No announcement yet.

Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, Jakes pick was aweful. Not only did he have no room to step up causing him to throw a weak pass, but he threw almost an identical pass the play before that was almost picked.

Pathetic. Then they proceed to give up two sacks in the next three plays. Someone get open please.

People are blaming Gamble for a bad game, but he actually was pretty good in run support and blitzing. The long play was a result of a bad angle taken by Chris Harris, for some reason he changed it when he was running. He would have been able to knock it away or at least tackle him. Gamble was playing a trail technique, which would mean he had help over the top.

Thomas Davis is looking really fast though, looks really good blitzing. He also did something interesting before the snap, he started running straight down the middle of the field as if he were going to play a deep zone. Something to add some speed back there maybe.

The WR are bothering me though. Honestly, if neither Colbert nor Carter want to step up, they should take a back seat to players who play with smarts and intangibles. Carter dropped what could have been a 10 yard gain on third down with no one around him.

I hope that Jarret, Robinson and who ever else makes the roster, Biddle/Horn can really step up and take those spots. They seem to want it more.

Comment

• Agree on the #2 wideouts sucking. It looks like we have another 2005 situation unless a rookie steps up. Carter is a track star, not a football player. He's a nice guy to have as a 4th WR to run a 60 yard fly route and pray for PI twice a game, but other than that he's worthless. And Colbert, well you guys know how I feel about him. I didn't notice Gamble sucking any more than usual and yes, the long TD was Chris Harris' fault.

LBs were awful in coverage. The DLine wasn't bad, but the defense is built on Peppers and it just isn't the same without him. McClover is a good pass rusher, but I don't think he's ever heard the word "containment" in his life. Don't look for him to see time anywhere but 3rd down.

Offense just sucked. Foster continues to look better than I thought he would, however. I do not like Goings seeing lots of carries and hope that's just a preseason/resting D-Will thing. I do like Goings as the KR, he's not going to get you a long return ever but he'll almost always break even (20 yd line) and usually gets 25-30. Funny thing yesterday is that ST was the only aspect of the team that wasn't embarrassingly bad, completely opposite of last week

I'm going to be pissed when Gross gets a 50 million dollar extension. He's just not worth it. Is he bad? No, but he's not great either. And he's playing RT. Damn

Did any of the 2nd-3rd string guys look good? I bolted at half time to see Superbad with some guys. I see Carr had a rush TD but heard he looked almost as bad as Jake passing

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
        Agree on the #2 wideouts sucking. It looks like we have another 2005 situation unless a rookie steps up. Carter is a track star, not a football player. He's a nice guy to have as a 4th WR to run a 60 yard fly route and pray for PI twice a game, but other than that he's worthless. And Colbert, well you guys know how I feel about him. I didn't notice Gamble sucking any more than usual and yes, the long TD was Chris Harris' fault.

LBs were awful in coverage. The DLine wasn't bad, but the defense is built on Peppers and it just isn't the same without him. McClover is a good pass rusher, but I don't think he's ever heard the word "containment" in his life. Don't look for him to see time anywhere but 3rd down.

Offense just sucked. Foster continues to look better than I thought he would, however. I do not like Goings seeing lots of carries and hope that's just a preseason/resting D-Will thing. I do like Goings as the KR, he's not going to get you a long return ever but he'll almost always break even (20 yd line) and usually gets 25-30. Funny thing yesterday is that ST was the only aspect of the team that wasn't embarrassingly bad, completely opposite of last week

I'm going to be pissed when Gross gets a 50 million dollar extension. He's just not worth it. Is he bad? No, but he's not great either. And he's playing RT. Damn

Did any of the 2nd-3rd string guys look good? I bolted at half time to see Superbad with some guys. I see Carr had a rush TD but heard he looked almost as bad as Jake passing

Didn't watch the second half.

Feel the same way about Gross, he isn't anything special I don't know why we care so much about him.

McClover completely ran himself out of one play leading to Westbrook getting 12 yards.

Colbert needs to step up mentally or something, he has the tools to be pretty reliable as a slot receiver, however Robinson is looking more in tune with the game and wants it more. He is really smooth as a WR and catches well. People like to make comparisons to Smith, but he reminds me of Deion Branch but a little smaller, though he could add some weight.

Goings may be able to break a decent one once in a while, maybe to the 45 or something. You never know on special teams.

Adam Seward and Diggs didn't do a good job in coverage, every time Seward would drop back he would move and then a receiver would slide through for a catch in his vacated spot. Davis wasn't beaten on coverage once I don't think. I watched him pretty close.

Comment

• The commentators named Jason Baker, the punter, the player of the game. That's how bad it was. I agree with pretty much everything that has already been said. Alex Haynes had a really nice run late in the game that was called back because of a penalty. At this point, I think he has a better shot to make the roster or practice squad than Eric Shelton. I had hoped that Richard Marshall's performance last season would have motivated Chris Gamble to step it up to hold on to his starter's position, seems like that didn't happen. I just hope this game was a result of the lack of a gameplan and isn't indicative of what this team will be like in the regular season.

Hopefully, David Carr will get atleast a quarter with the #1 offense next week. I think it's time to see if we have a better option than Jake Delhomme on the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
            The commentators named Jason Baker, the punter, the player of the game. That's how bad it was. I agree with pretty much everything that has already been said. Alex Haynes had a really nice run late in the game that was called back because of a penalty. At this point, I think he has a better shot to make the roster or practice squad than Eric Shelton. I had hoped that Richard Marshall's performance last season would have motivated Chris Gamble to step it up to hold on to his starter's position, seems like that didn't happen. I just hope this game was a result of the lack of a gameplan and isn't indicative of what this team will be like in the regular season.

Hopefully, David Carr will get atleast a quarter with the #1 offense next week. I think it's time to see if we have a better option than Jake Delhomme on the roster.
            Gamble didn't play badly though... He played pretty well in coverage except for only one play that was only a completion because of a good catch. The other play, I don't see as a big deal because he is playing a TE, if he wanted to run with him he could, but he let him get behind him cause he had help from the safety.

Hopefully the receivers will do a much better job if they have a gameplan. But also realize, we plan on running more than we did. That will help them, well, if Jake wants to actually sell a play action for a change.

Comment

• Beason is going to be starting out WOLB, and Morgan will be playing too. The move doesn't have anything to do with Digg's injury either apparently. Beason sure has worked up to the starting position fast.

We could have a really good linebacker group this year. They are all very athletic.

Comment

• Our future may be even better. Jon Beason will eventually take over for Dan Morgan in the next year or two and James Anderson will step into Beason's current role. Anderson / Beason / Davis just seems like it will be a nasty group of linebackers in the future. If either Charles Johnson or Stanley McClover develop into the players most scouts think they can be, we'll also have a fantastic duo at defensive end with either one opposite of Julius Peppers. If Dwayne Jarrett develops into the wide receiver he is expected to be, we'll probably have the best size / speed combination of wide receivers in the NFL. DeAngelo Williams is still there ready to take over when the coaches realize DeShaun Foster is a waste of space. The future is bright for this team, it's just the present we have to be concerned about.

Comment

• Not to sure about the Foster statement. You can't deny that Foster has been a lot better this year and very decisive.

It isn't arguable that we have been trying to fill a square hole with a circular peg. Foster isn't a power runner, and our lineman aren't power blockers. The team just figured that out.

Comment

• The Pats abused us tonight

This team blows. If Crossman doesn't get fired before the end of the year I'm going to start a group to bring FIRE CROSSMAN posters to games

Also Tim Lewis is a terrible DB coach. Seifert-esque with the 20 yard cushions. Chris Harris sucks in coverage

Colbert looked good. Stone Hands made a couple plays after dropping a 1st down early too

Comment

• We show our defenses way to fast, that is our biggest problem. That and we don't like covering the 5-10 yard area in the middle of the field.

Or covering a three wide bunch with only one man.

Comment

• Its preseason we were in a cover two shell for 90% of the night, who gives a ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                          Its preseason we were in a cover two shell for 90% of the night, who gives a ****.
                          Well, it doesn't help the defense to practice their plays when they are showing what they are doing to the offense way to early. Nothing will be successfull especially against Brady.

But, when Morgan left, it went downhill, which is good/bad.

If he goes down, Beason will eventually become the leader. He is going to be a very good player.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                            Its preseason we were in a cover two shell for 90% of the night, who gives a ****.
                            The "it's just preseason" excuse is all fine depending on context. The defense gets a pass, it's been fine for the last 5 years and the only real turnover this year was at safety, which is minimized in our scheme anyway. Plus Morgan and Peppers only played like two series. But the offense was dreadful, the run game hasn't looked good apart from when it played the Giants (and the old run scheme looked good against the Giants, so that doesn't say anything) and Special Teams, which was a HUGE problem last year, has gotten worse, aside from the fact that they got a real punt returner

None of this matters if it's fixed come Week 1 (which we all know given the Panther's preseason success in the past) but if it isn't, you can't say the writing wasn't on the wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                              The "it's just preseason" excuse is all fine depending on context. The defense gets a pass, it's been fine for the last 5 years and the only real turnover this year was at safety, which is minimized in our scheme anyway. Plus Morgan and Peppers only played like two series. But the offense was dreadful, the run game hasn't looked good apart from when it played the Giants (and the old run scheme looked good against the Giants, so that doesn't say anything) and Special Teams, which was a HUGE problem last year, has gotten worse, aside from the fact that they got a real punt returner

None of this matters if it's fixed come Week 1 (which we all know given the Panther's preseason success in the past) but if it isn't, you can't say the writing wasn't on the wall.
                              About the run game, they came out and said that they wanted to open the offense up against the Eagles and see how it would go passing the ball more than running it. As you could see by by Foster's and Williams' combined six total rush attempts.

Playing with a new system against a team that has been a habitual top 5-10 defense with veterans all across the defense isn't going to be easy.

Special teams hasn't been bad at all either. First game had some trouble tackling, easily fixable, second game was fine and Baker has been great. Third game had two blocked kicks, which is easily fixed as well. Those are miscommunications that will be fixed once they see the tape.

This is the first year in a new offense, it isn't going to be perfect. There will be miscommunications and mistakes.

Comment

• Special Teams was good in Week 2. They didn't do anything amazing but they didnt suck, which made them stand out since everyone else blew against the Eagles

Baker and Kasay were great last year, that's not the concern. It's the other 10 guys. The only plus ST player we have is Adam Seward. Kyle is a good LS too, but beyond that it's ugly

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information