the tradition that rookies carry the veterans' gear.

Coach John Fox was in a much less jovial mood about Beason, who is only the second holdout in Fox's six years on the job.

"I'm not into talking about guys who aren't here," Fox said.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information