No announcement yet.

Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for Steve Smith, I really hope they limit what he does in the preseason. If they let him on the field, he'll give 100%. I don't think we need to put him in a situation where he could be injured. We also have quite a few other wide receivers that need to get a look. I think I would put him in there on the first drive only for every preseason game, perhaps the entire first quarter for the third one.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
      As for Steve Smith, I really hope they limit what he does in the preseason. If they let him on the field, he'll give 100%. I don't think we need to put him in a situation where he could be injured. We also have quite a few other wide receivers that need to get a look. I think I would put him in there on the first drive only for every preseason game, perhaps the entire first quarter for the third one.
      Yeah, I wouldn't even play him other than the first drive of the last preseason game to be honest. LT didn't play at all I don't think. Get the team to start functioning without a superstar to bail them out and you will see how good these guys really are.

We know what he can do, and we know that he will give 100%.

Comment

• What are everyone's thoughts on the latest on the Jon Beason situation? Posted by our own Blindsite:

Just wondering what you guys thought of this.

The Panthers FO is trying to put a clause in his contract saying basically "if you misbehave, we get our bonus money back"

Additionally, they're trying to **** his 2nd year option bonus, which is in all other rookie contracts, to the third year. Easing the FO cap situation, but also making Beason the lowest paid first rounder over the first two years.

Beason won't sign and I agree seeing as the front office won't pay him that option bonus for his third year if he say has a complete tear of his ACL in the final game of his 2nd year. This is about his financial security and the fact that everyone else in the league has the same deal.

He also probably doesn't like the Pacman clause (as I'm hereby dubbing it) seeing as he's got no real character issues and has been nothing outside of ecstatic about the prospect of playing for Carolina.
        I don't have a problem with the clause, which seems to put me in the minority. Jon Beason may feel offended by the fact that he is the only player to have this clause in his contract, but I think it speaks less of him as a person and more about the Panthers as an organization. We value character about as much as any organization in the NFL, so I'm pretty sure the clause would have been included regardless of the choice. I also think the clause actually puts some power back into the hands of the front office and the team, which should be the case in every contract negotiation. I doubt they expect Jon Beason to be a troublemaker, but this is just a little insurance in case he struggles to adapt to life as a millionaire.

Comment

• He will be signing a deal likley similar to Reggie Nelson, Reggie signed a 5 year deal worth 13.2 million, 7.2 million guaranteed.

That isn't that much money in the first year. I'd say around two. That is enough for him to get a nice house and a nice car and some stuff. It isn't that much.

There just isn't a reason for them to be putting it in, I don't think they did it to any of the other rookies.

Beason is a smart player, and a smart person. Typically rookies are so tired from their first NFL season they don't do anything anyway. The team has to trust that the veterans won't let it happen. We didn't draft some kid with a big police background.

He has as much right to financial security as anyone.

Comment

• They probably didn't put this clause in the contracts of the other draft choices, but they also won't invest the type of money into those picks that they will in Beason.

I think this was a pre-emptive move to avoid any of the trouble caused by Adam Jones' suspension and conflict over what money he owes the team. If Beason ever gets in any type of trouble, the punishment is written in the contract and won't cause any type of distraction throughout the season or offseason.

I don't expect Beason to get into any trouble and I doubt the team does as well. However, with Goodell you have to expect more harsh punishment with actions that earlier may have just constituted a slap on the wrist. Beason may not shoot up a nightclub, but perhaps he is pulled over late one night and happens to be a little drunk. We don't know what type of punishment he would receive from Goodell, but this contract would allow the Panthers to have all of the bases covered and wouldn't need to waste their valuable time worrying about it later.

Comment

• I understand the reason the Panthers are trying to put it in but Beason is completely in the right to hold out because of it. There's absolutely no reason why he should be subject to it but any other player in the NFL shouldn't. NFL teams already hold way more power when it comes to paying contracts than any other professional sports teams do. I left a longer opinion in the thread itself

Early things from camp...McClover looks good, Minter looks bad, CJ Wilson looks good. Nate Salley looked adequate, but now he's injured. Steve is lining up in the flanker spot a lot. Jeff King looks good, Rosario also. TE looks like it will be used a lot more this year in the passing game. Horn may sneak onto the roster. Dave Ball too. Chad Lavalais looks pretty good for DT depth. Kindal Moorehead doesn't. Alex Haynes is looking good. Nick Goings may not be guaranteed a roster spot. Montgomery looks like the guy who'll be on the outside looking in on the OL this year, but it's early

Comment

• I have heard that Salley was all over Smith and has been doing a good job.

They are probably just holding Minter out because of age and freshness

Comment

• Well we got Chris Harris a safety from the Bears. I like the pick up a lot. Has starting experience, youth and is smart. Sounds like young Marlon McCree, only has better skills perhaps.

We may see Harris and Salley starting before too long. Minter may not start too many games..

Comment

• Surprised we acquired him so cheaply, a fifth-round draft pick. Very nice addition to the roster, for the present and future. I think I'd feel more comfortable with a Harris/Minter duo than I would Harris/Salley. Salley has shown flashes in training camp, but I still think he needs one more year to prepare himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
                      Surprised we acquired him so cheaply, a fifth-round draft pick. Very nice addition to the roster, for the present and future. I think I'd feel more comfortable with a Harris/Minter duo than I would Harris/Salley. Salley has shown flashes in training camp, but I still think he needs one more year to prepare himself.
                      Minter honestly wasn't that great last year. He has obviously lost a step and isn't always in the right place.

Minter was signed knowing he would be a backup for most of the season. A combination of Minter and Harris doesn't give us much speed at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
                        Minter honestly wasn't that great last year. He has obviously lost a step and isn't always in the right place.

Minter was signed knowing he would be a backup for most of the season. A combination of Minter and Harris doesn't give us much speed at all.
                        I figured Mike Minter came back under the assumption that he would start this season.

Nate Salley isn't all that much of an upgrade in speed from what I've seen of his college years.

Comment

• I'll agree with the Marlon McCree comparison you made in the other topic. McCree was a rather looked over move when it happened, but by the end of the season he seemed like a player we couldn't afford to lose.

I think our talent at cornerback makes up for the lack of ability in our safeties. I think that is what helped McCree and hopefully it'll help Harris the same way.

Comment

• Also saw we brought back Jermaine Hardy. Hope that injury to Nate Salley wasn't worse than initially thought.

Comment

• I'm not thoroughly excited by Chris Harris himself and am certainly not expecting McCree out of him, but it's very nice to see us make this move. It makes us passable at one of the safety spots, when we weren't at either before. I'm hoping our safeties are CJ Wilson and Chris Harris by Week 6

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                                I'm not thoroughly excited by Chris Harris himself and am certainly not expecting McCree out of him, but it's very nice to see us make this move. It makes us passable at one of the safety spots, when we weren't at either before. I'm hoping our safeties are CJ Wilson and Chris Harris by Week 6
                                That's what so nice about it. We didn't know what we had in McCree until we allowed him to play. McCree had just been released by the Houston Texans, so there wasn't much hope that he would be a solid contributor here. That could just as easily happen with Harris. The only difference is that Harris is younger and hopefully will stay around here longer than one season.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information