No announcement yet.

Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, yea McCree came out of nowhere himself but just because Steve Smith was a drafted as a punt returner doesn't mean Ryne Robinson is going to be the best WR in the league in 5 years. Though I do think Ryne does have a lot of upside as a WR...

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
      I'm not thoroughly excited by Chris Harris himself and am certainly not expecting McCree out of him, but it's very nice to see us make this move. It makes us passable at one of the safety spots, when we weren't at either before. I'm hoping our safeties are CJ Wilson and Chris Harris by Week 6
      But you expected McCree's performance right? McCree was nothing when he came here. But he turned a season in which he layed some big hits, was a monster in run support, and decent in coverage. Harris is pretty much all of those. We don't demand the same things from our safety's as the Bears.

MINTER IS DONE, STICK A FORK IN HIM. I say that because he is already mulling retirement, BEFORE THE SEASON. If he can't take Training camp as the starter, he can't be one during the season.

The battle is between Salley and Cooper for now. However, I think that the best possible combination would be Wilson/Harris. Wilson has the coverage ability, (known as a zone corner) and plays the ball very well. He is also probably our fastest safety. Wilson would be nice because if he can play deep and safe, Harris can be near the line, where he is best.

Wilson's biggest knocks out of college were for the cornerback position. Some were:

Biting on play fakes
      Man to Man isn't the best
      Timed speed isn't great
      Bulk
      Gives a cushion

Those things are all going to be a lot easier for him at the Safety position. Biting on a fake at corner, well you might as well just give up because its over once you have been fooled. Safety, he has more of a cushion, and if he is told to play deep, he won't have to worry about it. He has good work ethic and isn't afraid in run support either. His biggest need is to put on some weight for playing the run.

Hopefully he progresses and will be able to at least have consideration to start.

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
      Well, yea McCree came out of nowhere himself but just because Steve Smith was a drafted as a punt returner doesn't mean Ryne Robinson is going to be the best WR in the league in 5 years. Though I do think Ryne does have a lot of upside as a WR...
      Chris Harris has 20 starts on one of the best defenses. Ryne Robinson has none. Their playing styles are very similar it is obvious, neither excells at coverage but is a big hitter at times and in run support.

Also, comparing Robinson to Smith is different, because Smith is arguably the best at his position. We never said McCree was a perenial probowler, or that Harris is like Dawkins.
      Last edited by ShutDwn; 08-03-2007, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Hows dwayne jarret doing in camp? and where is he projected on the depth chart?

Originally posted by CraigNall4MVP
        biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver

Comment

• Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
          Chris Harris has 20 starts on one of the best defenses. Ryne Robinson has none. Their playing styles are very similar it is obvious, neither excells at coverage but is a big hitter at times and in run support.

Also, comparing Robinson to Smith is different, because Smith is arguably the best at his position. We never said McCree was a perenial probowler, or that Harris is like Dawkins.
          All I meant is that just because two players are similar doesn't mean they're capable of the same things. And the fact that Harris has 20 starts on a good team just helps my case, because proven players are only proven to be what they are. And Harris was proven to be average with the Bears. But that's fine, because the Panthers had a ton of players that were either proven to suck or are young.

Now, I'll say there's a lot of upside with Harris. It sounds like he fits this defense well, he's a run stopper more than a coverage guy...which is what how our coaches like their safeties. I read an article where he says stuff like "I know my limitations" so we shouldn't have any dumb mistakes. Plus, he's still young. So maybe he could pull a McCree for us. I just think it's unfair to expect it of him. When we signed Shaun Williams last year I thought maybe he could resurrect his career back with his old coach a la McCree (minus the coach) and he just did what he's always done, get injured and play mediocre.

Comment

• i feel pretty confident in a guy who's played 20 games in 2 seasons on one of the best secondarys in the league

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
              All I meant is that just because two players are similar doesn't mean they're capable of the same things. And the fact that Harris has 20 starts on a good team just helps my case, because proven players are only proven to be what they are. And Harris was proven to be average with the Bears. But that's fine, because the Panthers had a ton of players that were either proven to suck or are young.

Now, I'll say there's a lot of upside with Harris. It sounds like he fits this defense well, he's a run stopper more than a coverage guy...which is what how our coaches like their safeties. I read an article where he says stuff like "I know my limitations" so we shouldn't have any dumb mistakes. Plus, he's still young. So maybe he could pull a McCree for us. I just think it's unfair to expect it of him. When we signed Shaun Williams last year I thought maybe he could resurrect his career back with his old coach a la McCree (minus the coach) and he just did what he's always done, get injured and play mediocre.
              Yeah, but Williams was an injury ridden veteren. McCree was only a 5th year player with no injuries. Shaun was a ninth year player, who had suffered back to back knee injuries, one on each knee. He was obviously never a contributer after that.

Comment

• John Clayton just said that we have Jon Beason signed and he is on a plane headed to Panthers' camp.

http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/224115.html

Expected to finalize deal tomorrow in Charlotte.
                Last edited by JustJoe2k5; 08-04-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Awesome. I was never a fan of the hold out, but I felt that it was his right to do what was necessary.

Now he will be a little behind, but it is only a week. He has an entire preseason to get back into it, and probably more, as Diggs/Morgan will probably be around to start the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
                    Awesome. I was never a fan of the hold out, but I felt that it was his right to do what was necessary.

Now he will be a little behind, but it is only a week. He has an entire preseason to get back into it, and probably more, as Diggs/Morgan will probably be around to start the season.
                    Have they ever commented on what injury Na'il Diggs had? They had an article on the Panthers' website which talked about how some of our younger linebackers like James Anderson were getting an opportunity to practice with the #1 defense because Diggs was injured.

With a core of Anderson / Beason / Davis, we should have a fantastic group of linebackers in a year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
                      Have they ever commented on what injury Na'il Diggs had? They had an article on the Panthers' website which talked about how some of our younger linebackers like James Anderson were getting an opportunity to practice with the #1 defense because Diggs was injured.

With a core of Anderson / Beason / Davis, we should have a fantastic group of linebackers in a year or two.
                      Mhm, Anderson could be the future player at the weakside.

Davis for some reason is being said to not have played well. People are bashing him for his coverage, but it was actually pretty good. It was his first year starting, and really ever playing the position. He will only get better and won't have to play so reserved, and he will be able to unleash his talent instead of having to think before everything.

Comment

• Mike Minter has made it official and will retire. Don't know if I like the inexperience we'll have at safety now.

Comment

• Apparently, Keary Colbert has moved past Drew Carter on the depth chart and is now the starter opposite Steve Smith.

I hope that Colbert is not a starter by default.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericcartman View Post
                            Apparently, Keary Colbert has moved past Drew Carter on the depth chart and is now the starter opposite Steve Smith.

I hope that Colbert is not a starter by default.
                            No, he has been tearing it up in camp, running routes well and going across the middle making tough grabs. He is also said to be running the ball into the endzone every time regardless if he is tackled.

+ Receiver Drew Carter appears to be tumbling down the depth chart. Keary Colbert got most of the first-team snaps. But a healthy Jarrett may be the best bet to win the starting position.
                            I still don't think Colbert is a bad player and has the ability to do what he did in 04.

Comment

• this is the third year in a row keary colbert has looked great in training camp and the past two regular seasons he was horrible. im glad hes doing well but i will not be satisfied with him being the starter until he proves during the regular season that he is meant to be there.

Sig by DLS42

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstAndGoal View Post
                                this is the third year in a row keary colbert has looked great in training camp and the past two regular seasons he was horrible. im glad hes doing well but i will not be satisfied with him being the starter until he proves during the regular season that he is meant to be there.
                                Difference is the offense.

People forget that Davidson said that everyone is getting reevaluated. Of course for people like Smith, he doesn't really need too.

Colbert didn't do well in HENNING'S offense. That was last year, where we just hiked the ball on one, and everyone ran separate routes, none of them working off each other. Colbert was running routes that he shouldn't be, he isn't going to beat people deep, and but he is good across the middle and after the catch.

Davidson is even doing things differently with Smith, moving him around to create mismatches and getting him open.

As said by the idiot himself, Henning's offense was "feed the stud". That meant he would try and get the ball to Smith as much as possible, not really trying to get a solid drive, or work in some other guys to spread the defense. Once you got in Henning's dog house, you stayed in it and that was a huge problem. Henning only like players who could get obviously open and relied on their athleticism. Players like Smith and Carter deep.

Colbert would have easily been a very good WR for the Patriots last year. They don't need guys that are crazy athletic though they added Moss, they proved it last year going with Caldwell and Gaffney.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information