Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVP today: DeShaun Foster

I wish they had gone to him more earlier, he always destroys the Falcons. Smith got shut down by Hall on all but a couple plays (and he only gets 12 yards on the stat sheet) but that string of penalties was HUGE and turned the game around. Also he did have Hall burned on the PI, that was a sure TD but Hall made a smart play by dragging him down

Other than that, well...I'll try to keep it brief. I want to feel good that we won, but man was that an ugly game other than the result, Foster and Jeff King. Very discouraging play in the first half and I'm starting to teeter on that Fire Fox bandwagon. The soft zone BS on defense is getting old, but we also got burned on blitzes too. It's weird saying this, since it almost never happens in our favor, but I think we were given a game by the refs

To end on a happy note, nice to see that we have a backup who can come in and not be woefully incompetent. Good job subbing in by Carr with the Michael Jackson gloves and all

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
      MVP today: DeShaun Foster

I wish they had gone to him more earlier, he always destroys the Falcons. Smith got shut down by Hall on all but a couple plays (and he only gets 12 yards on the stat sheet) but that string of penalties was HUGE and turned the game around. Also he did have Hall burned on the PI, that was a sure TD but Hall made a smart play by dragging him down

Other than that, well...I'll try to keep it brief. I want to feel good that we won, but man was that an ugly game other than the result, Foster and Jeff King. Very discouraging play in the first half and I'm starting to teeter on that Fire Fox bandwagon. The soft zone BS on defense is getting old, but we also got burned on blitzes too. It's weird saying this, since it almost never happens in our favor, but I think we were given a game by the refs

To end on a happy note, nice to see that we have a backup who can come in and not be woefully incompetent. Good job subbing in by Carr with the Michael Jackson gloves and all
      I'm in complete in agreement. Ugly game on defense, completely awful. I though Jake was playing pretty well, Foster and King were great today too. However, it is hard to tell how it was different because Foster has made running like that a trend against them.

On the other side, the stats don't lie, our record when Foster goes 20 plus carries or over 100 yards is pretty damn good. I don't have the number right now though.

I seriously don't know if the coaches are able to see correctly. Because if they could they would see wide receivers running shallow 5-10 yard routes and picking up good yardage. I don't know how we won with our defense like that. Peppers continues to suck this season, there is no sugar coating it. He got no push, and I'm not surprised that some nobody LT didn't get pushed back at all, seems to happen a lot. When we blitzed we did better in my opinion. Chris Harris was everywhere, the Bears really know how to teach the art of stripping the ball. He does it so well, I'm glad he carried it over here. Although he isn't the most talented, I like his attitude and the play against the run.

Regarding the refs though, I could see why someone would say they gave it to us. But I think both the calls on Hall could be justified in an acceptable way to the Referees commissioner. The shoving one could very well have been trying to stop the yelling and get them to back off. Granted it wasn't in the face, it had nothing to do with the play, the other was described as abusive words towards the ref. They can call that and they did, Steve knows how refs can be bastards and I think he bated Hall.

And yes, Carr needs to cut his hair, shave his facial hair and get rid of the gloves. His jersey also looks stupid.

Comment

• I believe we're 21-2 now when Foster gets 15 or more carries.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPF View Post
          I believe we're 21-2 now when Foster gets 15 or more carries.
          Yeah, that is correct. We need him to get the ball. He also had a really nice catch, that was fantastic.

Jake played really well, pretty calm even though he had Abraham in his back pocket the whole game.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, we have a TE!!!!!! Great game for Jeff, 4 catches, 56 yards and a TD.

Comment

• The Foster thing is a little misleading. You run the ball to eat clock when you're winning, I imagine most teams have good numbers with their RBs getting a certain threshold of carries. If you forcefeed Foster 20 carries a game that isnt an auto-win. Though it is extremely frustrating when you see us running well and we abandon it for 2 quarters

Comment

• Reading some of the post game quotes reminded me that I forgot to mention Gamble. It's only 3 games, but he has been very impressive this year

PANTHERS CB CHRIS GAMBLE
              On his relative shut down corner play:
              ďI just played aggressively and waited to make a play on the ball. They just didnít come my way much today and thatís OK. Iíll let Steve Smith and DeAngelo Hall get the attention. Iím just out there trying to make plays.Ē

I have been his biggest critic but that is a real mature quote, especially for someone like him who has been pegged as a DeAngelo Hall type player at times. Of course you want your CBs to have confidence and be a little cocky but you also dont want them losing you a game with dumb penalties by putting their own play over the team's

Comment

• I was watching the Will Ferrell skit with him playing USC's conditioning coach Chuck Berry and I was wondering how well Ryan Kalil is doing. Are his talents being wasted at guard?

Originally posted by Halsey
                I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Reading some of the post game quotes reminded me that I forgot to mention Gamble. It's only 3 games, but he has been very impressive this year

PANTHERS CB CHRIS GAMBLE
                  On his relative shut down corner play:
                  ďI just played aggressively and waited to make a play on the ball. They just didnít come my way much today and thatís OK. Iíll let Steve Smith and DeAngelo Hall get the attention. Iím just out there trying to make plays.Ē

I have been his biggest critic but that is a real mature quote, especially for someone like him who has been pegged as a DeAngelo Hall type player at times. Of course you want your CBs to have confidence and be a little cocky but you also dont want them losing you a game with dumb penalties by putting their own play over the team's
                  Gamble has been amazingly quiet, and I saw that in the absolute most positive way possible. His play has been outstanding really. He seems to be concentrating a great amount and playing with a lot of intelligence rather than relying on athleticism as much.

Lucas has been thrown at a lot more, likely because of Gamble's play, and the fact that Lucas is a little down on confidence and a bigger risk taker now. But a confident Lucas is great, hopefully he gets it back soon.

Gamble is worlds apart from last year, he looks collected instead of constantly frazzled.

Also, I think this is a step in the right direction:

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/290213.html

That was enough to get the Panthers to 2-1 and set up a showdown of NFC South leaders when Tampa Bay comes to Bank of America Stadium next week, but one Carolina player still was harping on the theme of composure in the locker room.

"I don't think how we played on the field today would have been capable of winning the Super Bowl," Jenkins said. "I think that we have a ways to go and that's what we have to work toward."

After a season-opening victory in St. Louis, Jenkins made a similar comment. Then, the Panthers came out and were slugged by Houston in their home opener. Jenkins said the rest of the Panthers need to take a lesson from Smith and not get too caught up in the emotion of a single win in a 16-game season.

"I think some of the things that are the problem with us, we don't adjust to them," Jenkins said. "I'm going to get in trouble for saying that, but it's an honest thing. I think some of the things that we have issues with, we don't address them and I think they need to be addressed.

"I'm not calling out one person or any group. I'm saying every person on this team can do something better -- players, coaches, whoever. If a lot of people can learn to be humble and look at themselves and see what they can do better before they start pointing the finger, I think that will make us a bigger team.".

Finally.

Comment

• "It's an issue and I think it's been overlooked in the past," Jenkins said. "The issue is that we don't handle success well. ... We won (Sunday). But can we win again? And that, I guess, is a challenge to my team if I'm saying it in the paper. We won. Can we put two together? Can we put three together? Can we find a way to win without getting all full of ourselves."
                    http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/291141.html

I recommend reading the entire thing. Someone should rip the "c" off Pepper's jersey and sew it to Jenkins.

Players naturally do this usually spare a few teams/players, and it is the coaches job and the leaders of that unit to keep them focused. We have no leader on defense, and our offense has two leaders. The offense looks to be steadily improving, though it is hard to measure against the Falcons defense. The defense seems to be steadily declining.

I don't want to really say it is because of Minter either, because these same problems were here when he was. He was out of position as much as anyone last year.

On a different subject though, I don't think we can just keep rushing four and expect to somehow pull a pass rush out of our ass. Alright, here is how I see it. Big offensive plays happen a lot on blitzes, the secondary and linebackers are most vulnerable. Big defensive plays also happen on blitzes too though.

Now, someone tell me the difference between these two drives

Drive A: without blitzing that lasts 12 plays 80 yards and goes for a TD

Drive B: with blitzing that lasts 6 plays, 80 yards, and goes for a TD

Not much other than TOP and plays. BUT, my point is: why do these "big plays" matter so much? We are already giving up huge drives and we just sit back and watch them march down the field.

Perhaps morale would be worse if we gave up more big plays. But I scratch my head at that because I think letting a team consistently dominate you for that long is demoralizing, a lot more pathetic then a big play.

What about the safeties? They aren't good enough you might say, we have to protect them, blitzing would leave them vulnerable. Yet letting the QB have 6-7 seconds to throw is protecting them? The best way to protect a weak link is to get in a QBs face as fast as possible. Players aren't interested in a defense where they sit back and let jounrymen QBs throw for 300 yards. They are interested in making plays, and blitzing would let them do that.

In my mind I hope that we will start blitzing, and get some rythem going, get some energy in the defense. Then once that happens we may be able to back off a little and hopefully a re-engergized d-line will take over.

Anyway those are my thoughts, I look forward to your guys'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                      I was watching the Will Ferrell skit with him playing USC's conditioning coach Chuck Berry and I was wondering how well Ryan Kalil is doing. Are his talents being wasted at guard?
                      Kalil is a rookie and looks the part. He was not good at guard for the first two games of the year and is now on the bench. However, he is doing better than his teammate, Jarrett, who hasn't even made it off the inactive list

re: Blitzing and Jenkins, yesterday was ridiculous. There's a difference between playing "bend, but dont break" and that crap they drew up. It's Joey freaking Harrington! Put some bodies in his face and it's game over. That said, we blitzed some and it didnt help because it just got picked up. It comes down to the front 4. Even on blitzes the line is still 4/5, 4/6 or 4/7 of the equation and they are not doing their job so far. I cant wait til we play the Colts and Manning throws for 700 yards

The thing with the defense we play is that, our safeties are so bad that I dont think it even matters. Remember last year the plays at the end of games with Cooley and Colston where the safeties just ****ed up even in prevent coverage and it lead to long TDs? Well yesterday one of the safeties (I believe Manuel) just fell down in front of Roddy White on his long TD. Lucas still should have made the tackle, but the safety made a bigger error.

Comment

Kalil is a rookie and looks the part. He was not good at guard for the first two games of the year and is now on the bench. However, he is doing better than his teammate, Jarrett, who hasn't even made it off the inactive list

re: Blitzing and Jenkins, yesterday was ridiculous. There's a difference between playing "bend, but dont break" and that crap they drew up. It's Joey freaking Harrington! Put some bodies in his face and it's game over. That said, we blitzed some and it didnt help because it just got picked up. It comes down to the front 4. Even on blitzes the line is still 4/5, 4/6 or 4/7 of the equation and they are not doing their job so far. I cant wait til we play the Colts and Manning throws for 700 yards

The thing with the defense we play is that, our safeties are so bad that I dont think it even matters. Remember last year the plays at the end of games with Cooley and Colston where the safeties just ****ed up even in prevent coverage and it lead to long TDs? Well yesterday one of the safeties (I believe Manuel) just fell down in front of Roddy White on his long TD. Lucas still should have made the tackle, but the safety made a bigger error.
                        Agreed we didn't get to him on blitzes, but we came closer then we did without.

For what reason I don't know, we aren't good at executing blitzes, and that needs to change. You better be damn good at getting pressure with your front four if you don't know how to perform a blitz. I don't know what it is, but we always get picked up and it just forms a big line with no penetration. We probably only have one blitz play and expect it to work haha.

Seriously though, Harrington had been sacked 13 times in two games!!!! THAT ISN'T FUNNY. If Fox doesn't see some thing is wrong by now, get that man a guide dog, because he is blind.

Enough John, it isn't what it is.

Garcia and Galloway are going to rip us apart.

Comment

• I wanted to put this is in my sig, but it looked too big

Originally posted by Kris Jenkins
                          I can kind of give an example: When you win a game, you win a game and that's it. It's on to the next game. When you win a game and you go into the next game and come out and score 14 points and then you coast because you feel like you won the Super Bowl, that's when you have a problem and that's what I'm talking about.
                          I hope Jenkins can do a Bulger on Jeff Garcia early next week because if he doesnt, there is no chance we win

Comment

• *hats off* to the Panthers. I blame it on the refs but you guys did what good teams do and took advantage of everything that was given to you. You capitalized on it and got the win. I'm not happy with the ref, I feel like we got jobbed, but I'd rather be in close games and show that winning spirit and end up with a higher draft pick this year lol. I want us to be competitive but this team doesn't seem built offensively for the playoffs yet.

But good job guys, and good luck next week. The Bucs aren't that solid of a squad, a healthy Steve Smith can destroy that defense, and Deangelo Williams is a great back. But here's to a good game next week =)

Comment

I wanted to put this is in my sig, but it looked too big

I hope Jenkins can do a Bulger on Jeff Garcia early next week because if he doesnt, there is no chance we win
                              It is looking more and more like Bulger getting dinged and Pace going out were larger contributers to that game then previously thought. I wanted to give the Panthers some credit, but it doesn't look like they deserve much.

Comment

• James Anderson is starting at MLB ehh? I wonder what happened to Seward? Never panned out I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information